Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
After the Rivian Price bump someone got Musk to reply about Cybertruck pricing a bit.

Not entirely sure what this means. Seems like a bit of a dodge to me.

It’s the usual Musk Rorschach test for the reader. Everyone will read into it what they want.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Yeah pens to herd us sheep in for the slaughter of our bank accounts! :p

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Pricing needs to be "compelling" to die-hard ICE people, not just competitive. Especially when everyone is jacking up their price.

I really hope Tesla makes the CT so good and priced so well that even hardcore ICE naysayers have to scratch their chins and say "Damn. . . That's pretty awesome.".

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Pricing needs to be "compelling" to die-hard ICE people, not just competitive. Especially when everyone is jacking up their price.

I really hope Tesla makes the CT so good and priced so well that even hardcore ICE naysayers have to scratch their chins and say "Damn. . . That's pretty awesome.".
That reaction people had when they very first heard the pricing on the Cybertruck.

The collective WTF moment when people realized that this thing was going to be the same price as a 4WD F-150 king cab. That is what I think Musk is talking about retaining. Might be an increase, just not so much to lose that.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Whole Mars Catalog understood very well.

Clearly, Musk said :

1. It needs to be affordable - He is alluding to the final price

2. It is extremely hard to do for Tesla... - which means hard, but they are doing it

3. Others 'Can't Touch This'. - BOOOOM

So in Elonspeak : We have been stretched, but we can do it, and we did it at a price people can afford, which is about the price we said.

Have a good sleep, we will ring you when it's done.

And BTW, other companies are totally fkd.. 10 years behind. They are toast.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I feel pretty safe about the Cybertruck price. Sure, it is likely going to have a bit of an increase. Inflation has been tough recently and unless things settle down, we can't just expect the Cybertruck to remain the same price while everything else gets more expensive.

That aside, the Cybertruck was already expected to be one hell of a truck. With all of the expected features that were being talked about so early after the reveal, I think they probably gave a pretty accurate number.

With the Cybertruck delayed for so long, the supply chain issues that were so bad will likely recover a lot before they start shipping and hopefully inflation settles down very soon as well. Tesla also has the benefit of being such a massive company. The money they have spent to make it possible to mass produce this truck is absolutely insane and those massive upfront costs will make their cost per unit lower.

After all of that, the big things that will change price will likely be options or high trim stuff could be added on to what we already are expecting on all models.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The other thing that gets me about this tweet is the hubris in the second sentence.

If it is extremely hard to do so for Tesla, despite our much greater economies of scale & better technology, then it is damn near impossible for others.
I don’t see how Tesla comes back and posts prices higher than Rivian or Ford with a statement like that.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag

I'm probably not a hardcore ICE person and didn't buy EVs because of environmental altruism. "That's pretty awesome" is almost exactly what I said when I realized I could buy a used MS for less than $40K (before prices went through the roof) that had all of the acceleration I could safely use on the streets, fit my family and large items in the back while at the same time having a very low operating costs. Also, I think it was on "oil change" day for our four ICE vehicles when I thought, I'm really tired of dealing with maintenance (and they were/are fairly reliable).

I bought a used Chevy Bolt for the kids for the same reason (inspite of the acceleration).

There is a reason Tesla sold 1 million cars last year, they make a compelling product at a good price. I believe the CT is going to be very compelling to anyone with an open mind.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Here's my guess:

Affordable version:
$60k + FSD
Dual motor
300 mile range
Single screen
Normal tonneau
No ramp
Fixed suspension
FW steering

Mars Rover Version:
$120k + FSD
Quad motor
500+ mile range
Dash, center and rear screen
Solar tonneau
In built ramp
Air suspension
4W steering

Tesla has dropped trims in the past and based on that trend and what we're seeing I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "bare bones work truck" version and a "super king ranch lariat trd 4x4x16 ultra duty vegan meat chewing" version to compete with the luxury suburban truck market.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Here's my guess:

Affordable version:
$60k + FSD
Dual motor
300 mile range
Single screen
Normal tonneau
No ramp
Fixed suspension
FW steering

Mars Rover Version:
$120k + FSD
Quad motor
500+ mile range
Dash, center and rear screen
Solar tonneau
In built ramp
Air suspension
4W steering

Tesla has dropped trims in the past and based on that trend and what we're seeing I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "bare bones work truck" version and a "super king ranch lariat trd 4x4x16 ultra duty vegan meat chewing" version to compete with the luxury suburban truck market.
? Boo hiss… ?

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Here's my guess:

Affordable version:
$60k + FSD
Dual motor
300 mile range
Single screen
Normal tonneau
No ramp
Fixed suspension
FW steering
Just increase the base price by 50% and drop all the tentpole features…

All they needed to do is remove everything that makes the truck unique and interesting and massively increase the price. And Musk makes it sound like it will be a challenge.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The big three will sell EVs as a loss leader. That's why the limited pre-orders. They also can't source more batteries.

But the same reason is why Tesla pulled pricing frim the website - they were still getting orders. And while it'll be hard getting the price they want, they don't want to commit too far out, wither. There's a 4-6 year wait list already built into the reservation queue if everyone sticks through.

Even though Tesla has raised their prices - their margins on cost have gotten bigger. Coat went up a teeny bit, but the price they could get for cars went up by much, much more. This is what is in their earnings reports.

Beyond that, while the Cybertruck is filled with tech - it's also filled with advances to make it cheaper to build. Folded exoskeleton. No paint. Structural battery. Cheaper battery cells.

And I would guess the tech will do things like duplicate out of the Semi and Model Y and Model S when it can be done cheap and at scale. And then things like their front and rear motor/turning design being repeated to reduce total unique parts.

This is what Tesla does.

-Crissa
Sponsored