First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tacoma
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Been lurking for a while, and not sure if this has been posted yet but Elon had some interesting comments regarding delivery on the earnings call.

He basically stated that a few deliveries by the end of 2021 and most deliveries would take place in 2022. So depending on what factors effect delivery time (location, position in line, ect) sounds like '22 will be when most people can expect to get their truck.

https://livestream.tesla.com/

at about 58:30 he makes a few comments
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
It would have to be pretty damaged or flooded to lose a steel bumper in the rain.

-Crissa
The other Tesla models use frame and panel designs and are very different than the CT but we understand the issue as being about early-run manufacturing issues, and the CT will surely have them.

OP
OP

cjosulli

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Tacoma
Country flag
These types of quality issues are relatively isolated and are worse at the beginning of the production runs (people who have issues complain, happy customers dont go on twitter tirades). My model 3 is an 18 and had some small issues which tesla fixed, I'm somewhere around 10,000 on the reservation list for my cybertruck and will happily take delivery ASAP. If theres something crazy wrong with it I wont take delivery until its fixed.

I was hoping for a late 21 delivery of my truck as I have a lease (Tacoma) expiring in spring 21, so based on these comments a more realistic expectation seems to be spring 22. I guess ill have to figure something to bridge that gap as a years going to be a bit long without a truck .

Scot Braley

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
97' chevy 4x4 and a 2015 ford fusion hybrid
Occupation
cabinet maker / handyman
Country flag
Well...gives me more time to save so I can convince myself (and my wife) that I do in fact need the tri-motor and not just a dual.
save up for the truck!! ? with the price of the self driving constantly going up I'll need more time to save up just for that.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
save up for the truck!! ? with the price of the self driving constantly going up I'll need more time to save up just for that.
If you think there is a chance you might want the FSD why not bake the price in while it is still $8,000? That I don't get. You can change your mind later and not get it, but you cannot add it without these incremental increases. That, it seems to me, is a no brainer.

m.delmed129

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, LR, DM, FSD. Cybertruck Res.
Country flag
It would have to be pretty damaged or flooded to lose a steel bumper in the rain.

-Crissa
Have they confirmed the bumpers, or any of the black portion of the truck to be Steel? I know the exoskeleton, and majority of the exterior is, however, in close ups, that appears to be standard plastic on rocker portion, and surrounding. Will be interesting to find out.

Regarding the delivery timeline, I was a little surprised, as I thought they would beat the initial timeline, but building a new factory, and scaling production on a new vehicle is, as they’ve said..extremely difficult. This will give me more time to save for the tri-motor vs Dual.

Rickjcs

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 model Y Cybertruck
Occupation
Computer repair
Country flag
Sorry to bust peoples bubble the Cybertruck front and rear bumper is plastic just like the other models you can see the the detail in the hole for the receiver for the trailer hitch in this photo.
Tesla Cybertruck First Cybertruck Deliveries by End of 2021 - Says Musk on Q3 Earnings Call DB047F78-2964-4D1A-8DFA-48F4FE8B8A26

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The outer layer in US bumpers has to be plastic, at least for standard street models. That isn't required in commercial vehicles, but...

Yes, it'll have some plastic on the fenders. Probably all the black parts. That's okay, plastic is easy to repair and softer on things which hit your truck.

-Crissa

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
Hopefully none of these will lose their bumper in the rain. I’m about number 35000 in line, I hope I get one in 2022. I certainly wouldn’t take the first batch given Tesla‘s track record. They also Just did away with their 7 day return policy. You’d have to be real brave, rich and or stupid to take a CT in 2021.
Production issues seem to exclusively in Fremont.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Sorry to bust peoples bubble the Cybertruck front and rear bumper is plastic just like the other models you can see the the detail in the hole for the receiver for the trailer hitch in this photo.
DB047F78-2964-4D1A-8DFA-48F4FE8B8A26.png
I am not convinced, from that photograph, that the bumper is plastic, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if it is. Whatever the reason for Model 3 bumpers coming off in puddles, I have confidence that Tesla won’t let that happen on a vehicle designed/intended for serious off-road use.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
only about 1 year from now?! thats bonkers. Im front-ish of the line for base model. so maybe another year after that? gotta save! im excited to start seeing them on the road.
also happy to be in the later batches where issues should be ironed out.

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
I thought the first few CTs were for employees. NDA? Ideally they will produce betas using actual production tooling to dial in springback of the sheetmetal and other fit issues. With these Betas they can abuse them and hopefully tweak the designs before orders are delivered.
In terms of timing they will need to start making betas next summer. It is more challenging to get the 4680 cells to acceptable yields than to tweak sheet metal and welding.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
If you think there is a chance you might want the FSD why not bake the price in while it is still $8,000? That I don't get. You can change your mind later and not get it, but you cannot add it without these incremental increases. That, it seems to me, is a no brainer.
Amen to this!!! I preach all the time that it's ridiculous not to lock in the FSD price now before production, even if you are 100% sure now that you won't want it. Do people think the price will go down or something? Opinions change all the time, there's always a possibility that you'll want FSD by the time you get your CT. If you didn't lock in your price now, you'll instantly feel regret as the price will be harder to justify in the event that you decide to get it.

Imagine if Elon came to you 15 years ago and said "I'm taking Tesla public and will agree to sell you stock at $20/share, give you the option to bail out of the deal if you'd like by the time we go public, and it won't cost you anything to lock in the price now." Would you really pass up a free guaranteed price with no obligation?
Sponsored