Fender flare material

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Anyone have a good idea what material the black fender flares are made from on the CT? They are likely just plastic of some sort but could they be made of stainless that has been painted or coated?
Sponsored

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Anyone have a good idea what material the black fender flares are made from on the CT? They are likely just plastic of some sort but could they be made of stainless that has been painted or coated?
I've had this question for a long while. In general, being plastic would be just fine if they are easily replaceable for a cheap price. That way, when offroading I won't be so worried about dinging them. But they also hold the cameras. I really don't want to rip out a camera while going through some brush or through a rock obstacle. I'm hoping there is a great solution here that allows for the inevitable dings without disabling the mirrors or FSD.

OP
OP
jhogan2424

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Yes I ? agree. I don’t like how black plastic tends to fade over time too.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Maybe they were just 3D printed for the show car. And Prod will be much better, just like Elon.. make Prod better then the concept car.. lol idk just thinking out loud. We will find out something by Christmas time..

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Maybe they were just 3D printed for the show car. And Prod will be much better, just like Elon.. make Prod better then the concept car.. lol idk just thinking out loud. We will find out something by Christmas time..
? All I want for Christmas is my Cybertruck update ?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
People who have seen it up close or touched it say they are some kind of plastic.
So sacrificial fender-off‘r flares rather than scratch and dent the exterior S.S. Its not S.S. but I have orig. factory fender flares on my rig - 24 yrs now.

Plastic can be durable, repainted and replaced affordably. Heat deformation is the only visible change over time. Its only on RR wheel arc, Tesla! Other Tahoes have it RR as well so it confirmational in N.A. market.

CompMaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri CT
Country flag
Maybe can't be SS as stamping would be too hard of a challenge for the small cameras in them? Or the intergerty of the fender with the camera in it? Idk, I'm sure they have tested options and did not want to go with plastic but may have not had a choice in the matter..

flamaest

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
obviously this is prototype, but we can see from all the hi-res closeup shots from the Peterson museum that this, and probably the final version will be high-strength plastic.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
obviously this is prototype, but we can see from all the hi-res closeup shots from the Peterson museum that this, and probably the final version will be high-strength plastic.
The problem though is when the "high-strength" plastic gets pressured between a solid rock wall and the extremely hard stainless steel of the CT body. Unless that high-strength plastic is as strong or stronger than the stainless steel, it's going to get broken/bent/ripped off. And as I said originally, that would be OK for me except for the problem of the embedded cameras. If ripping off the plastic means ripping off the cameras too, off-roading is going to get expensive.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Hopefully the camera the just pop into the flare so that the part that takes the hit is cheap.

Cameras also can be cheap - that's why Tesla has so many - but at retail they get get spendy.

-Crissa

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Hopefully the camera the just pop into the flare so that the part that takes the hit is cheap.

Cameras also can be cheap - that's why Tesla has so many - but at retail they get get spendy.

-Crissa
Yeah, I was hoping though that the camera might get moved up just a bit to be in a small hole in the SS body with a glass/plastic cover that was not sticking out any further than the SS. There are probably aesthetic reasons not to do that, possibly visibility or point of view issues. but if well designed I bet it would work and that would give ultimate protection to the camera. Then if the plastic wheel flares get ripped off I would have no concern in the world. In fact, if I was running obstacles I might just snap them off for the run. Then snap them back on before getting back on the road.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
I give it 6 months after release before we see steel aftermarket bumpers.

Personally I prefer plastic on my Wrangler with hard points. Those aftermarket steel bumpers are HEAVY.