ModelAZ

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck will have yoke steering wheel, Elon Musk says will be a ‘tech bandwagon’

November 29, 2021

Elon Musk confirmed that the Tesla Cybertruck will have a yoke steering wheel, and he also said that the electric pickup truck will be a “technology bandwagon.”

It could mean that it will have a better version of the new steering wheel.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck prototype in 2019, it featured a butterfly steering wheel, or what Tesla calls a “yoke” wheel.

It wasn’t that big of a deal since the vehicle was still only a prototype and production is still in the future.

But Tesla brought the yoke steering wheel to the production versions of the refreshed Model S and Model X.

It was a controversial move both due to the lack of stalks on the wheel with the inputs, like the turn signals being replaced by force touch buttons, and due to the shape, which removes space to grab the wheel.

The latter can make it more difficult to maneuver at slower speeds and when slipping on ice.

On the other hand, the only advantages are the look, which is a matter of perception, and the fact that it enables a better view of the instrument cluster.

The main complaint from Tesla buyers has been the lack of the yoke being an option, especially since Tesla has been spotted testing the new Model S with a regular wheel prior to the launch.

Now Musk was asked about the Cybertruck getting the yoke steering wheel, and he appears to confirm that it will have the yoke steering wheel:

The CEO added that the Cybertruck will bring a lot of new technology:
Cybertruck will reach far into a post-apocalyptic future and bring that technology to now.
He didn’t elaborate on what technology, but he seemed to give a clue regarding the steering wheel.

We thought that Tesla wouldn’t risk bringing the controversial yoke steering wheel to market without a non-linear steering curve enabled by a steer-by-wire system. Especially knowing that Tesla has been developing a steer-by-wire system.

However, as Tesla started deliveries of the new Model S Plaid last month, we were surprised to see that the wheel had a normal 14.0:1 steering ratio, and it’s proving to be impractical at lower speeds.

Musk later confirmed that Tesla is indeed working on progressive steering, but he said that it’s still years away.

Today, in connection to the yoke steering wheel, Musk did say that steer-by-wire would be “ideal”:
Variable gain (steer by wire) yoke would be ideal…
If the Cybertruck is going to be a new “technology bandwagon,” could it become Tesla’s first vehicle to get steer-by-wire?

Tesla is expected to bring the Cybertruck to market by the end of next year, but Musk said that he will give a product road map update early in 2022.
Sponsored

FHWizard

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester Sport, M3 LR, MY LR, CT tri reserv
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I would rather have a conventional steering wheel and some basic controls for volume, climate etc but I'll put up with the "lifestyle" options to have actual truck features like 3500 lb load, durability and rock/dent/rust resistance.

samroy92

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
samroy.io
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, CT Tri/Quad FSD
Occupation
Head of Technology (SW, DevOps, IT, Security)
Country flag
I think steer by wire is the only way the yoke will work, software based variable steering ratio sounds amazing. I'm a tech guy, lets make as much of this truck software as we can...

Alan

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 S90D ,2014Tacoma, Cyberbeast ordered 2/13/24
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck will have yoke steering wheel, Elon Musk says will be a ‘tech bandwagon’

November 29, 2021

Elon Musk confirmed that the Tesla Cybertruck will have a yoke steering wheel, and he also said that the electric pickup truck will be a “technology bandwagon.”

It could mean that it will have a better version of the new steering wheel.

When Tesla unveiled the Cybertruck prototype in 2019, it featured a butterfly steering wheel, or what Tesla calls a “yoke” wheel.

It wasn’t that big of a deal since the vehicle was still only a prototype and production is still in the future.

But Tesla brought the yoke steering wheel to the production versions of the refreshed Model S and Model X.

It was a controversial move both due to the lack of stalks on the wheel with the inputs, like the turn signals being replaced by force touch buttons, and due to the shape, which removes space to grab the wheel.

The latter can make it more difficult to maneuver at slower speeds and when slipping on ice.

On the other hand, the only advantages are the look, which is a matter of perception, and the fact that it enables a better view of the instrument cluster.

The main complaint from Tesla buyers has been the lack of the yoke being an option, especially since Tesla has been spotted testing the new Model S with a regular wheel prior to the launch.

Now Musk was asked about the Cybertruck getting the yoke steering wheel, and he appears to confirm that it will have the yoke steering wheel:

The CEO added that the Cybertruck will bring a lot of new technology:

He didn’t elaborate on what technology, but he seemed to give a clue regarding the steering wheel.

We thought that Tesla wouldn’t risk bringing the controversial yoke steering wheel to market without a non-linear steering curve enabled by a steer-by-wire system. Especially knowing that Tesla has been developing a steer-by-wire system.

However, as Tesla started deliveries of the new Model S Plaid last month, we were surprised to see that the wheel had a normal 14.0:1 steering ratio, and it’s proving to be impractical at lower speeds.

Musk later confirmed that Tesla is indeed working on progressive steering, but he said that it’s still years away.

Today, in connection to the yoke steering wheel, Musk did say that steer-by-wire would be “ideal”:

If the Cybertruck is going to be a new “technology bandwagon,” could it become Tesla’s first vehicle to get steer-by-wire?

Tesla is expected to bring the Cybertruck to market by the end of next year, but Musk said that he will give a product road map update early in 2022.
A yoke makes maneuvering harder on ice? No.... that's excessive speed, not the shape of the steering device at play. Some people are complaining about the yoke because some people fear change, and others complain about anything and everything. is it different? yes. Move on and worry about something that matters., like the state of failing democracy in the US.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
A yoke makes maneuvering harder on ice? No.... that's excessive speed, not the shape of the steering device at play. Some people are complaining about the yoke because some people fear change, and others complain about anything and everything. is it different? yes. Move on and worry about something that matters., like the state of failing democracy in the US.
Unless I am white knuckling the mountain passes right before the state closes the Freeway, I regularly steer with my fingers. I know it sounds silly, but every power steering setup I have ever driven has been easy enough to use one finger to turn the steering wheel or yoke lock to lock with just a finger. I anticipate the yoke will be just as convenient in a parking lot at 2 mph as it is on the track trying to waste as much tire and electricity as possible.

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag

This is contrary to the reports I have read.

myrickma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Cybertruck
Country flag
4 Wheel Steering, keep this in mind. This might make a full wheel unnecessary or even a nuisance.

Then...seriously.....I cannot be more excited to see this technological terror! Screw bells and whistles, CT might be a Guillotine for OEMs who just add more buttons to add tech.
It'll be S3XY as hell too.
Sponsored