Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Upcoming electric trucks: Tesla Cybertruck, Ford F-150 EV, and GMC Hummer EV compared

- Jan. 12th 2021 1:07 am ET
https://electrek.co/2021/01/12/electric-trucks-tesla-cybertruck-ford-f-150-ev-gmc-hummer-ev/

As the world moves into 2021, electric vehicles are a major storyline. Even even long-established and more traditional auto makers (some with more than 100 years of history) have finally wised up and shifted towards EVs to remain competitive. In the next couple of years, three major auto brands, Old and new, will release three highly anticipated electric pick up trucks. We are speaking about Tesla’s upcoming Cybertruck, Ford’s EV F-150 pickup truck, and GMCs modern spin on the gas-guzzling behemoth with the Hummer EV.

With that said, the fleet of electric vehicles worldwide, although growing immensely is still a small part of the automotive pie. Electric vehicle sedans were the ground breakers and record setters as they are generally smaller and less expensive to manufacture. Now that EV automakers seem to have found a stride in production and battery innovations, larger electric trucks are beginning to become an impending reality.

Here’s a side-by-side breakdown outlining how each of these hyped EV trucks came to be and how they compare to one another based on what we know thus far.

Tesla Cybertruck
Let’s start with the youngest automaker on this list in Tesla. Its 17 years of mere existence may pale in comparison to the combined 126 years of experience between Ford Motors and General Motors Company (GMC). That being said, their experience lies mostly with combustion engines and fossils fuels. When it comes to electric vehicles, Tesla’s market cap valuation of $700 billion has ensured a comfortable seat at the top of the EV food chain. Trust that as these other automakers develop their own electric vehicles, the Tesla logo is the target at the center of their office dartboard.

Cybertruck was unveiled in November of 2019 via a glass-shattering Tesla reveal, showcasing unique design and performance. The Cybertruck stands out as the most futuristic looking electric truck on this production list… and on any list for that matter. The exterior is comprised of an exoskeleton of 30x cold-rolled stainless-steel structural skin and Tesla armored glass for its windows.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV Cybertruck-Glass-Shatter

Updates on the Cybertruck were somewhat slow-moving after the unveiling — a solar roof option will offer an additional 15 miles of range each day and a matte black exterior has also been confirmed. Regardless, the hype was real; Tesla tallied over 250,000 pre-orders in the first week. By February 2020, they were at half a million. Last Electrek checked, the count was over 650,000 pre-orders.

Even though the Cybertruck is still about a year from its first scheduled delivery, CEO Elon Musk and the Tesla team have already been working on design improvements. Last November, Musk revealed Tesla’s plans to release an updated Cybertruck design. As for a timeline, Musk said, “a month or so,” but no updates thus far. Keep an eye on our Tesla Cybertruck guide for the latest news as it comes.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV Tesla-Cybertruck-interior-1

Ford F-150 EV
Ford Motor Company has remained a top name in automotive manufacturing since the early 1900s and remains one of the largest automakers in the world today. At one point in history, Ford and GM were two of the top three automakers in the world by market share. While Ford remains a major global player in the auto market, it has seen its share shrink in recent years, especially as the EV market grows.

That said, Ford’s F-series has been around for over 70 years and still remains a banner vehicle line for the automaker. These sales have helped the F-series remain the best selling pickup in the US since the early ’80s. In order to save costs and stay competitive, Ford chose to discontinue many of its sedans to focus on what has always sold well for it — trucks and SUVs.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV All-Electric-F-150-04-2000
F-150 is… going electric?

Not to miss the inevitable electric wave of greener vehicles, Ford has made a huge pivot in recent years toward finally embracing hybrid and electric options in its fleet. A few years ago, the automaker promised an influx of all-electric vehicles and hybrids. In addition to the much-hyped Mustang Mach-E, the American automaker has now adapted a second Ford staple toward all-electric.

The Ford F-150 electric remains the most clouded with mystery (and perhaps uncertainty) in comparison to the other two trucks on this list. So far, we know the prototype can drift through the snow like a Fast & Furious film and can tow over one million pounds in train carts. The hype is impressive and the F-150 electric looks like it can take a beating. However, other than videos of prototypes, there aren’t too many specs to showcase at this point. This is apparent in the comparison chart provided below. Rest assured that as more details inside and out of this upcoming EV emerge, we will update everything.

In the meantime, this electric version of a Ford mainstay is currently scheduled to begin delivering in mid-2022. For now, keep checking our Ford F-150 guide for the latest and greatest.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV F-150-Electric-Towing-Train

GMC Hummer EV
The last electric truck on our list is an old face with a fresh coat of eco-friendly makeup. GMC stands for General Motors Company and is undoubtedly the most brilliant name for a division of General Motors. The GMC brand focuses on SUVs, pickups, and other large vehicles. It’s known to put more of a luxury tag on these trucks in comparison to GM’s Chevrolet counterpart.

