firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles.

-------------------------------

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 2022Oct07
Replying to @RGVaerialphotos

You’d need an electric propeller mounted on the tow hitch to go faster than a few knots. There might a creative wheel hub design that can generate meaningful thrust.

Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles.

-------------------------------

Elon Musk @elonmusk · 2022Oct07
Replying to @RGVaerialphotos

You’d need an electric propeller mounted on the tow hitch to go faster than a few knots. There might a creative wheel hub design that can generate meaningful thrust.

Lol I thought so... paddle hubcaps as per a few days ago.

I'm pretty sure they will want them to change between road and water use so as to not add air resistance whilst driving.

With quad motors and 4ws steering directional control should be easy in the water.

I'm really hoping they add enough positive bouyancy through foam inserts so that it becomes unsinkable even with the gate and doors open. It will likely have two distinct floating states, one with everything closed and sealed using internal air volume for boat mode and a low waterline, and a "survival mode" with high waterline when someone lets to much water in.

Good thing with the battery and motors down low is that the low center of gravity will make it self righting.

But what I like about the comment is that EM is thinking of a hitch motor, for me this means there will be some form of battery power take off provided to drive it, meaning all the PTO farm implements (mowers, snowblower etc) will have a connection point as well.

Time to get on with designing implements then! :cool:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Ladies and gentlemen

I may use a boat ramp, or maybe we can just drive into the surf.

I will see you out there, beach umbrella and deckchair, and fishing rod hanging off the side.

Music or the game in the background.

Yatzee on my phone, and cool drink at hand.

With crowds gawking from the beach, and farken drones overhead. :ROFLMAO:

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
This news affects my order approximately 0.0% If I was forced to ford a flooded road or creek to save the life of someone in my family I would go for it. Otherwise I'm not interested in testing this out. Call me boring I guess. (Edited typo)

Last edited:

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
No he did not say that.
He said what you would need to make it work. He said nothing about it being a CT option.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
No he did not say that.
He said what you would need to make it work. He said nothing about it being a CT option.
But he is thinking about it, and knows it needs a propulsion solution to make the most of the amphibious feature.

So...I think he's working on something, but it might only come out later. Engineers don't like leaving problems laying around.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ tesla-model-y-wheel-and-tire-package-19-tsv-uberturbine-style-flow-forged-wheels-satin-matte-

If they use similar wheels and because CT has 4 wheel steering the wheels could be angled such that they effectivly become props. Please excuse horrydrawing skills. The drawing is supposed to be underside of CT.
Tesla Cybertruck Elon says Cybertruck might have options for hitch mounted motor propeller or special wheel hub with paddles 🚣‍♂️ Cybertruck boat_221009_161530_1

OP
OP

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
tesla-model-y-wheel-and-tire-package-19-tsv-uberturbine-style-flow-forged-wheels-satin-matte-g...jpg

If they use similar wheels and because CT has 4 wheel steering the wheels could be angled such that they effectivly become props. Please excuse horrydrawing skills. The drawing is supposed to be underside of CT.
Cybertruck boat_221009_161530_1.jpg

Vincent van Gogh is that you ?

Macgyverfever

First Name
Regular Don-Won
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP BLUE/WHITE, M3RWD GRAY/BLACK
Occupation
Multifaceted IT Professional
Country flag
S-H-I-T an electric-powered propellar powered by a theoretical 200 kw !!??? Looks like I'm having a James Bond Sunday marathon folks...

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
tesla-model-y-wheel-and-tire-package-19-tsv-uberturbine-style-flow-forged-wheels-satin-matte-g...jpg

Lol I thought we were talking about this on the CT is amphibious thread.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...es-calm-seas-confirms-musk-🚤.5597/post-116139

As I pointed out there the problems with this setup is getting enough steering angle out of the wheels to make it work. The first problem is your diamond shape requires twice as many power steering units, and I'm 99% sure we will only get physically linked steering to ensure proper tracking and Ackerman angles like any other car. The next problem is the rear wheels don't have enough clearance inside the well to rotate that much, and the driveshaft axles get in the way etc. It's easier just to use wheel ducts, and you only need to use the rear motors at all.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag

IF (big if) the wheels can be used for propulsion in water, would they need to turn (steer) for directional control? Couldn't it just vary the speed of left tires vs. right tires? For a hard turn have one side spin forward the other side spin reverse? Similar to tank turn, or rowing a canoe.

Deleted member 12457

I don't want a transformer, I want a simple truck. If I want to go through some standing water, fine, but I'm not going to drive a CT across a lake, that's what boats are for. We need to stop adding crazy things to the CT so it can actually be finished for a reasonable amount of money.