Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance)

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
I have considered getting the EXP 4 however I cannot find any information regarding them in the USA even though I know that they will ship here. Where would you get it serviced at or warranty work? In the southeast I would also be interested in it having AC. I am not on Facebook so I can’t check there.
I am interested to buy the EXP 6 after I get my CT, though the EXP 4 is a better option for outdoor enthusiasts. It is a lot lighter and can go anywhere. Unfortunately they do not have service locations in the US.. They ship the caravan directly to you. I will reach out to the company as soon as the health issue (COVID 19) is resolved.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CarsBarsMars

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus, Infiniti, BMW
Country flag
I think the air resistance of the trailer is going to be higher than that. They are typically not very aerodynamic. Just slightly better than a brick, so call it 0.9 (the cyber truck is approaching 0.3, so almost 3x the drag coefficient). If its a 5th wheel, it sits up high, and probably max width, so the combined frontal area will be like 60-80 square feet (2x the CT's 30-ish). Drag is a combination of the coefficient of drag x the area, so that puts the aerodynamic drag of the combo around 5x the CT. Air drag is the bulk of the resistance at highway speeds, so the range will be proportionately lower. I would not be surprised to see it down around 100 miles.

Air drag is proportional to speed squared, so the air drag at 75mph is going to be almost double what it is at 55mph. Keep the speed low to get better range.
I don’t see how a large travel trailer and a CT are practical at all. Imho we would spend as much screwing around with expensive solutions in trailers to simply buy a used tow vehicle like a 2000’s full size. I’ve been thru trying to engineer a “perfect” solution so many times I shudder at the thought of how many tens of thousands I’ll have in my “perfect” trailer setup for a CT.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
If you are talking about a 10k to 14k lbs travel trailer, I feel it would be out of my comfort zone to use the CT often for something like that for concerns about range. I don't tow that heavy ever with my current 3/4 ton so it's not an issue for me. For my purposes, I'm looking to pull a 16' low boy utility trailer with a side by side UTV and / or hunting gear, deer feed, etc on it. Most of the time that would be 6k lbs or less. Other times I would want to pull my duck boat, which is even less weight. With my current 3/4 ton truck I get about 70% of the mpg when pulling the trailer in the pic vs. not towing. If that translates to about 50 to 60% range for the CT, then I'll be golden...250 miles to 300 miles for the trimotor gets me anywhere I'd want to drive in a day without stopping to charge. On the one off occasion where I want to tow long distance in a single day, I would plan the trip to have a supercharger in the route and make lunch of the stop. If the self driving features for highway use are allowed while towing, that would be such a nice trip. I'd be way less road weary after the drive.
Tesla Cybertruck Engineering Explained: F-150 better than Cybertruck for towing duty (over distance) 01ac3e93bc14ea55de25115c95906cca9ed83c74e9

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Even if not FSD, I am hoping the cruise control that keeps its distance from the cars in front will be a huge relief.

cyberhunter

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ram 2500, Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
Even if not FSD, I am hoping the cruise control that keeps its distance from the cars in front will be a huge relief.
That's what I was referring to. The highway autopilot I'm hoping will do at the very least single lane tracking and adaptive cruise control. I don't expect when trailering that the CT will be able to handle lane changes, merges, etc. I just want to get in the center lane and set the speed and it will go. What would be even better would be if on curvy two lane highways it could do all that and adjust speed to compensate for curves that need the truck to slow down. If the CT could do that, talk about worth every penny for any trip more than 50 miles.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If Tesla ever runs out of EVs to make, I am sure that if they get the Tesla Semi pulling different sized trailers and such, then having software able to handle FSD and towing for the CyberTruck should be possible.

Cougs

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
collector chevy K20, cybertruck asap
Occupation
Coach
Country flag
If Tesla ever runs out of EVs to make, I am sure that if they get the Tesla Semi pulling different sized trailers and such, then having software able to handle FSD and towing for the CyberTruck should be possible.
Agree, FSD and towing will be possible. I will take one step at a time knowing that battery capacity and range will also improve with time as long as there is demand innovation will continue to be a priority.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
That's what I was referring to. The highway autopilot I'm hoping will do at the very least single lane tracking and adaptive cruise control. I don't expect when trailering that the CT will be able to handle lane changes, merges, etc. I just want to get in the center lane and set the speed and it will go. What would be even better would be if on curvy two lane highways it could do all that and adjust speed to compensate for curves that need the truck to slow down. If the CT could do that, talk about worth every penny for any trip more than 50 miles.
It will be worth every penny. And..... I also believe will slow on approach to curves and accelerate out back to set speed.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Since you got me started on this there are more modest "green" trailers that use lightweight materials throughout and are aerodynamically shaped such as the f2114 (https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/) which weighs 2356 lbs. Using the same formulas as I did for the huge trailer I estimate level towing range of 344 miles and 1% grade range of 272 mi. These are certainly more appealing numbers even when reduced by 20% (275 and 218 miles).
The safari condo a2124 was designed with electric vehicles in mind. (They claim 47% less drag) I would expect slightly higher numbers from that one. That being said, thanks for your take on the numbers for this. https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
RAM will be in contact with you shortly. You’re about to be featured on its truck TV series of advertisements. LOL RAM diesel, no downtime, no labor sunk charging cost leaves a high bar.

CT used as a shag truck grabbing trailers around jobsite to jobsite SC becomes easier in DEN vicinity except downtime sunk cost and labor ain’t free.

DEN hills 14000# no problem. A genset on a custom trailer could charge enroute if Tesla supports active V2V charging, but adds $35k. Use case $30k amortised could pencil away sunk labor costs if only the one trailer.

14000# is 1 ton+ truck territory in commercial use. CT would pull 14000#. I have serious reservations its consumables brake, tires and bearings are commercial service rated.

Wpsinc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S, 3
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This is beyond my elementary physics understanding, but here's an engineer's perspective of towing with an EV pickup versus an ICE pickup. Seems like the conclusion is that an ICE pickup has a range advantage even though it's less efficient at towing compared to an EV. But the gap will get closer as battery capacity in EVs go up.

You should account for the fact that fewer manufacturers will even produce ICE vehicles after 2035 and that environmental regulation will soon phase gas out of existence.
Sponsored