A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'm referring to a huge net loss from when you start up the mountain, not from the top o' the hill. You'll use up more energy going up than you can recoup from regenning down. Can we agree on that?
I was going to until No. 14 popped up. If you work for an anvil company at the top of a mountain and your job is to deliver to dealers in the valley then no, you don't use more energy going up the hill than you get back going down. But, of course, that's hardly a normal situation. Taking your family up the mountain to a park and bringing them home with regen you should consume only a little more than driving them to the beach and back (assuming that you live at sea level) and that "little more"comes from the fact that regen isn't 100% efficient (can't re capture all the potential energy.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Because it is empty going up, so the work going up is less than the weight and work done by gravity going down.
Right. But it proves the concept and really says that regen is pretty powerful stuff. Even if it only works in certain situations.

There's a hill on the other side of my village that going down I've gotten 5% SoC back. On a warm day, it barely takes more to go up it! The end result is going up and coming back down, I only have to pay for the straight-line mileage in range. As long as I get good regen (steady speed above min or heavy load), hills basically equal out.

-Crissa

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
The work that charges this trucks batteries came from whatever geologic force it was that pushed up the mountain,
Exactly, it only gives us free power, much like solar energy, if we ignore all the parts that cost, just because we didn't 'pay' for them.
(meaning, we didn't pay for the crust rising nor do we pay for the sun's fusion)

LKP

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
Why can't this be a thing?

The battery puts the vehicle in motion. While in motion, why can't the wheel generate electricity and recharge the battery?

I've got a radio at home that can charge by the sun as well as charge by turning the hand crank.
A wheel can be used to generate electricity while driving, however, the resistance that it causes on drag to generate electricity will have a negative effect and actually take more power to operate the vehicle. This only works during the regenerative braking or coasting when kinetic energy can be send back to the battery rather than being wasted.

OP
OP

maconjt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hoping to be a Cybertruck owner.
Occupation
FMEA Coordinator
Country flag
A wheel can be used to generate electricity while driving, however, the resistance that it causes on drag to generate electricity will have a negative effect and actually take more power to operate the vehicle. This only works during the regenerative braking or coasting when kinetic energy can be send back to the battery rather than being wasted.
Yep...I get it. I was just trying to think outside the box for ways to recharge the battery. Hopefully the concept of solar panels in the bed comes to fruition. :)

Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
For now things will and do advance.

LKP

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Ford Fusion plug-in hybrid
Occupation
Retired manager
Country flag
For now things will and do advance.
Things do advance, however, one can't get around the law of physics. Perpetual motion energy just isn't possible.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Why can't this be a thing?

The battery puts the vehicle in motion. While in motion, why can't the wheel generate electricity and recharge the battery?

I've got a radio at home that can charge by the sun as well as charge by turning the hand crank.
To quote one of the greats TANSTAAFL. “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”
Sponsored