DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Really, font size! WTF. Remedy is an over the air software update.

This reminds me of the meme that states owner's manuals in the 1950s used to instruct owners on how to set the points (ignition system). Nowadays owner’s manuals warn owners not to drink the battery acid.

Celiboy

First Name
Marcel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3, 2022 Model Y, 2024 AWD Cybertruck
Occupation
Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
Country flag
Excuse my ignorance, but would this then pause any deliveries of CT until addressed?
No worries. I doubt it. It’ll be done with a software update so no need to stop production. Those that are coming off the line or are being prepared for delivery can be updated before the customer picks it up. It’s not a safety issue, just increasing font size in certain areas.

bang21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, AWD FS Cybertruck (RN11276…)
Country flag
on the positive side, my 2017 model S that no longer gets updates might actually get an update once again :p
I have a 2017 MS. I was waiting for the FSD beta and noticed I was stuck not getting updates. I got the entertainment system upgrade and it allowed for updates including FSD beta. The entertainment upgrade replaces the memory chip that’s preventing updates (because it could fail). I’ve been getting regular updates since the upgrade in early 2021. Tesla provided the hardware at a discount since it resolves the memory storage issue. I think it was $1,500. The screen is much more responsive. Worth it for me since I was eager to use FSD.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Some icon/image changes as well. Fairly minor.

Not the first time Tesla has played with font sizes and didn't consider official regulations and wide swath of their years (young to old eyes).

These guys have a 20K fleet so it can be a good indication when firmware OTAs versions show up on their public (no login) firmware page: https://www.teslafi.com/firmware.php

vb8Vf46.jpg

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I have a 2017 MS. I was waiting for the FSD beta and noticed I was stuck not getting updates. I got the entertainment system upgrade and it allowed for updates including FSD beta. The entertainment upgrade replaces the memory chip that’s preventing updates (because it could fail). I’ve been getting regular updates since the upgrade in early 2021. Tesla provided the hardware at a discount since it resolves the memory storage issue. I think it was $1,500. The screen is much more responsive. Worth it for me since I was eager to use FSD.
yea i know, but i am not paying that much just for the entertainment update, it's not worth it. FSD isnt worth it either. its not the memory chip that stopping updates, ive had mine replaced already. its not updating because its an older vehicle and like an old iphone they have moved on and arent doing anything for the old platform anymore. the new infotainment computer just gets updates because its the new platform like the newer cars have. but unless you get the new autopilot computer too (not the same as infotainment computer) and replace the camera with color cameras (2017s have black and white cameras i believe) FSD wont be great.

bang21

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, AWD FS Cybertruck (RN11276…)
Country flag
yea i know, but i am not paying that much just for the entertainment update, it's not worth it. FSD isnt worth it either. its not the memory chip that stopping updates, ive had mine replaced already. its not updating because its an older vehicle and like an old iphone they have moved on and arent doing anything for the old platform anymore. the new infotainment computer just gets updates because its the new platform like the newer cars have. but unless you get the new autopilot computer too (not the same as infotainment computer) and replace the camera with color cameras (2017s have black and white cameras i believe) FSD wont be great.
Mine already had the cameras. It is a late 2017 build. I got the FSD computer upgrade about six months before the entertainment upgrade. So I’m fully on the FSD 3 hardware. Makes sense why you aren’t getting updates anymore—thought I’d share my experience in case anyone wants to get that era MS up to date.

Ward L

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, FS CT AWD ordered 12/31
Country flag
on the positive side, my 2017 model S that no longer gets updates might actually get an update once again :p
Do you know why you don’t get updates anymore? Is there a time limit on updates?

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you know why you don’t get updates anymore? Is there a time limit on updates?
no idea but its been a year or two now and its a 2017 Model S Refresh running software 2022.08.10.16

so i guess 5 years give or take of updates before they stopped.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Mine already had the cameras. It is a late 2017 build. I got the FSD computer upgrade about six months before the entertainment upgrade. So I’m fully on the FSD 3 hardware. Makes sense why you aren’t getting updates anymore—thought I’d share my experience in case anyone wants to get that era MS up to date.
honestly when the unlimited mile battery and motor warrenty expires next year im not sure what ill do keep it or sell it, i defintly wouldn't spend thousands on it personally. i would miss the unlimited free supercharging for life.
Sponsored