Proflig8tor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Mk7 GTI, Tesla 3 SR+, Mercedes W210 wagon
Country flag
Full disclosure, I do not know a ton about Elon and I am probably much more conservative than most on here.

Can someone help me understand the anticipated negative reaction to Musk being on SNL? The entertainment industry and SNL are historically left leaning, so I assume they would be in love with the biggest pioneer behind EVs and other cutting edge environmentally friendly technology. Why the anticipated hatred?
Best guess is that his dismissive attitude about COVID pisses many people off. His $32,000,0000,000.00 earnings, so far, in 2021 are insane. Our nation is pretty strange when the 50 richest people hold the same amount of wealth as the bottom 186,000,000 citizens.

I do not begrudge Elon's wealth. I love the product, Space X and the teams that are keeping America in the game.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Full disclosure, I do not know a ton about Elon and I am probably much more conservative than most on here.

Can someone help me understand the anticipated negative reaction to Musk being on SNL? The entertainment industry and SNL are historically left leaning, so I assume they would be in love with the biggest pioneer behind EVs and other cutting edge environmentally friendly technology. Why the anticipated hatred? Maybe because he is uber rich and a successful businessman? Did I miss him doing something more controversial than goofily smoking weed on a podcast? Is this an attempt to manufacture interest in the airing? I must be missing something.
Elon's two largest businesses threaten the businesses and holdings of other billionaires, millionaires and family auto businesses. Energy, autos and communications. SpaceX is building the largest satellite network in existence. When people own cash cows they tend to not like change, especially rapid change.

Elon Musk is driving rapid change in multiple sectors and is perceived as an economic threat. So the haters try to discredit him and offer up fake outrage at every opportunity.

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
Elon's two largest businesses threaten the businesses and holdings of other billionaires, millionaires and family auto businesses. Energy, autos and communications. SpaceX is building the largest satellite network in existence. When people own cash cows they tend to not like change, especially rapid change.

Elon Musk is driving rapid change in multiple sectors and is perceived as an economic threat. So the haters try to discredit him and offer up fake outrage at every opportunity.
I could not have said it better. Elon is great for the world, but is also a threat on many levels unseen. Heck, China would love to just have his mind. They can't seem to figure out how they are the emerging powerhouse in the world and can't seem to engineer anything for themselves.

Back to Elon. Great stuff.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Interesting comments.

Oh well, all I can say is that my pre-teen kids are excited about Elon hosting SNL and have asked if they can stay up and watch it with me. That does not happen for most guests, and they have not asked to do that since the first SNL airing post COVID (the Tom Hanks virtual/home edition, which was a bad format but much needed at the time).

Hopefully Saturday's episode will be a good one, and the entertainers can put aside any odd dislikes of Elon.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I doubt the comedians dislike Elon. Comedians tend to be pretty gregarious to begin with, at least outwardly, and they also tend to prize name recognition and fame. So they're more likely than not to be friendly towards him.

Unless there's an advantage to making fun of him. But they don't do that to guests.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag

Can someone help me understand the anticipated negative reaction to Musk being on SNL? The entertainment industry and SNL are historically left leaning, so I assume they would be in love with the biggest pioneer behind EVs and other cutting edge environmentally friendly technology. Why the anticipated hatred? Maybe because he is uber rich and a successful businessman? Did I miss him doing something more controversial than goofily smoking weed on a podcast? Is this an attempt to manufacture interest in the airing? I must be missing something.
I think your view of left vs right might be overly simplistic or stereotypical. Elon himself is FAR from being a darling of the left. And while he is doing many things that the left has often stated as primary directives, he has also made many statements / actions around political issues that would characterize him as much more on the political right.

Beyond that, Elon is making sweeping disruptions on multiple fronts that are seriously disruptive to the upper echelon norms.

So while there are a lot of Elon fans out there, he also has plenty of enemies to go around.

To all that, add in the SNL culture of bringing on professional comedians and entertainers, sprinkled sparingly with politicians in active elections. There have been very few exceptions to that pattern of who the guests were. But in past instances of those exceptions there have also been cast protests including refusing to participate that week. And often in the case of those refusals, the cast members were not brought back the next season.

Overall, I’d say go ahead and watch it if it suits your fancy. Don’t go in with high expectations of hilarity though. Or don’t bother to watch and just wait for the inevitable news comments about the appearance.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
SNL here I come. Give me some Elon!! Make this fun!!

Lisa

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3; ct order RN112771800
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
He totally killed it!

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Now that SNL has aired, and the media has reacted to it, you can see how most of the stories did not cover it in nuetral manner but used it to cast shade on Elon, and by extension, his endeavors.

More than half of the media might lean liberal on social issues but the large media empires are largely owned by billionaires, many of whom also own interest in oil and gas and other well-established industries. They cover stories that serve their interests. Sometimes that simply more clicks or subscriptions but, all too often, coverage is biased to stories that serve their agenda. Casting doubt on the well-established principles of climate change, pushing the narritive that it's a choice between prosperity or oil, etc.

Media bias is the subject of many scientific studies that attempt to objectively measure bias in the media. The results do not support that the media bias leans liberal, at least not on the big economic issues of the day.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
He totally killed it!
I thought Elon did a good job for a non-professional. That said, SNL and it's writing has gone way downhill in recent decades. I watched a bunch of episodes before the most recent one with Elon and was shocked at the poor quality of the acting and especially the writing.

I think most of the material Elon was given was not all that funny and it's a testament to him that he delivered it as well as he did. But SNL is a dead show without new producers and writers. It's gone so far downhill from when I was a semi-regular watcher I can barely believe it has the same name.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That said, SNL and it's writing has gone way downhill in recent decades.
That's... Well, it might be true, but there's a different crew every season. And the vast majority of what they do is bad, and has always been that way.

But looking back, you get to pick out the good things, and only see those, instead of the hours of bad that was between those moments.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's... Well, it might be true, but there's a different crew every season. And the vast majority of what they do is bad, and has always been that way.

But looking back, you get to pick out the good things, and only see those, instead of the hours of bad that was between those moments.

-Crissa
Haha, that's probably true. I was just reacting from my comparison of 7 recent episodes (this season) with the shows I used to watch back in the late '70's to '80's. The acting and delivery was far better as was the material.
Sponsored