The Hummer saga began as a civilian version of a military Humvee fit for the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the early 90s. GM purchased the Hummer name in 1998 and moved to produce three different versions of the massive vehicle: The H1, H2, and H9… kidding, it was obviously the H3 (remember how clever GM is?) After a decade’s worth of glory in music videos and various MTV shows, the gas tank on the Hummer’s life dropped drastically close to “E.”

This was due in large part to the 2008 recession and the world’s demand for limited fossil fuels. The H2’s 10 average mpg probably didn’t help its cause either. By 2010, the last H3 rolled off the GM assembly line and dealerships began to shut their doors.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV hummer-grille

The rebirth of the Hummer
Ten years later, GM used the millions of eyes on the NFL Super Bowl to tease that Hummer was back and would be sold under the GMC brand. Oh, and it’s fully electric this time. Cut to last fall, when consumers (and Electrek) were able to get eyes on the new Hummer EV and what it will offer.

GM originally admitted it did not have a working prototype when it unveiled the truck. However, last December it released some impressive footage of a working Hummer EV to the masses. While the most affordable version of the new Hummer is not slated to roll out until 2024, customers can expect more expensive and decked-out versions in 2022 and 2023. If that’s too long of a wait for you fear not, GM has an Edition 1 Hummer electric coming late 2021 — but it will cost you over $100K. Although, if you didn’t reserve an Edition 1 already, you may have to wait longer. GMC reported that this version sold out in 10 minutes after launching in December. How many new pre-orders actually sold out still remains unclear, though.

Furthermore, the specs GM has shared on the Edition 1 Hummer sound pretty impressive (see chart below). For more details about pricing and trims, Electrek’s Fred Lambert shared an awesome breakdown of the Hummer EV as well.

As always, check out our Hummer EV guide for the latest updates and news regarding whether Arnold goes electric or not.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV Hummer-EV-Rear-View

Cybertruck vs. F-150 EV vs. Hummer EV
As promised, below is a comparison chart of what we currently know about each electric truck. These specs exist in piecemeal all over these automaker’s websites and have been collected into a nifty little chart for you. It’s important to note some claims (ahem, GMC) have yet to actually be demonstrated. In Ford’s case, most of the details of the F-150 electric remain a mystery, so please forgive all the “TBCs,” at least for now.

As we learn more, trust that this chart will be updated:

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV EV-Trucks-Comparison-Chart

Tesla Cybertruck has a head start
Based on the information we have right now, Tesla’s Cybertruck is a front runner in many of the categories. Sure, they’re the only automaker on the list to provide all of the specs listed above, but it’s more than that. Tesla’s tri-motor AWD version of the Cybertruck still currently remains $10,000 less than the least expensive GMC Hummer EV2. Not to mention it’s scheduled to deliver almost three years earlier.

Tesla Cybertruck EV Trucks Compared: Cybertruck has head start on F-150 EV and GMC Hummer EV Cybertruck-Specs-Lists

GMC’s Hummer Edition 1 will offer a tri-motor AWD powertrain and is talking a big game in horsepower and acceleration. However, the Cybertruck tri-motor trim is still a wiser option based solely on price. While they are both set to debut before the end of 2021 (we will see about that), the Cybertruck will reportedly cost over $42,000 less. You can save that dough and buy a Model 3 to tow behind it or something.

Ford’s electric F-150 is truthfully not worth comparing at this point in time, based on how little its manufacturer has shared. With the current starting price around $41,000 for a 2021 F-150 Hybrid, one can imagine that a full-electric version will be more expensive. That being said, if Ford has one thing going for it at this early point is its name. The F-150 is still the go-to pickup truck. If the electric version can deliver payloads and towing capacity comparable to its ICE predecessor, one would hope that Ford loyalists would make the switch.

Comparing Cybertruck, F-150 EV, and Hummer EV will take time
Again, the clear winner in the EV truck race will have to be determined over time. Each of these large automakers has lengthy rollouts planned for each of their trucks’ multiple powertrains. Who knows, perhaps a lesser-known EV manufacturer can get a truck to market first and acquire some of the customers waiting for one of these three. Time will certainly tell; for now, keep it here for updates as they surface.
Sponsored

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I can imagine GM and Ford engineers thinking, "Why exactly are we doing this?". There are many reasons that current ICE trucks are superior, the most obvious is that they exist. I'm very curious to see if Ford can produce an equally capable EV F-150 **independent** of price.

The Hummer on the other hand is a different best than the other two. I'm only curious what the range on that one is considering the size.

I have long believed and still believe that you have to pay green to be green. Maybe someday that won't be true.

In the meantime, December 2021, crossed fingers.

mletou

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna 2007 / Toyota Prius Prime 2019 (wife)
Occupation
Medical Research/Statistical SAS Programmer
Country flag
You forgot the Rivian... bad!

