F150 Lightning Predictions

CybrTrkWdWk

Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor FSD
Occupation
Design, Woodworking
Country flag
IIRC, the payload for all variants of CT is 3500 lbs, compared to 2000 lbs for the F150L. I agree, the specs are not weak when compared with ICE 1/2 ton trucks, but the CT will have much more payload and towing capacity in trimotor variant. The dual motor will have similar towing specs but more payload by quite a bit.

The lack of variable suspension on the F150 is a huge deficit in comparison, IMO. Guys only wanting a work truck probably won't care, but people like me that do travel rough dirt roads regularly will crave variable suspension.

I do challenge that the F150L is going to be $52k with any good accumulation of options. Every bit of language I heard was "available" this, or with small graphics showing "optional". All those costs are going to add many thousands to the vehicle. I would bet a well apportioned (not even the top trim level) will cost $70k, putting it at a price point of the CT3, with much lower specs.

It's a good looking truck, based on traditional styling. This is going to attract buyers for sure. I don't see how Lordstown survives at this point. This is a much better truck than the Endurance and by a known, trusted entity.

I'm hoping that Tesla now puts out their production specs and they include a power frunk and more outlets, along with a way to power your house. That would wipe the floor with F150 at that point.
You are absolutely right. I was speculating based on the early leaked info before the reveal. After seeing all the details, this will be a great option for Ford guys and people who don't like low poly trucks, but pales in comparison to the CT specs and price wise. The lack of V2H is the one major advantage for F-150...I live in Texas and survived the freezing week long blackouts, and this would have been so helpful. I have a heavily tree shaded home so solar/powerwall isn't an option for me. Please add V2H Elon!

Advertisement

electricAK

Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
The lack of variable suspension on the F150 is a huge deficit in comparison, IMO.
Bingo. Considering that the CT has variable suspension, and more clearance overall, why would you ever choose the Lightning?

And lets talk about range. Someone else mentioned the truck aerodynamics of the F150 . This is a huge factor and most likely the reason the F150 range wont ever match the CT. The tonneau cover and triangular design on the CT are not just about looks or lockable storage, they are there principally to turn the vehicle body into an effective wing. Tesla (nearly) eliminated the low pressure vortex that forms in a truck bed. That vortex = DRAG. It bleeds energy and sucks a lot of range.

Ford is foolish to think that they can compete in the EV truck space without redesigning their trucks! Tesla, on the other hand, is basically an aerospace company and it shows.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
Ford is foolish to think that they can compete in the EV truck space without redesigning their trucks! Tesla, on the other hand, is basically an aerospace company and it shows.
Ford has an existing customer base and ICE production lines and suppliers that may make the next smart move a different move that it would be for a company that starts from scratch.

p.s. I have never owned a Ford and never been a big fan (no disrespect to those that are). But I think what they have done here is the right move for them at this point in time even if lightening is not as efficient as CT. For a Ford fan that is not interested in serious towing, it is like a CT compare to every other F150 they have seen. For 2022 and 2023, I don’t think any of them need to worry about losing customers to others.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I was going to put in a reservation as well, seeing that today marks my one-year anniversary of putting in my CT order, but I think I will wait and see.

When I went to the Ford website, they had little to no new information. The catch for me was that
I didn't like the idea of a salesperson being involved from the beginning. They also said on the website that you would order this fall. And my neighbor did this similar thing when the Bronco was announced. He put in his pre-order for the big Bronco thinking it would be a little while. They wanted him to put in an order before he was ready (a few months ago), so he had to cancel his order.

If they want an order from me by this fall, before we really see when and what the CT is, I won't be ready.
Happy anniversary.

Diehard

First Name
D
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Frontier, CT2
Country flag
I'm glad to be wrong about the base price, tho ^-^

-Crissa
You are only wrong if It is sold to a customer at that price. It remains to be seen.

You are a lady. You reserve the right to be right as long as possible ;)

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Private Lending Educator
Country flag

-Crissa
I’m glad the base price is as low as it is. I’m worried though what the dealerships are going to charge. It wouldn’t surprise me if this starts to cannibalize the ICE version. And if it’s as popular as I think it will be, there will be shortages. When there are shortages, dealerships mark up the prices.

