Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
I wonder how much the CT (let's say the dual motor) would cost if I chose ALL THE OPTIONS! :)
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I wonder how much the CT (let's say the dual motor) would cost if I chose ALL THE OPTIONS! :)
Same as if you chose the minimum set (you're new to Tesla, eh?). :ROFLMAO:

rudedawg78

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired USAF, Emergency Manager
Country flag
Same as if you chose the minimum set (you're new to Tesla, eh?). :ROFLMAO:
Why yes I am, sir. The CT will be my first Tesla and if all goes well, I plan to get the Wifey a Tesla (not a CT) next.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I managed to remain optimistic up until his comments during this shareholders meeting. By now Tesla probably has a very good understanding of cost and effort to build this thing. Elon has done a 180 from saying this would be easier and more efficient to produce to now saying its very difficult and hard to manufacture. Any confidence I had for this truck being truly affordable to the masses is out the window. Tesla has just been stacking pillows underneath us to soften the fall when we pass out at seeing the price. At this point I'm just planning to keep my existing 8 year old car for another 3-4 years and see what happens.
No, he has not made a 180. His words meant exactly what he said.

Think of it this way: I designed a sunshade tent that goes up in an hour, is as large as a garage (fits my car and camping tent inside) and fits on the roof of said car in transit. It survives 50mph sustained winds! It's very easy to assemble and disassemble, and leaves no earthworks on the ground.

Coming up with the initial engineering was easy. Sure 30' arches bend naturally at the right pressures, they anchor easily. It all looked simple.

But actually putting it into play was much more difficult - I was dealing with 20' lengths of 1-1/4" pipe that twist and have lots of leverage and wobble around, we went through four drilling jigs, and remanufactured it twice before it worked.

Now it's easy to make. We did that hard work of figuring out the jigs and sewing needed, and now it just slips together and pops right up. Even the last time I had to remanufacture some pieces - added a spar and a new tarp and some new sewing it only took a little time.

Something can be difficult in one place to make it easy in the repeatable part.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I managed to remain optimistic up until his comments during this shareholders meeting. By now Tesla probably has a very good understanding of cost and effort to build this thing. Elon has done a 180 from saying this would be easier and more efficient to produce to now saying its very difficult and hard to manufacture. Any confidence I had for this truck being truly affordable to the masses is out the window. Tesla has just been stacking pillows underneath us to soften the fall when we pass out at seeing the price. At this point I'm just planning to keep my existing 8 year old car for another 3-4 years and see what happens.
No, you are conflating two entirely seperate things:

1) The difficulty of the initial ramp of a vehicle built on a radically different platform

2) The cost of manufacture. This is the metric that determines the sales price/profit margin.

The radical new Cybertruck platform is designed to reduce the cost of manufacture, but it takes time to iron out the kinks. Elon has not pivoted on this at all. While he has made recent comments about hoping it's "affordable", that's relative to the economic environment. Higher interest rates increase the actual cost to the consumer rather dramatically. One thing you can be certain of:

You will be getting a lot more for your money than if you buy an F-150 or Silverado, it's just a matter of how many people can afford one.

Let's say you want to buy a truck costing $69,995 and you have only saved up $10,000. Further assumptions are:

sales tax 7%
title, registration and other fees $2,300

The total cost (price, interest, taxes, fees): $90,180 and you will have paid nearly $13K in interest. Your monthly payments would be $1,113.61 for 6 years.

Of course, every dollar you are able to save up beyond the $10K will reduce your total cost by much more than $1.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Yeah. He’s appears to be uncomfortable/ unhappy when referencing pricing. It’s a disappointment/miss for him.
Elon hasn't missed anything on pricing yet. Why don't you wait to find out how much is offered, and at what price? We know the configurations will not line up exactly with the three reveal configurations (they will have additional functionality introduced after the reveal like four-wheel steering and other goodies) but the pricing is still an unknown.

Your constant unsupported negativity is tiring.

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Elon hasn't missed anything on pricing yet. Why don't you wait to find out how much is offered, and at what price? We know the configurations will not line up exactly with the three reveal configurations (they will have additional functionality introduced after the reveal like four-wheel steering and other goodies) but the pricing is still an unknown.

Your constant unsupported negativity is tiring.
Who’s being negative?

get off the forum if you can’t handle a POV that by the way is broadly accepted

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
This thread was supposed to be about option packages and third-party add-ons, but it seems that some are straying off topic or injecting other concerns at times lately.

Even I have not always been the most positive in posts but sometimes I feel some things need to be pointed out. I think we should keep in mind of our aims on this forum when making less positive comments, as hopefully they should be more constructively critical rather than only disrespectful or controlling.

My last thread was critical of some things about the CT, but I pointed out in it that I wanted it to be perceived constructively as possible suggestions for improvements. But even I at times later think I may emphasize a negative side to much, as it's a balancing act. Thinking how hard the team at Tesla has literally been working, and then re-reading my starting post on that thread, I didn't want it to be like at 'hit piece' at all and yet some of it started seeming like that to me so I felt a little sick to my stomach.

I think sometimes we have to watch how we might over-emphasize things. Of course the argument for 'tough love' or whipping a process into line might be valid at certain times, but I think we should look at each situation carefully before just deciding one approach fits all.

I don't deny or retract the things I pointed out, but there is a matter of degree or frequency some things are relevant and how often they would get noticed in real life. We have to be careful because pictures stop time, and taking snapshots from a video inherently make one or two frames or a quick glimpse - turn into minutes or hours of something. So a snapshot of the worst frames out of video footage effectively amplify what those frames are, and in that case I felt very bad for seemingly having amplified the worst. So all I could do was add a few positive contextual examples and move on.

So back to what this thread is supposed to be about - I think a lot of us are getting burnt out on tangents and distractions so I have a Cybertruck related topic I may post tomorrow or this weekend, that hopefully will be perceived as more relative, positive, and supportive for the Cybertruck going forward. More information tomorrow as it's getting pretty late right now.

- ÆCIII

TBONO

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
I don't accept it. Lots of posters don't accept it. It's not reality, so why should we have to?

-Crissa
It’s a POV.
No one has to accept it.

What’s disappointing is the quick jump to call someone a troll if they aren’t waving a low cost CT / I ❤ Elon flag.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
Elon and Tesla kind of lost track of the affordable part when they started adding four wheel steering, four motors, hardware four, heated/ventilated seats, heated steering wheel and such along with a Baja capable air suspension. CT could have been affordable if built like a truck...simple and rugged, but it has become more like an armored model S. I'm cool with it, but it is going to be expensive.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
CT could have been affordable if built like a truck...simple and rugged, but it has become more like an armored model S. I'm cool with it, but it is going to be expensive.

The original $40K Cybertruck Tesla proposed at reveal night 2019Nov was like an armored Model S with exoskeleton & truck bed.

The changes since 2019Nov are not that different.

Quad motor is option for Cybertruck not a standard.
Sponsored