F150 Powerboost Hybrid

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I live in Wisconsin. We are considered one of the most progressive states and a testbed for innovation. Our democrat governor struck down a bill that would have ended the law requiring dealerships in order for a manufacturer to sell cars in the state. Michigan has a similar law, and so does Texas and many others.

I see teslas all the time up here, but the first and only supercharger I have ever seen was in Mobile, Alabama. And there was a model 3 using it.
Tesla doesn't install lone superchargers, even in rural areas. So I think you must have meant plural (Superchargers) in Mobile, AL. The fewest I've seen were four, more often 8, so if someone is using it, you don't have to wait. The lines you read about in the media are very rare unless you happen to live in a real hotbed of Tesla growth activity. And then Tesla comes in and builds giant new Supercharging facilities to handle the growth. The largest Supercharger Station in the world has 76 stalls and in the US it's 56 stalls with plans to expand it to over 100 stalls this year. Over the last several years here in Western Washington I've seen the number of Supercharger locations grow like wildfire. My local Supercharger has 8 stalls and there are most often only 1 or 2 cars at it because Tesla keeps adding additional stations in surrounding areas to handle the rapidly growing load.

Advertisement

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live in Wisconsin. We are considered one of the most progressive states and a testbed for innovation. Our democrat governor struck down a bill that would have ended the law requiring dealerships in order for a manufacturer to sell cars in the state. Michigan has a similar law, and so does Texas and many others.
I know, it's an American shame. It's anti-capitalistic and anti-competitive. I would go so far as to say it's un-American and sets a bad example for other countries around the world. Fortunately, none of them (that I know of) are following the examples set by these un-American, anti-competitive states. Those of you who live in such states should stand up for American ideals of the competitiveness that capitalism espouses and get rid of those disgraceful laws and the politicians that enacted them to please special interests.

Companies are supposed to beat the competition by making better, cheaper, more durable products, not by getting laws passed to keep the competition away. Shame! In these states it's easier to sell a Korean, Chinese or German car than it is to sell one made and engineered right here in America!

If I was America's enemy and I wanted to collapse the US economy, I would lobby for laws making it hard to sell superior domestic products, while favoring imports and inferior domestic products.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

I see teslas all the time up here, but the first and only supercharger I have ever seen was in Mobile, Alabama. And there was a model 3 using it.
There are currently 12 Tesla Superchargers (DC Fast Charger) operating in Wisconsin, USA.
9 more coming soon.
See Tesla web page for new coming soon locations.
https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/superchargers/United+States

Eau Claire, WI Supercharger 4601 Keystone Crossing Eau Claire, WI 54701 Roadside Assistance: (877) 798-3752

Howard, WI Supercharger 2015 Shawano Avenue Howard, Wisconsin 54303-2606

La Crosse Supercharger 2845 Midwest Dr Onalaska, WI 54650

Lake Geneva, WI Supercharger 7036 Grand Geneva Way Lake Geneva, WI 53147

Madison, WI - E. Washington Ave. Supercharger 3801 E. Washington Ave Madison, WI 53704

Madison, WI – East Towne Mall Supercharger 89 East Towne Mall Madison, WI 53704 '

Mauston, WI Supercharger 640 McEvoy St Mauston, WI 53948

Oak Creek, WI Supercharger 171 West Town Square Way Oak Creek, WI 53154-6801

Oshkosh, WI Supercharger 2415 Westowne Avenue Oshkosh, WI 54904-7776

Pleasant Prairie, WI Supercharger 11211 120th Ave Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158

Sheboygan Supercharger 595 S Taylor Drive Sheboygan, WI 53081

Wausau, WI - North Mountain Rd Supercharger 2101 North Mountain Rd Wausau, WI 54401-8117

---------

Map of Tesla chargers
https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=78.89683779913545,29.049195821523053,-7.921633865716881,142.77966457152309&zoom=3&filters=store,service,destination charger,bodyshop&search=Wisconsin, USA

----------

There are many other public chargers in Wisconsin, USA.
Besides the 12 Tesla Superchargers there are 250 other public chargers (a few are DC-Fast, many L2, others L1). There are even public chargers in Eau Claire, La Crosse, Wausau, and Green Bay.

At the Charge Hub link below you can see charger locations
You can select charge speed ( level filter ) and also connector type (connector filter)
Charge Hub
https://chargehub.com/en/charging-stations-map.html

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge
Find EV charging stations with PlugShare's map of over 440,000 electric vehicle charging stations around the world!
https://www.plugshare.com

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Hybrid Corolla, F250
Occupation
Retired Underground Coal Miner
Country flag
Pappy, you bring up a good point here that I don't see discussed often enough.

When you run out of gas you need to find a place that has both fuel and electricity available (except in the very rare circumstance of gravity feed tanks or hand-crank pumps).

But unless there is a power outage, there is basically electricity everywhere there are buildings. So while an EV does take longer to fuel, in an emergency you can generally do it anywhere people live. Because plenty of people live a long ways from gasoline but almost no one lives a long ways from electricity. And as each year goes by there are more and more EV charging stations and 240V outlets in out-of-the-way places. Gas stations, on the other hand, have been declining for decades.

My ski cabin is one example of many. It is on a dead-end highway going into the North Cascades but the ski area is still another 20 miles deeper into the mountains and the nearest fuel is another 27 miles in the opposite direction. When all I had was a gasoline powered vehicle, I couldn't go skiing every day without periodically having to make a needless trip all the way to the next town JUST to get gas. I can dine-out at 4 different restaurants, shop for outdoor gear, clothing, fishing tackle, get food, beer, groceries, ice, everything one might need to enjoy the mountains, except for gasoline, without having to drive the wrong direction. Now that I have an electric car I can fill it up at my cabin without having to make a trip just to get more gas. This saves time, money, fuel and wear/tear on the vehicle and tires. There used to be a gas station in town but it closed over 30 years ago. Gas availability in many rural areas is still an inconvenience.

