• Total voters

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I will probably either just miss it or will be a borderliner. Do you know how to be certain at the time of the purchase if they already used it up or I am definitely included?
I'm just being cynical. There is a strong chance that well before they run out of their credits congress will have something in line to replace it.

The rebate/ credit I think is at time of purchase and you should know or it will be easy enough to find out.

I've heard dealers are marking up the Mach-E. If they do that with the F150 Lightning I'm pretty sure you are required to hit them upside the head with a 2x4.
Advertisement

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
I'm just being cynical. There is a strong chance that well before they run out of their credits congress will have something in line to replace it.

The rebate/ credit I think is at time of purchase and you should know or it will be easy enough to find out.

I've heard dealers are marking up the Mach-E. If they do that with the F150 Lightning I'm pretty sure you are required to hit them upside the head with a 2x4.
I switched from a dealer that was planing $8K mark up to one that in writing assured me they won’t go over MSRP. Of course knowing they can sell my Lightening to someone else for a lot more if I drop out will give them all kinds of incentives to piss me off. For Mach-E Ford did a good job keeping most dealers in line (not all) for reservation holders. But any car that was left for dealers to sell with no names on it was sold with ridiculous up charge. Frankly if CT was ready at the same time with same exact specs, I would pay more for it just so I don’t have to deal with dealers.

on rebates I was just asking about the existing rebate. Point of sale definitely makes much more sense if it comes to life.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I switched from a dealer that was planing $8K mark up to one that in writing assured me they won’t go over MSRP. Of course knowing they can sell my Lightening to someone else for a lot more if I drop out will give them all kinds of incentives to piss me off. For Mach-E Ford did a good job keeping most dealers in line (not all) for reservation holders. But any car that was left for dealers to sell with no names on it was sold with ridiculous up charge. Frankly if CT was ready at the same time with same exact specs, I would pay more for it just so I don’t have to deal with dealers.

on rebates I was just asking about the existing rebate. Point of sale definitely makes much more sense if it comes to life.
I didn't think Ford had worked through their Mustang Mach E pre-orders yet. How can they have cars sitting on the lot? Didn't thy have something like 50k pre-orders? So far less than 20k have been produced.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I didn't think Ford had worked through their Mustang Mach E pre-orders yet. How can they have cars sitting on the lot? Didn't thy have something like 50k pre-orders? So far less than 20k have been produced.
My dealer told me there will be either no deposit or 500 refundable so if I decide to go with CT or Rivian after ordering Lightening and cancel, I think the truck still will go to the dealer and they can put it on their lot and price it as high as it will sell. I assume that happens to some of the mustangs. I think dealers can order their own and they can price those as they please as well. These two conditions may be the cause of some of the sales prices for mustang

p.s. rumors say orders for lightening will open up in 26th probably not for everyone

Jstoltz54

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450h, Mazda CX-5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I’m pretty sure I could be OK with any of the three, although recent events with Tesla employees attempting to leave with Tesla IP when starting a new position with Rivian and this while there is already a suit filed months and months ago for the same issue disturbs me greatly. A CEO that not only condones buts supports this sort of behavior is not a person I will buy from. So currently CT or Lightning. I’m here for the science and that means I’m all in for Tri motor, FSD, CT.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Get an F150 you'll love it, what could go wrong?

charging network was one of my bullets for Tesla. Pro range is only 230 miles. Home charging only for me. I am on a Maine trip right now. We have driven 1500 miles so far and total charge time for our outback was probably around 10 minutes. I expect to take the Subaru on all similar trips for the next 10 years. Anything that will have charging at destination or I can do round trip (+90% of our driving) will be Lightening. I expect all sorts of problems with Ford but charging should not be one of them.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
charging network was one of my bullets for Tesla. Pro range is only 230 miles. Home charging only for me. I am on a Maine trip right now. We have driven 1500 miles so far and total charge time for our outback was probably around 10 minutes. I expect to take the Subaru on all similar trips for the next 10 years. Anything that will have charging at destination or I can do round trip (+90% of our driving) will be Lightening. I expect all sorts of problems with Ford but charging should not be one of them.
I know you are aware of it.

The video cracked me up though. It made a statement quite effectively.

I HOPE Tesla opens their network up as they suggested they will. That will help a bunch... it will be painful for us, but also likely destroy competing networks.

I'm not sure how I feel about the potential of a Tesla charging monopoly. I can see the breakup happening in the not too distant future..

CybertruckAgent

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
i'll admit I recently reso'd a lightning 😬. as much as I love the cybertruck, I just don't see my reservation coming up anytime in the next two years. the lightning may be the same wait but ford has a bunch of them out there in real life and I can see their production ramp up being much quicker. really hoping the ct comes up first!
Same. I reserved an F150 for the option to buy it possibly 2 years earlier than CT.
The Lightning doesn't have the range my spouse wants, the charging network she wants, and doesn't have the price that she wants.

