EV credit for Motorcycles Incentive Bill Text interpretations/opinions?

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I assume its been mentioned in other threads, but I don't see any thread devoted to it.

I see many articles mentioning the EV credit for motorcycles is no longer included in the final bill, but I also see that the way the bill is written does not specifically preclude 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles from qualifying. The section in the old bill that mentioned 2 and 3 wheeled ev vehicles was removed, but the new bill could be interpreted as 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles being included in the "Other" vehicle classification which defines the Purchase price limit of $55,000. The text also very vaguely defines the qualifying vehicles simply as "Clean Vehicle" of which the requirements are a vehicle weighing no more than 14,000 lbs, "which is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor which draws electric from a battery which.." having no less than 7kWh battery, and is capable of being charged from an external source of electricity.

So it is really unclear based on that text. A motor vehicle in the "Other" category. Question is whether title II of the Clean Air Act defines a motorcycle as a "motor vehicle" or whether it defines "Other" classification as not including motorcycles?

I see two possible sticking points to whether ev motorcycles will actually be eligible..

1.) whether the powers that be define "qualified manufacturer" to only include manufacturers that do not make motorcycles?? This is fraught with issues as BMW makes ev cars and currently an EV scooter, the CE 04 which uses 1 row of the same batteries used in their car battery packs and a top speed of 75mph (clearly not a bicycle or motorized razor scooter). So you can't preclude BMW from qualifying for the car incentives because they make ev motorcycles as well.

2.) more likely, whether the "Secretary" defines "Other" classification as specifically not including 2 or 3 wheeled vehicles.

simpler condensed/organized text of bill taken from Rob Mauer video on the topic:

ev-credit-requirements_01.jpg

ev-credit-requirements_02.jpg

I mean that would be crazy if they were.. cause they would potentially qualify for up to $7,500 per motorcycle.. of which is at least half the purchase price of many of the current ev motorcycles for sale.

Many ev motorcycles do have greater than 7kWh batteries:

Livewire - 15.5 kWh
Livewire Del Mar - if interpreting 20% less power as meaning a 20% smaller battery, then potentially also qualifies with approx 12.4kWh battery

Zero - 14.4-15.6kWh

Triumph TE-1 - suggested 15kWh

BMW CE 04 - 8.9kWh

Vespa Elettrica - 4.2kWh (does not qualify)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The bill merely edited the prior tax rebate. And the last version forgot to remove the already passed language that required four wheels.

So that language requiring four wheels is still in the statute. Which is stupid that it is fine with PHEVs but not EV motorcycles, which have just as much mileage carbon impact but much less impact on the wear and tear on the roads.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
and I suppose health care costs are lower when people are merely dead

The vast majority of these fatalities involve: No safety gear, riding drunk, riding beyond the speed limit, or just riding out of the lane into oncoming traffic/static object.

Dress for the slide, not the ride; ride so you can always stop within your sight distance; and never, ever ride even when slightly impaired. Do that, and your death rate is like any other compact vehicle.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag

The vast majority of these fatalities involve: No safety gear, riding drunk, riding beyond the speed limit, or just riding out of the lane into oncoming traffic/static object.

Dress for the slide, not the ride; ride so you can always stop within your sight distance; and never, ever ride even when slightly impaired. Do that, and your death rate is like any other compact vehicle.

-Crissa
No doubt the intelligent and safe tend to risk-adjust wisely.

But I’d love to see that data you suggest exists (who collects data on deaths that don’t happen)?

But when we do, I’d also need data that compares apples-to-apples: only vehicular accidents that similarly don’t involve any additional risk metrics, like speeding, safe follow-distances, etc.

Absent those laboratory conditions on both ends, though, it still speaks to the types of drivers and risks implied by random (and so average) driver types.

We’ve thread-drifted plenty.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
The topic was deaths on motorcycles.

That's simple to adjudicate. They aren't easy to cover up.

-Crissa
I used to be a motorcycle mechanic, and worked with a Hells Angel who in one breast pocket kept pennies, and in the other breast pocket kept marbles. “The pennies,” he’d say, “are for people who follow too close but don’t know any better - the marbles are for the ones who should know better.”

But bad as auto drivers are, just as you point out few are as dumb (on a risk-adjusted basis) as the average motorcyclist.

No tax credits for that lot

cheers

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
AT-GATT. All The Gear, All The Time.

And I passed an intermediate course this summer.

I am definitely not that guy willing to lose his marbles ^-^

Unlike cars, you have to work to mitigate your risk of death. Which means those who don't, well, don't.

-Crissa
Sponsored