During winter storms, the curvy road can be treacherous so it increases safety to not have to be driving back into the next largest town just to get gas. And they are not building more gas stations. Electricity is more available and growing every year while gasoline availability is slowly shrinking and this shrinking availability of gasoline is forecast to accelerate dramatically in coming years. This is something to consider if your next vehicle purchase is expected to last you for 10 years or longer.

Going forward, electricity is the fuel of the future and it's happening a lot faster than the experts predicted. This is how technological disruption happens, in an "S" curve, and we are entering the steepest portion of that growth curve right now. Globally, EV sales made up almost 5% of the market in 2020 and IHS Markit has forecast that number to jump by 70% for 2021. That means, globally, 8% of new car sales will be electric THIS YEAR!
Nice discussion about the future and I too live in a cabin away from all the necessities that you speak about. Soooo, a solar system on the cabin is in my future to charge up my CT. Getting fuel is an absolute hassle at times.
When I head to the mountains I typically carry 10 to 20 gallons of extra fuel for the generator and truck. If I run low on fuel, I pour in fuel and off I go. I need a good plan for my CT when I go camping, I have some solar panels that I can take with but 750 to 1, watts will take like forever to get a few more miles out of the CT. So, running out of gas today has been solved by purchasing extra fuel cans, what the hell am I gonna do when I run out of electrons high in the mountains? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice discussion about the future and I too live in a cabin away from all the necessities that you speak about. Soooo, a solar system on the cabin is in my future to charge up my CT. Getting fuel is an absolute hassle at times.
When I head to the mountains I typically carry 10 to 20 gallons of extra fuel for the generator and truck. If I run low on fuel, I pour in fuel and off I go. I need a good plan for my CT when I go camping, I have some solar panels that I can take with but 750 to 1, watts will take like forever to get a few more miles out of the CT. So, running out of gas today has been solved by purchasing extra fuel cans, what the hell am I gonna do when I run out of electrons high in the mountains? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Trip planning is required in rural areas whether you use gas or electrons. But different fuel sources obviously require different planning. One difference, as you noted, is that you can make your own electrons in a pinch. Regardless of your fuel source, all trip planning should be designed so it doesn't violate the laws of physics.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
EVs don't care what the generator runs on: Be it gas, hydro, solar.

That's why they're actually better in rural areas.

And grid supplied electricity is cheaper to make transmission lines than pipelines or trucks cost.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

Solar + powerwall type battery bank at cabin. Does not need to be Tesla brand.

Alternative
fuel generator that runs on propane from propane tank. propane can sit for long periods of time without gunking up the engine

Last edited:

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Solar + powerwall type battery bank at cabin. Does not need to be Tesla brand.

Alternative
fuel generator that runs on propane from propane tank. propane can sit for long periods of time without gunking up the engine
Solar panels are getting cheaper and cheaper. The cost is low enough that I would put $5K more solar panels rather than buy a Propane generator and tank (that you have to haul in on a truck). With enough cheap solar panels you can charge your truck even on a cloudy day. The tank and generator would probably be more than $5K and you have the continuing expenses of propane, hauling, and maintenance on the generator. It would cost more to run an EV from a propane generator than just to buy gas for a gas vehicle. With the solar panels you have free charging for the life of the panels, typically 25 - 40 years or more. Plus, you can use the electricity to heat or cool your cabin, run a fridge, etc.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Solar panels are getting cheaper and cheaper. The cost is low enough that I would put $5K more solar panels rather than buy a Propane generator and tank (that you have to haul in on a truck). With enough cheap solar panels you can charge your truck even on a cloudy day. The tank and generator would probably be more than $5K and you have the continuing expenses of propane, hauling, and maintenance on the generator. It would cost more to run an EV from a propane generator than just to buy gas for a gas vehicle. With the solar panels you have free charging for the life of the panels, typically 25 - 40 years or more. Plus, you can use the electricity to heat or cool your cabin, run a fridge, etc.
Solar panels work great for charging the CT at the cabin. How do I refill the CT when I’m 2-1/2 hours away from the cabin up in the mountains, at my claim, on Property that the Government won’t allow the construction of a small building let alone a solar arrays big enough to charge the CT. Back to a fossil fuel powered generator that takes hours for a couple miles? I know my situation is unique and I’m not trying to be negative about EV’s cause they are the future. Please keep coming with ideas, one will work for my situation.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Then put the panels on a trailer and leave it there.

It's not like they need to be permanent if nothing is using them...

Lotsa ways around the 'no permanent structures' rule.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Solar panels work great for charging the CT at the cabin. How do I refill the CT when I’m 2-1/2 hours away from the cabin up in the mountains, at my claim, on Property that the Government won’t allow the construction of a small building let alone a solar arrays big enough to charge the CT. Back to a fossil fuel powered generator that takes hours for a couple miles? I know my situation is unique and I’m not trying to be negative about EV’s cause they are the future. Please keep coming with ideas, one will work for my situation.
If your claim is that remote you should probably just use a gas vehicle and bring jerry cans. That's a real edge case for EV's with no place to put solar cells.

Pappy

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Crissa, HaulingAss I thought I was the only person who had trouble sleeping at night,😂😂😂

Advertisement

Advertisement