Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Alas, Tulsi apparently went a bit rabid.

The problem with representative Democracy is how you choose the representative. You can't have half a person in a job; it's always a whole. Which is why you end up with two parties: To choose policy goals, you always have to choose the one closest, most likely to get into office. And it also means caucusing against those who would reverse the policies you want.

So it's a natural rule of maths because of that binary. Which means we're forced to vote for the top-two lest we automatically lose out. (Which is why California has top-two General elections, so that we are making that decision point.) There are other things we can do to help this, too, like ranked choice voting.

-Crissa
She grew up in a cult, seemed to think tyrant s were cool, and seemed to love Putin. She was a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
Sponsored

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Quite lousy, to be honest. My Facebook feed has become quite bland. I used to get a variety, now it seems the same posters pop up all the time and not even the ones I enjoy the most. These algorithms are also questionable in their ethics. They are screening users viewpoints.

If an insurrection was actually planned on FB, why wasn't it reported to authorities to prepare or take action? As I said, a communications medium should report illegal activity to proper authorities. It's not that your words shouldn't have consequence, it's that you should still be able to speak your words. And people will always be able to speak. If FB and other outlets ban the discussion, people will go underground and find other ways. I prefer these things to be in the open where we can be aware and possibly intervein.
You are free to express words. But platforms are capitalism in action, and you get booted if you break their rules, which is bad for business. Grab a soap box and rant on the corner. Free speech. If you Call for rebellion and violence, you may pay consequences.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
And they tell them to put it in a place where the employees will want to live and can find a nice place based on salaries that allow the endeavor to make the product at a price the market can support.
Explain Giga Nevada.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Explain Giga Nevada.
That's on an energy and transportation corridor.

Something not mentioned by ajdelange is the corollary: The highly desirable housing and recreation and laws make it difficult to convince high-demand, high-educated workers to leave the state or coastal cities of California. No company has successfully left the state, either, despite many trying.

So that's why many companies have tried the Reno area: Close enough that people can visit occasionally, cheap enough to convince lesser attached workers to move, and cheap energy and transportation for industry.

Also, they're planning to extract lithium in Nevada, and that would reduce the transportation of the bulky, raw material.

-Crissa

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
That's not how the Senate works. The Majority party decides what gets debate, but it also takes 60 Senators to choose what to vote on.

If we can get 50 Senators to decide to break the second rule, it would be helpful.

-Crissa
if Congress passes a bill to the Senate, it's more likely to pass now that the GOP can't block arbitrarily..... like a 3 year old having a tantrum.... like The Donald.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
You have to remember that most democratic leaders are a millionaires and they support the billionaires because they want their money honestly Democratic leaders never care about the little guys they just give them the service and then screw them over in the end
I hope you're including the GOP in that generality.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Everyone knows that, that's basic. What is concerning to many, is the removal of the ability to speak. It is one thing to say using freedom of speech to commit crimes should be punished. It's also one thing to say using freedom of speech to say mean or awful things makes me dislike you, or not want to do business with you. It's another to say I don't like what you say, so you will no longer be able to say it. This is new territory, and it's exceedingly dangerous.

Mark Zuckerberg is on record of saying that he envisioned FB as evolving into more of a utility, like the phone company. Increasingly, we use it as a communications platform, perhaps even our primary communications platform. If it is to be such a platform, like our phone line or our mail service or our internet access, it needs to be unbiased. If I use my phone to hire a hitman to kill someone, I should be charged. If I use it to discuss things that are not illegal - no matter how unpleasant - I'm still allowed to use my phone. My speech is not regulated.

The big example of this topic is, of course, the recent banning of Trump from Twitter, FB, Insta, Youtube, App and Google stores, etc. By all accounts he hasn't done anything illegal - though that's up for debate - but he's been silenced. These are private companies, they're allowed to do that. But should they be able to? Perhaps it's time for communications laws to be updated with the time, and FB, etc, should not be allowed to regulate such content much like ATT can't listen in on your calls and turn off your phone if it doesn't like what you say. As Elon recently tweeted, "A lot of people are going to be super unhappy with West Coast high tech being the de facto arbiter of free speech."

What's weird to me is that the idea of free speech has become a "right" value in recent years. I've always thought of freedom from the norm as being a "left" trait, whether it was freedom to be gay, freedom to use profane language, freedom to dance... whatever it may be, it was traditionally "right" people that wanted conformity. Now, in the last 10 years I've observed a startling shift where "left" people are increasingly looking to shut up dissenting opinions, "cancel" them, etc. As a moderate, it increasingly weighs in my opinions. I think you're seeing it in a lot of similar thinkers, Elon being one of them. They may not agree with "right" ideals, but agree with the right to have them.
Trump was banned due to his endorsement of violence..... if that isn't a good reason to shut anyone up I don't know what is. Social media companies can be sued for not taking action...like online bullying.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.