Elon Musk cuts Ukraine’s Starlink satellites

Deleted member 5322

What’s the problem? Someone has to pay for starlinks and the service.
Do you want to pay for it???
Ukraine is the most corrupted country in the Europe. They are sucking our (Americans) money. Why should I personally pay for Russia, Ukraine, Zimbabwe, or any other country? If they want to fight instead of diplomatically solve the agreement - that is their problem. And EM is right stopping FREE internet service. Nothing is free. It costs a ton of money to produce satellites, launch them to the space, produce starlink receivers and ship them overseas.
Nothing personal, business is a business.
In regards to $TSLA price - I am so glad I can double my position while it is 50% lower than a year ago. If it goes to $150 level - I will sell one of my cars and load even more. Will see the share price when they start cracking cyberattacks next year...

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
paywalld... but Im pretty sure hes cutting starlink use to the parts of Ukraine that are under Russian rule.
seems logical

Deleted member 5322

EM was sent out “f**ck off” by the Ukrainian ambassador.
What do they want after that???
Instead of being thankful for 7-8 months of free internet service for their military, they laud out their rudeness using Twitter.
What would you personally do if you were in EM’s shoes?

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
If it was me I'd be worried I wasn't painting a target on my own back being involved in miltary ops at all. If the USA gov. pays for it, it's their support not as much EMs.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Someone is upset because SpaceX has only provided 1/8 of a billion in aid to Ukraine and would like to cut the rate of burn to something under $240 next year?

People do realize that SpaceX is not profitable right now right?

OP
OP
Space monkey

Space monkey

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fat Cat
Occupation
Philosopher
Country flag
I don’t think it was ever about money, if that was the case he would’ve given usa/nato/ukraine more time to figure out how to pay for it or do without it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Someone is upset because SpaceX has only provided 1/8 of a billion in aid to Ukraine and would like to cut the rate of burn to something under $240 next year?

People do realize that SpaceX is not profitable right now right?
I think there's some doubt as to the actual expenses.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I think there's some doubt as to the actual expenses.

-Crissa
There is typical hypocritical nonsense.

If the actual expenses aren’t very high why would it be a big deal if SpaceX stopped funding it?

People say SpaceX isn’t doing anything… then they complain that they want someone to pay for it.

Need to make up their mind. If there is no value to what SpaceX donated so far, who cares if they stop?

MiguelAznar

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck 3-motor
Country flag
Politico
By CRAIG HOWIE
10/15/2022 03:29 PM EDT

Elon Musk says SpaceX will continue to financially support its Starlink terminals in Ukraine after all.

The SpaceX founder and high-profile tech entrepreneur sent a letter to the Pentagon in September asking the agency to take over funding for the satellite communication system, which the company donated to Ukraine earlier this year after Russia’s invasion.

“The hell with it … even though Starlink is still losing money & other companies are getting billions of taxpayer $, we’ll just keep funding Ukraine govt for free,” Musk tweeted Saturdayfollowing a social-media backlash against his proposed halt to funding the service.

Ukrainian leaders have praised Starlink as invaluable for aiding communications between military units and for the Kyiv-based government to maintain contact with commanders and the outside world. It is also widely used by Ukraine’s civilian population.

Ukraine has about 20,000 Starlink satellite units, according to SpaceX. Musk said last week that the “operation has cost SpaceX $80 million and will exceed $100 million by the end of the year,” although funding for the terminals comes from a variety of sources.

However, Musk has continued to needle his critics with his pronouncements, saying Friday he was “following the recommendation” of a Ukrainian diplomat who told the billionaire to “fuck off,” by proposing to shift funding responsibility for the terminals.

Musk this week announced he’d developed a plan for a ceasefire in Ukraine, reportedly following conversations with Russian President Vladimir Putin, which was widely mocked for following Russian talking points.
The Pentagon on Friday said it was speaking to other satellite communications companies following Musk’s moves.
“There’s not just SpaceX, there are other entities that we can certainly partner with when it comes to providing Ukraine with what they need on the battlefield,” Sabrina Singh, the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary, said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/15/elon-musk-will-fund-ukraines-starlink-00061982

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Elon's ceasefire was poorly received because it amounted to consolidating the territorial military aggression of Russia.

At any rate,

It doesn't seem like he's showing much empathy, but he hasn't pulled support from the Ukrainians yet.

-Crissa
Sponsored