Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I can't see Tesla lagging behind other EV manufacturers on charging(they've been a leader in EV's and continue to be), so I'm confident that the CT will have 350kW charging.
teslas Achilles heel in this is the already existing supercharger network. It is costly to keep upgrading these units. Sure other manufacturers will offer their vehicles with 350w charging, but where will you actually charge them? Unless they are also going to invest millions in a charging network like Tesla has, it will be moot. Your home charger wont be that fast, nor will it need to be.
Sponsored

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
If your thinking about adding the FSD option do it now. The option will increase by $2k on Monday. Tesla will charge a healthy $10k for the pleasure of stress free driving.

Last edited:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I can't see Tesla lagging behind other EV manufacturers on charging(they've been a leader in EV's and continue to be), so I'm confident that the CT will have 350kW charging.
I absolutely agree. The interesting question is "How?".

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
teslas Achilles heel in this is the already existing supercharger network. It is costly to keep upgrading these units.
Yes it is but it is a lot less expensive than starting from scratch. Just having the real estate and a utility drop is a big part of the picture. Those old stations are getting along in years and will need to be replaced eventually anyway. A lot will depend on how forward looking Tesla had been. I'm sure Elon Musk did not wake up this morning, slap himself on the forehead and yell "Hey, we should have been thinking about 920V!". If they have designed the SC network in such a way that it does not preclude upgrade to 920 V then the task may not be as Herculean as you think.

Sure other manufacturers will offer their vehicles with 350w charging, but where will you actually charge them?
At EA 350 kW stations.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
teslas Achilles heel in this is the already existing supercharger network. It is costly to keep upgrading these units. Sure other manufacturers will offer their vehicles with 350w charging, but where will you actually charge them? Unless they are also going to invest millions in a charging network like Tesla has, it will be moot. Your home charger wont be that fast, nor will it need to be.
Electrify America, PlugShare and EVgo and others are building out their networks. You would be surprised how many DC fast chargers are available now. Given the surge of interest in EV's lately and the news there is of charging stations being built/planned by 2022 there will be even more.

Electrify America network
Tesla Cybertruck Elon Musk teases ‘lots of improvements’ for the production Cybertruck Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 3.12.10 PM

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
considering the truck at the unveil was 84inch wide and way past 231 inches long....I'd say they'd had to trim some fat........whatever comes out of Texas, I'm buying. I like the Hummer Ev, just not the price and considering Teslas are actually driving themselves....I'd love for my truck to drive me places.

mprimo

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, BMW X6
Occupation
US Government
Country flag
I will not be buying blindly. If I do not like the final version, then I wont be buying one. :unsure:
LOL, the Cybertruck is a triangle on wheels. I doubt if they can do any worse. You have to have some room for adjustment since the NHTSA will certainly not grant them to the leisure of not adding mirrors for cameras and windshield wipers. Annnnndddd, it's price extremely well compared to ICE trucks and way under for other EV options.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Musk reiterated Tesla’s strategy to always improve on concept vehicles with the production version unlike other automakers who often significantly tone down vehicle from concept to production.

Tesla has apparently been making a lot of changes to the Cybertruck design over the last year since unveiling it in November 2019.
Musk previously talked about Tesla updating the Cybertruck’s adaptive air suspension. They also talked about making the truck smaller, but Musk scrapped that plan after another design review back in May.

However, several design refinements are expected to be implemented.

SOURCE: ELECTREK
The notion that there are going to be a number of refinements/improvements/changes is really exciting to me.
  • I hope that EM and the rest of the crew are taking in some or a ton of the feedback we’ve been discussing on this site.
    • Cybertruck truck guy’s collected top features
  • I hope they are doing competitive reviews of the other BEV trucks that are coming and are determined to kick their collective asses.
    • Hummer, Rivian, Ford, Bollinger et al.
  • I hope that they are thinking through the various use cases more thoroughly and enabling the best possible use cases.
    • Ladder on racks, sheets of plywood
  • I hope that the variety of play scenarios are being thought through so that as many possible play scenarios can be enabled as best in class functionality.
    • Baja 1000, rock crawling, overlanding
But even if the CT comes out as originally announced I will still want one. The possible enhancements though have me a little giddy with glee.

Jensengary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Wind tech
Country flag
Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1-2-e1574880871925.jpg

Elon Musk made some rare new comments on Tesla Cybertruck and gave a better idea of the production ramp for the electric pickup truck.

During the conference call following Tesla’s release of its Q3 2020 financial results, Musk was asked to give more color on the production ramp of the Cybertruck and when we can expect deliveries.

The CEO started by mentioning that he recently did a design review of the Cybertruck with Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s Design Chief:

Musk reiterated Tesla’s strategy to always improve on concept vehicles with the production version unlike other automakers who often significantly tone down vehicle from concept to production.

The CEO added:

Tesla has apparently been making a lot of changes to the Cybertruck design over the last year since unveiling it in November 2019.

Tesla-Cybertruck-main-hero.jpg

Musk previously talked about Tesla updating the Cybertruck’s adaptive air suspension. They also talked about making the truck smaller, but Musk scrapped that plan after another design review back in May.

However, several design refinements are expected to be implemented.

As for the timeline to production, Musk did remind everyone that the Cybertruck is tied to Tesla completing Gigafactory Austin in time:

Musk said that if all goes well, Tesla should deliver some Cybertrucks in late 2021 as previously announced, but people should not expect volume production until 2022.

Electrek’s Take

To be honest, I have some doubts about Tesla bringing the Cybertruck to production by the end of next year.

Elon did say that deliveries in late 2021 and volume in 2022 is dependent on everything going well.

I put the probabilities of everything going well on both building a brand new factory and deploying brand new manufacturing techniques for an armoured exoskeleton to nearly zero.

Things are bound to not go perfectly.

On top of it, Elon is talking about the Cybertruck design still not being final as of last week?

Sounds like they would need a miracle to bring the electric truck to production next year.

But anyway, Tesla needs to ramp up battery cell production to deliver any significant volume of the Cybertruck and that’s not expected until 2022 so a delay probably wouldn’t have a massive impact on delivery volume as long as the battery cell supply is not secured

SOURCE: ELECTREK

Jensengary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber truck
Occupation
Wind tech
Country flag
With everyone concentrating on the batteries I'm wondering how off-road capable of cyber truck is I'm hoping that it's similar to a Jeep Rubicon or Jeep gladiator that's what I have experience with I hope that did their homework I plan on taking mine to Moab to play in the sand in the rocks

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma TRD Pro
Country flag
What I find odd is that Tesla does not have any test mules running around, as far as I know, for validation testing purposes. GM has recently produced a few GMC Hummer pickups for real world cold and hot weather durability testing and they start production around the same time as the Cybertruck.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What I find odd is that Tesla does not have any test mules running around, as far as I know, for validation testing purposes. GM has recently produced a few GMC Hummer pickups for real world cold and hot weather durability testing and they start production around the same time as the Cybertruck.
Wrong. GM has zero Hummer EVs.
https://insideevs.com/news/450345/g...C2qUvG4p-gAFHDbUnLR5RMW6GzhfQE4xNeSDk0ZXXrJDM

GM has a Nikola-like shell game. That commercial was all CGI.
Sponsored