Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
No.

A Tesla is a computer on wheels. It dials home with every new buyer. New account, new registration. Flippers cause load.

Even my Zero does that.

-Crissa
That’s baked-in to Tesla software. Its completely automatron process controlled. We don’t have operators standing by, writing VIN to Owner accounts, anymore. Tesla don’t even have humans to handle the odd exception i.e. “dupe VIN” that’s a bug.
Apple certainly isnt barking at flippers who buy a secondhand iDevice. Its just not the scale of brand erosion that the arbitrage behind flipping suggests.
This is capitalism. WallSt build wealth on flipping IPO stock, leverages off arbitrage to make money. What’s going-on here is that people bought-in to the product, literally. Early adopters do this. Chinese are notorious buying product to INSTGRAM then flip it! People are so different. Media has driven purchasing. So every flipping isn’t eroding. It’s further affording the Cybertruck dream.
Sure there’s the odd duck whose circumstances change and the need that triggered the Cybertruck may not but the time CT has taken, beyond control, changed. That’s not the odd duck’s problem. But ducks like water and Cybertruck is what that duck likes, if for just flipping after buying. No harm.
Sponsored

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
To be honest, I am a selfish person
We are selfish. Tesla are selfish. Teslas remain nameplated identity on the road that reflects back on Tesla. Tesla have a vested interest in Teslas behaving in a way that betters its brand, improves its image and accomplishes its mission.
Altruism is a “good”, called goodwill. Tesla designed and engineered CO2 reduction for the good of reducing global warming in every product it sells. Goodwill sells Teslas. Its real, measurable and quantifiable good that isn’t software manipulable aka Dieselgate. Cradle-to-grave every child borne Tesla improves the air it breathes. That good makes the world a safer place. Tesla did that. You do that with every Tesla you buy! It’s my selfish justification to buy a pickup I really, truly don’t need. But I hate cars and the EV I dream to own is a few more years ‘cuz I like the roadster of SUV’s(i.e. Jeep, Bronco, Blazer, Tahoe, etc…) a two door SUV. I like’m big no Jimny‘s, Brute’s or Squirts! LOL Cybertruck was 200% perfect out-of-the-gate. That was good enough to pull the trigger even tho the pickup bed isn’t the preferred embodiment. I will use it. I might like it better. Tesla switch to composite bedliner suggests its making what I dislike about pickup beds, Tesla is improving, maybe.
Tesla would slap capitalism in the face that made Teslas possible attacking resale of its products.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Based on the possible formula of [GT can't produce them in the quantity Tesla is hoping for] X [mild recession], I can see the CT being flipped like pancakes.

Either way, the CT is so close I can smell it (no seriously, I just picked up my MYP today - imagining that smell in a CT is all I can think about at the moment)
Congrats on the new car. The Y is amazing

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Even if there's no operators standing by, transactions are still load. And flippers filling the line and frustrating customers is not good for the company's prospectives. Lastly, flippers can and will dump their reservations much more readily than permanent customers, their demand is ephemeral and hide the true demand curve.

-Crissa

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That’s baked-in to Tesla software. Its completely automatron process controlled. We don’t have operators standing by, writing VIN to Owner accounts, anymore. Tesla don’t even have humans to handle the odd exception i.e. “dupe VIN” that’s a bug.
Apple certainly isnt barking at flippers who buy a secondhand iDevice. Its just not the scale of brand erosion that the arbitrage behind flipping suggests.
This is capitalism. WallSt build wealth on flipping IPO stock, leverages off arbitrage to make money. What’s going-on here is that people bought-in to the product, literally. Early adopters do this. Chinese are notorious buying product to INSTGRAM then flip it! People are so different. Media has driven purchasing. So every flipping isn’t eroding. It’s further affording the Cybertruck dream.
Sure there’s the odd duck whose circumstances change and the need that triggered the Cybertruck may not but the time CT has taken, beyond control, changed. That’s not the odd duck’s problem. But ducks like water and Cybertruck is what that duck likes, if for just flipping after buying. No harm.
I've had two people read this and it's really difficult. I think you need to add indentations between sentences that aren't related. This way people can know that you're changing your thought process. It's like you're throwing out an idea, then another, then a metaphor, then another idea. But you're joining them together in a paragraph like they are related. I hope this helps you in the future to communicate better.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
... This eat people can know that ...
There's an internet 'rule' that says every post correcting grammar will end up with a grammatical error.

Yeah, he does tend to post stream of consciousness stuff. It's a bit opaque at times.

-Crissa

There, see? I had a spelling error.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
There's an internet 'rule' that says every post correcting grammar will end up with a grammatical error.

