• Total voters

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
which EV trucks do you have reserved? If they were all available at the same time, which one would you choose and why? leaving hummer and the other oddballs out of it.
Advertisement

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Cybertruck kind of has me.

I almost feel silly for wanting it because a giant truck is just a bit much. I'd have never bought a F150, Chevy 1500, or Ram Macho 1500 and have long felt "Full Sized" pickups were over-sized.

The crazy combo of the sliding air suspension, Tesla car-computer, vault cover, really good mobile support, Autopilot, and simplicity* of Tesla's offerings is just irresistible to me.

* Just a little flavor to that last bit. Buying and owning a Tesla has been one of the most straight forward auto purchases ever. Everything from eliminating the decision paralysis, gimmicky bundling, and backroom bullshit at the dealer; to the keyless entry which works with the phone; to the phone app; to the supercharger**; the user focused console design... It's not the perfect car, but I never feel like I paid for something I don't use.

** The plug and play Supercharger experience and excellent mapping integration... so typical of dealing with Tesla.

OP
OP
kev12345

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
i'll admit I recently reso'd a lightning 😬. as much as I love the cybertruck, I just don't see my reservation coming up anytime in the next two years. the lightning may be the same wait but ford has a bunch of them out there in real life and I can see their production ramp up being much quicker. really hoping the ct comes up first!

bebolton

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 Double Cab
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
If you are still ok with the same look and feel with ridiculous pricing, Ford and Rivian should be your choice. I personally want a built from the ground up, proven technology of Tesla. I am struggling with the wait but I am determined to stick it out. As long as Lebron James is tied to GMC Hummer, I am out!

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
I have a reservation for all three (R1S not R1T). I feel like Lightning Pro is the lowest priced BEV truck I can realistically get in a reasonable time. It is bare bone (not a feel good truck). I expect to be satisfied with both Rivian and CT for different reasons. I like the enclosed space of an SUV and more manageable size of R1S but it is a new company and riskier. I don’t like it’s price tag. The cricket communication mode of Tesla and the LONG wait requires more commitment (if I had a reliable date for CT2, I could possibly stick it out and cancel the other two. As of now my preference is CT2, Pro, R1S in that order but timing is putting R1S and Pro ahead of CT2. If Tesla comes out with news, things may change as of now I am thinking Pro then reevaluate when my number comes up with CT. R1S will be an impulse buy I am trying to avoid.

The PROs of the base PRO over CT1 for me:
  • It will be in my driveway earlier
  • More usable bed design and flat roof.
  • full size spare tire
  • Dual motor / 4WD
  • a body and design that has been around (existing after market mods and easy to work on)
  • Don’t have to worry about TESLA haters shooting at my door or throwing rocks at my windows.
  • CT1 is a low priority truck for Tesla that will come online late or may never be built. PRO is more likely.
  • $7,500 rebate as of now.
  • Battery may be more reparable than CT once out of warranty (to be seen)

The PROs of CT2 over XLT at $50K:
  • 6.5 foot bed
  • 300+ mile range
  • Adjustable suspension with great ground clearance
  • 3000 Ib payload
  • holds 6 people
  • Tesla charging network
  • I expect it to be more efficient at high speed with aerodynamic top and bottom.
  • Glass roof
  • standard auto bed cover and tailgate ramp
  • No paint scratches and polishing to worry about
  • heat pump (vs resistive element)
  • If 4680 battery pans out, it may have a million mile battery.
  • A lot of goodies like great sound system, 4 wheel steering that does not exist or come only as option in lightening.
  • I am not sure if the though body and glass is a Pro or Con yet.
As is, I probably end up with a base Pro simply because it will most likely be available to me earlier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kev12345

kev12345

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Country flag
The only lightning I'm interested in is the lightning pro extended range but it looks like it's only available to fleets for now.

jfornelli

First Name
Jason
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I have the CT3 reserved with $7k FSD. I would much rather have a smaller (mid-size) pickup but currently drive a 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie simply because I couldn’t find a mid-size pickup with the “luxury” features. I am a big fan of the large screen and the 4 wheel air suspension that allows me to raise or lower from within the cab.
If I could have the CT3 in a mid-size version (a la Wolverine?) I would jump on that in a heartbeat. So, I am considering a Rivian R1T but the main drawback of that one is the tiny bed.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The PROs of the base PRO over CT1 for me:
You forgot the pros of the CT1 over the PRO.

* That sexy air suspension
* 4 Wheel steering
* Better charging network
* Likely faster charging due to smaller battery pack.
* ~8% better range (not a ton, but they are already on the low end of the range curve)
* Lighter weight
* Onboard air compressor

All of this is conjecture so YMMV. Honestly... if either the air suspension or 4 wheel steering ships on the CT1, that is just a stunning value for a $40k truck. Getting both would be off the hook.

(Though the first CT1s are likely to ship 2-3 years behind your F150 and driving a car for 3 years is a pretty big advantage itself)

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Diehard The fact that the Lightning probably will cost as much as a Dual-Motor Cybertruck with Full Self Drive readiness doesn't worry you?

-Crissa
Nothing worries me. I know I won’t pay more than $42K for F150. If it costs more, then it will be CT or Rivian for me (Or even a non-truck more efficient EV) Tell me about your math. As of now it should cost $32.5 K with rebate. How does a Lightening Pro costs $50K?

p.s. I have no interest in full self driving.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Nothing worries me. I know I won’t pay more than $42K for F150. If it costs more, then it will be CT or Rivian for me (Or even a non-truck more efficient EV) Tell me about your math. As of now it should cost $32.5 K with rebate. How does a Lightening Pro costs $50K?

p.s. I have no interest in full self driving.
Assuming Ford doesn't burn through their rebate selling 100s of thousands of PHEVs.

I think you have the right attitude.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You forgot the pros of the CT1 over the PRO……..
All true but even if CT1 does see the light of the day at advertised price, as you mentioned for me the difference is at least three years. I am way down the line with CT (today is the anniversary of my registration) but will most likely get the Ford in the first year. I fully expect some regrets with Ford. Even their own product in a few years is going to be much better but it is an F150, I am hoping it will keep some of it’s value especially if I can get the rebate. Then replacing it with a CT should not be that painful. Unless like most battery operated toys, it becomes worthless fast with change in tech and battery degradation. I just feel like I should start driving an EV sooner rather than later.

Assuming Ford doesn't burn through their rebate selling 100s of thousands of PHEVs..
I will probably either just miss it or will be a borderliner. Do you know how to be certain at the time of the purchase if they already used it up or I am definitely included?

Advertisement

Advertisement