Sandy recommends that if one buys an F-150 Lightning that you should buy the most expensive package if you really want to be happy with the truck. Given that advice and my expectation that the dealerships will be marking it up, there’s a chance it could be over $110k to get one. And that’s before all the extra fees.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

-Crissa
I was wrong also. I forgot how much Ford and Legacy Automakers play with pricing. They go with a stripped down cheap Bottom of the barrel price, then hit you with all the options. It's wild they can take a $39900 starting point an go all the way to $90,400 with basically just options and extras. It was funny seeing Sandy Munro's video telling people, if you want a Lightning, buy the Platinum model, that's how you'll be happy and get what you want. You are correct FutureBoy. The dealers are probably licking their chops. Even on the Ford site in the fine print they are saying the prices are subject to change.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
You are only wrong if It is sold to a customer at that price. It remains to be seen.

You are a lady. You reserve the right to be right as long as possible ;)
Even if that price is aspirational, it means their aspirations are in a good place.

Tesla has a long way to go to get their supply to meet that aspirational price, too.

I don't expect that base price F150 to be any good, but I expect it will exist. That's not nothing.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
I’m glad the base price is as low as it is. I’m worried though what the dealerships are going to charge. It wouldn’t surprise me if this starts to cannibalize the ICE version. And if it’s as popular as I think it will be, there will be shortages. When there are shortages, dealerships mark up the prices.

Sandy recommends that if one buys an F-150 Lightning that you should buy the most expensive package if you really want to be happy with the truck. Given that advice and my expectation that the dealerships will be marking it up, there’s a chance it could be over $110k to get one. And that’s before all the extra fees.
The F-150 Lightning has much less price/value combinations to any level of Cybertruck.

The expensive F-150 Lightning Platinum with extended battery & all the other features is still a much better value than the Hummer EV.

DVANDERM

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid
Country flag
While the CT has better features offered (IE Tesla been in the EV game for awhile, charging network, stainless steel, minimalistic interior, etc) the F-150 does have one thing I like much more. The frunk is going to have a much lower entrance than the CT which will make reaching to the back easier. I do have to be honest here and state I have always liked the Ford F-150s design since the 12th generation. I keep seeing the Ford F-150 lightning and going "ooooooooooo" and then seeing the CT and going "oooooooooo". This is torture as I want BOTH of them.

I do know from driving rental F-150's the seats are comfortable for those of us who are tall and with a lot of junk in our trunk. Plenty of head, leg, hip, and elbow room I'm just hoping the CT has the same comfort and roominess.

1621598413647.png

1621598484951.png

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
While the CT has better features offered (IE Tesla been in the EV game for awhile, charging network, stainless steel, minimalistic interior, etc) the F-150 does have one thing I like much more. The frunk is going to have a much lower entrance than the CT which will make reaching to the back easier. I do have to be honest here and state I have always liked the Ford F-150s design since the 12th generation. I keep seeing the Ford F-150 lightning and going "ooooooooooo" and then seeing the CT and going "oooooooooo". This is torture as I want BOTH of them.

I do know from driving rental F-150's the seats are comfortable for those of us who are tall and with a lot of junk in our trunk. Plenty of head, leg, hip, and elbow room I'm just hoping the CT has the same comfort and roominess.

1621598413647.png

1621598484951.png

Yes, the Cybertruck frunk is smaller than F-150 EV but I am not sure about the entry height.

The front end of modern Ford F-150s are normally very high.

The front of Cybertruck is lower and then the frunk does down from there. Also the Ford EV does not have adjustable height suspension. With Cybertruck you can lower the whole truck.

In the end, the entry to the Cybertruck frunk might be the same or lower.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
If you look at the tires, the Cybertruck's frunk will be only an inch or so higher than the Lightning's.

Remember, the Lightning doesn't kneel and has that massive bumper whereas the Cybertruck has a nose basically no larger than the bumper.

-Crissa

Advertisement

Advertisement