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
You forgot the Rivian... bad!
If you were referring to me, no I didn't not forget the Rivian. I ignored the Rivian. I think Rivian is doing a great job with its development, subdued marketing, attention to detail, etc. Until they mass produce a vehicle and/or have an iconic vehicle that they are transforming, they aren't part of this comparison. Are people sleeping on the Rivian? Maybe, depends on whether they can produce tens of thousands of vehicles a year or not.

BeleeEV

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
I see people once in a while saying there will be matte black version, like this article. I recall Elon said something affirmative to a tweet about it once but then said you can have any color you want with a wrap. I even know people who have reservations with the intent of getting “the matte black one”. Am I missing something?

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
I see people once in a while saying there will be matte black version, like this article. I recall Elon said something affirmative to a tweet about it once but then said you can have any color you want with a wrap. I even know people who have reservations with the intent of getting “the matte black one”. Am I missing something?
Not exactly sure what they are referring to but here's a thread talking about paint and wraps https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...inless-steel-temperature-and-bullet-test.1315

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Here is another study that suggests we will be as special on the road as we know we are:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
“matte black” Mercedes owners tell a nightmare keeping the mate clean all-the-time or it looks like a thousand shdes of ”matte”.

Careful what you wish. Maybe Tesla “ matte” is superior to Mercedes?

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Ford has been spewing hot air about an electric F150 for 5+ years and they're no closer to it..... the Hummer isn't even a truck.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
As the man said during the Ford Lightning reveal, the F-150 has been the #1 selling truck for the past 44 years.. I believe that’s why Elon Targeted the F150. Reducing the CT by 3% in size? Can’t wait to see who rolls out the actual production versions first and how they truly stack up to one another. There’s 13k in front of me for the Lightning, 95k on the CT. Meanwhile, the F150 hybrid averaging 20mpg pulling trailer at least once up over two mountain passes (got 16 on that tank, 26 mpg best tank to date). I do like the 500-700 mile range on this Hybrid.

mje

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Internet Provider
Country flag
What I primarily like about the F150 lightning is the bi-directional power flow capability. I see this is why Transport Evolved (News) wants one - as they don't want to spend money on Storage Batteries for their home solar PV system. I'm afraid that Tesla may not allow for example a 17KW (?) bi-directional supply - as that may eat into the Powerwall sales... even if you can only currently buy PV's and PowerWalls as a package at the moment.
I really like this particular feature and I hope that Tesla allows a full bi-directional power flow.
Yes, I know that there is already some mains power sockets to power tools - etc.

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
As the man said during the Ford Lightning reveal, the F-150 has been the #1 selling truck for the past 44 years.. I believe that’s why Elon Targeted the F150. Reducing the CT by 3% in size? Can’t wait to see who rolls out the actual production versions first and how they truly stack up to one another. There’s 13k in front of me for the Lightning, 95k on the CT. Meanwhile, the F150 hybrid averaging 20mpg pulling trailer at least once up over two mountain passes (got 16 on that tank, 26 mpg best tank to date). I do like the 500-700 mile range on this Hybrid.
How did you determine your place in line for the Lightning? I reserved one too as soon as the reserve button popped up. 90% chance I will wait for the CT though...

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
How did you determine your place in line for the Lightning? I reserved one too as soon as the reserve button popped up. 90% chance I will wait for the CT though...
It’s very possible that my assumption will be incorrect. It all started when someone posted that they felt the number sequence starts at 10800000??? There has been several post where those claimed to order as you did, and have a higher number than mine??? Like you, I’m still in line for the CT but I definitely will have to visit Texas and see for myself the Quality of ride I may be committed to, as it will be my last ride I purchase, ain’t got many years left.

CybrTrkWdWk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
It’s very possible that my assumption will be incorrect. It all started when someone posted that they felt the number sequence starts at 10800000??? There has been several post where those claimed to order as you did, and have a higher number than mine??? Like you, I’m still in line for the CT but I definitely will have to visit Texas and see for myself the Quality of ride I may be committed to, as it will be my last ride I purchase, ain’t got many years left.
That would put me at 21,108 even though I ordered 5 minutes into presentation, about 20 minutes before they even mentioned reserving online so thats not likely the staring number! I would have ordered faster but I had to setup an account. It's all a moot point though because I don't want dings and paint scratches on my truck LOL
I may see if my dad wants to use my reservation if that's even possible.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
That would put me at 21,108 even though I ordered 5 minutes into presentation, about 20 minutes before they even mentioned reserving online so thats not likely the staring number! I would have ordered faster but I had to setup an account. It's all a moot point though because I don't want dings and paint scratches on my truck LOL
I may see if my dad wants to use my reservation if that's even possible.
I just now had a thought….?. I also read via another post that the first 20k units would be reserved for current Ford Pass customers, as I am one. Don’t mean to spread rumors. You stated you had to create an account?? I don’t know for sure how this will all shake out. I’m sure dad will take you up on your offer.?
Sponsored