The Rivian trucks are just definitely out of the price range.

-Crissa
I think the range on the Lightning is going to be more than what was stated at release. I watched a “driven!” YouTube review where the press was invited to a track day/demo day, and again when cycling through the menu’s, an F150 that was offloading charge and being used to power the actual press event itself, including several TV’s and a table saw showed an effective range of 346 miles with less than 100% charge. I agree if it’s a Tesla’esque situation where 300 becomes >260 real world, then I definitely wouldn’t consider it, but my prediction is they’re going to be over 350 for the large battery pack.
The thing I’m waiting on with Lighting is the actual pricing and incentives, several claimed leaks of pricing shows the Lariat trim with the big battery starting at 79k+. I’ll definitely take a Tri Motor in that scenario no question about it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I think the range on the Lightning is going to be more than what was stated at release. I watched a “driven!” YouTube review where the press was invited to a track day/demo day, and again when cycling through the menu’s, an F150 that was offloading charge and being used to power the actual press event itself, including several TV’s and a table saw showed an effective range of 346 miles with less than 100% charge.
That's because Ford range estimates are based on past driving. Drive like a grandma, get astronomical range. Drive like the little old lady from Pasadena and...

Anyhow, range estimates are BS without knowing where you're driving. EVs are so efficient that tiny things make massive changes to range. On a hot summer day I can take the freeway and get to the mall fifteen miles away. On a cold day I can take the slow road through the park and get to Costco ten miles away on the same energy. That ride could take 40% of the SoC at 80F vs riding in 40°F weather does. Of course, my bike has no aero and a passive thermal management battery. But the point stands: active range estimate is meaningless without context.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Sanzpeur

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor CT, '06 Ford F250 Super Duty, '18 Model 3 Dual Motor, '08 Subaru STI
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
My Lightning reservation was mainly risk mitigation in the unlikely event that the CT cost skyrockets, is delayed significantly, or some other extremely bone headed design decisions by Tesla (not likely). To my surprise, Ford has exceeded my admittedly low expectations for both the Mach E and now the Lightning. Their tech is certainly not on par with Tesla, but I think of all the other manufacturers, they are taking the greatest strides toward embracing what makes an EV special. I appreciate the attempt to better integrate Vehicle 2 Home and their Frunk design is smart. Other than that though it is basically an electrified F-150.
The main features that put the CT at the top by a wide margin for me is the durability of the stainless exoskeleton design, larger bed, massive payload, off road performance (Clearance, approach and departure angles), and how the producibility keeps costs down to include awesome standard features like the Air suspension and tonneau cover.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I think the range on the Lightning is going to be more than what was stated at release. I watched a “driven!” YouTube review where the press was invited to a track day/demo day, and again when cycling through the menu’s, an F150 that was offloading charge and being used to power the actual press event itself, including several TV’s and a table saw showed an effective range of 346 miles with less than 100% charge.
Can't say for sure but "effective" or "estimated" range often means the range that one would expect if the consumption from the recent past pertained into the future. If the recent consumption was less than the rated consumption the "effective" range will be larger than the rated range and conversely.
I agree if it’s a Tesla’esque situation where 300 becomes >260 real world,
Same with the Tesla. My MXLR+ is, at the moment, showing rated range (based on it's present SoC) of 185 mi but it's estimated range is 192 mi.

...but my prediction is they’re going to be over 350 for the large battery pack.
The estimated range for these vehicles is just that: estimated but the estimates are based on carefully refined models with a little English added (or subtracted). There was lots of speculation that the R1T would have as much as 400 miles range when it announced 300+ way back when. They turned in 316 when the EPA number was finally released. If Ford is currently announcing 350 I think we can be sure it will be over 350 but only by a little - say about 16 miles.

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Website
www.scottmohrmanphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
I made a dual motor Cybertruck reservation originally but have changed it to the Tri motor since then. It is a stretch goal of mine. I have looked at the other EV truck options and for me, it’s the Cybertruck. I have never owned a pickup truck before but like Sandy Munro, I am a Wrangler owner. I don’t see Jeep making a compelling fully electric Wrangler. They will make a fully electric Wrangler but I don’t think they have the will to built it from the ground up and be aggressive about weight reduction. The Wrangler can not get more aerodynamic without changing its looks. And then there is the charging network.

Captcarnage

First Name
Gordon
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350
Country flag
For me, I dont need a truck. I want a CT because its so ugly thats its cool. I want to stick out so people will get out of my way. Plus I like to drive fast. And I hate stopping for gas. Whenever i tell people I have a deposit on one, (tri motor FSD) they think I put down thousands!

although I want it now, I can wait for it to be right. Plus a great war story and bragging rights. “Well I waited 5 years for mine...” Lol
Fortunately my wife just humors me. Ok

Advertisement

Advertisement