Elon Musk says Starlink internet service should be ‘fully mobile’ by the end of this year

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Elon Musk says Starlink internet service should be ‘fully mobile’ by the end of this year

Starlink is coming through its beta period
By Nilay Patel@reckless Apr 16, 2021, 5:48pm EDT

Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk says Starlink internet service should be ‘fully mobile’ by the end of this year 1231999016.0
Photo credit should read Costfoto/Barcroft Media via Getty Images

SpaceX’s new Starlink satellite internet service is in a very limited beta testing period right now, but the company is already thinking ahead: as first noted by CNBC, SpaceX has filed an application with the FCC for Starlink components that would allow the service to work on moving vehicles. Big moving vehicles, that is — Elon Musk tweeted that the existing Starlink terminals are too big for Tesla’s vehicles, and the idea is targeted at planes, RVs, trucks, and ships.

This would be a big change for Starlink, which right now does not even allow customers to move the existing hardware from address to address — if you can get in the beta, the signup forms are clear that the service is limited to the location you enter at checkout. That’s because the Starlink satellite constellation isn’t fully built out yet, so it’s not a permanent limitation, but it’s still a limitation today, and one that Elon once again clarified today in a tweet:

I actually have a Starlink system that I’ll be reviewing for The Verge’s upcoming Infrastructure Week — the promise of fast, reliable satellite internet that can compete with America’s various broadband monopolies is very enticing, but early testers have reported mixed results. (Which, again, Elon says will improve.)

SOURCE: THE VERGE
Sponsored

Last edited:

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
What has not been mentioned is the need for a more mobile friendly Starlink antenna for RVs and yachts. In my opinion the current generation of the Starlink dish, while great for fixed locations, is not suitable for applications where the dish would be mounted to a vehicle in motion. For RVs the coefficient of drag would be excessive. For yachts it would need to be smaller and enclosed in a dome like other satellite dishes to fit the yachts visual asthetics.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The dome is for aerodynamics and environmental resistance, not aesthetics. It needs to resist birds and wind.

But yes, their current antenna is not great for mobile use. He did say it was too big.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Recently there was an article I saw where they had a picture of a starlink antenna on starship. It was much more aerodynamic. I’m sure if they can make it work on starship then a terrestrial automobile won’t be a problem. At least not on the aerodynamics front. Size seems to be more the issue. But I could see someone installing it in the frunk area and having a starlink panel on the hood. I bet someone will do that.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
What I got from it is that I will be able to take Starlink from my home, throw it in the CT and deploy it out in the middle of nowhere without Geo restrictions.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Recently there was an article I saw where they had a picture of a starlink antenna on starship. It was much more aerodynamic. I’m sure if they can make it work on starship then a terrestrial automobile won’t be a problem. At least not on the aerodynamics front. Size seems to be more the issue. But I could see someone installing it in the frunk area and having a starlink panel on the hood. I bet someone will do that.
Found the reference
https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-starship-sn15-starlink-dish-installed/

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
They used Starlink on the most recent Falcon 9 and showed the camera on the booster landing the entire way down.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Isn't the sn15 rocket getting a starlink? Presumably for testing! The Mars shuttle thing is actually happening

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'll wait until I can use it at home and in my car, motorcycle or CT
Sponsored