Yeah, he does tend to post stream of consciousness stuff. It's a bit opaque at times.

-Crissa

Good call. I don't think I've yet had a single post online from my phone that didn't have a swipe typo. Except this, because I checked it three times.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

-Crissa

I often have some typo I notice after the fact.

Then I edit my comment and someone replies to the goofy hard to understand version mid-edit. It’s awkward.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Will I flip my CyberTruck? Depends on what you consider "flipping". I entered my reservation immediately after Elon said "You can go online and reserve one now." at the unveiling event. Given the timeline he layed out then, I'd be getting my CT about now, and outfitting it to haul my retirement RV. Hauling an RV was all the reason I needed to justify the Tri-motor and prevent the regret I often get from buying the sensible non-performance Model 3 I settled on.😠

My plan was to be looking for a used RV trailer at the end of this RVing season with a few months to repair/renovate and do some dry runs before retiring next year. Spend a year or two full-time RVing in the US, then vagabond the rest of my healthy life in Europe, SA and Africa.

The CT delay is throwing a wrench in my plans. I don't want to waste a whole lot of my early retirement (June) waiting for the truck of my dreams. The wife won't stand for putting off travel just to wait for a haul vehicle. If CT isn't ready earlier than about this time next year, I'll either have to buy a diesel pusher class A or dually pick-up truck 🤮, or get started on our overseas plans.

But I WILL purchase a Tri or Quad Cybertruck as soon as my RN is up, even if means flying in from italy/Portugal/? so I can post some 0-60 times and do a week or two 4-wheelin' in Moab. I am GOING to drive a CyberTruck for a bit. After that? who knows what I'll do with it. Release it to the RoboTaxi fleet? or turn it over to a manager to Turo it for me from afar? for some extra retirement cash? Or "flip" it for quick couple of thousand $? I don't know. I didn't reserve it to flip, but because of circumstances beyond my imagination I might someday look like one of those low-life scalpers. 🤷‍♂️

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An alternative to flipping.

List your Cybertruck on Turo and rent it out at a big premium for the first year or so.

Fair chance you could make a significant chunk of change renting the truck out while it is still super uncommon.

Then you get to enjoy your truck but also get a nice side income to cover the payments.

I wouldn’t do this with my Model Y because they‘ve become common enough Turo rates are pretty low, but if you can rent your truck for $200/ day, why not? Rent it for 5 days, drive it for free the rest of the month.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Will I flip my CyberTruck? Depends on what you consider "flipping". I entered my reservation immediately after Elon said "You can go online and reserve one now." at the unveiling event. Given the timeline he layed out then, I'd be getting my CT about now, and outfitting it to haul my retirement RV. Hauling an RV was all the reason I needed to justify the Tri-motor and prevent the regret I often get from buying the sensible non-performance Model 3 I settled on.😠

My plan was to be looking for a used RV trailer at the end of this RVing season with a few months to repair/renovate and do some dry runs before retiring next year. Spend a year or two full-time RVing in the US, then vagabond the rest of my healthy life in Europe, SA and Africa.

The CT delay is throwing a wrench in my plans. I don't want to waste a whole lot of my early retirement (June) waiting for the truck of my dreams. The wife won't stand for putting off travel just to wait for a haul vehicle. If CT isn't ready earlier than about this time next year, I'll either have to buy a diesel pusher class A or dually pick-up truck 🤮, or get started on our overseas plans.

But I WILL purchase a Tri or Quad Cybertruck as soon as my RN is up, even if means flying in from italy/Portugal/? so I can post some 0-60 times and do a week or two 4-wheelin' in Moab. I am GOING to drive a CyberTruck for a bit. After that? who knows what I'll do with it. Release it to the RoboTaxi fleet? or turn it over to a manager to Turo it for me from afar? for some extra retirement cash? Or "flip" it for quick couple of thousand $? I don't know. I didn't reserve it to flip, but because of circumstances beyond my imagination I might someday look like one of those low-life scalpers. 🤷‍♂️
Although it is slightly off topic, I agree with your points and suspect that many on this list would also. Two years was a long time for me to wait and, like you, I planned on this vehicle for retirement. Unlike you, I retired last fall, and this wait is killing me. And we have at least 2 more years from when the CT was supposed to be in our driveways, probably more. For me, though, there will be no sale of any kind.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
An alternative to flipping.

I wouldn’t do this with my Model Y because they‘ve become common enough Turo rates are pretty low, but if you can rent your truck for $200/ day, why not? Rent it for 5 days, drive it for free the rest of the month.

As a Robotaxi it can be controlled, but I fear renters will abuse it. Just takes 1 idiot.
Sponsored