Emergencies and home charging levels. A personal testimonial.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
In Tesla Time News today there was a story that included a letter from someone who is changing their stance on using level 1 charging at home. He is upgrading to level 2 charging for better handling of emergency situations.

The story is cued up and runs from 43:11 to 47:48

Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
L1 charging is not for those in the woods anyhow.

You only need enough power to get away. Know how much power you need to evacuate with. If prime-time, charge it to that level first, even if you want to push back charging to a more optimal time. It's also better for the battery not to sit at a few percent of power.

Teslas, though, have 15-30 miles of range at 0%. My bike has zero miles at 0%.

-Crissa

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
I saw that myself. Compelling reasoning for investing in home charging.

The guy from Tesla Plaid Channel also gave me compelling reasons for investing in the Tesla solar package on my future domicile. Really helped align my understanding of how valuable it is to invest in a solar setup.

(BTW, Tesla Plaid Channel drag race videos are hilarious in how much he has to sandbag against track rules, yet still beat the big ICE monsters. He makes good race content.)

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
For the moment we are on 110v/ 12 amps. If I get home for a long trip and the range is below 20%, I usually hit a supercharger to add a few miles before parking for the night. Our house is fireproof (plus we keep vegetation back from it as well) so I'm not worried about fires, but you never know when you are going to need or want to go somewhere.

Being able to have 60-70% of your range ready at all times is one of the huge advantages of EVs. If you are on a trickle charge, you lose that benefit.

On a related note. My brother's house is roughly 200 yards from the west edge of Caldor fire. Fortunately for him, the fire blew mostly west, if it had been only slightly less westward bound, his place would be toast.

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
(BTW, Tesla Plaid Channel drag race videos are hilarious in how much he has to sandbag against track rules, yet still beat the big ICE monsters. He makes good race content.)
I follow that guy and it is funny to watch as he routinely smokes supercars, factory built muscle cars and the home built fire breathers like a cheap cigar.
The episode where the track official told him if he ran that fast again without a cage and chute he would be booted out of the track was epic.
I can't wait to get the tri-motor CT to the local 1/8th mile track.
Sponsored