Ford/GM/Superchargers... the ELEPHANT in the room......

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Other concerns aside... why is nobody talking about this?

Supercharging spaces are already pretty tight and it can be difficult to open doors all the way even in Model 3. Most Tesla users are pretty considerate about that, but given the general inability in the general public (my opinion) to handle simple parking in a lot, let alone BACKING into a spot.....

WE NEED THOSE PARKING SPACES to be about 1 foot wider on new installs!

:cool:
Sponsored

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Even with my other concerns posted in another thread, I must say I've not seen many crowded supercharger locations at all (so far) in my experience. In fact just this last Memorial Day weekend on a return road trip, was the first time (in four years) that I've ever seen a supercharger location full.

It was a convenience store location that had eight stalls. I backed into the only remaining open stall and watched two other cars pull up and wait about 5 to 10 minutes before others were leaving.

But, those stalls were fairly tight and I did have to be careful holding my door to make sure it did not ding the adjacent Tesla. I've had to be careful in tight spacing at a couple other locations too, because even though they were not 'full', with each car being considerate and taking one stall of a pair (they were V2 locations), sometimes you're the one that arrives later and must back in between two cars with the width spacing sometimes tight.

So I see the OP's point with stall width spacing being an issue with V3 stalls or V2 stalls, depending on how full the charging location is.

But, I'm also not in California or places where the stalls may be getting crowded much more quickly.

I do hope the spacing remains a prime consideration. I would be curious to know what the exact spacing is of stalls in the prefabricated sets (the ones with a transformer and four stalls each) that Tesla are making and putting at some locations. Anybody near any of those with a measuring tape? :)

- ÆCIII

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I have done only a few public charging to see how it works with different vendors with my Lightning and at every location, it was VERY tight. I would not be surprised if the adapter came with an extension cable but I still think it would be challenging if the location is full. I see using superchargers may be 5 times a year tops.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag

Supercharging spaces are already pretty tight and it can be difficult to open doors all the way even in Model 3. Most Tesla users are pretty considerate about that, but given the general inability in the general public (my opinion) to handle simple parking in a lot, let alone BACKING into a spot.....

With the lack of consideration for others that most people appear to have, I’m worried about all those Chevy Bolts taking up a 250kw supercharger spot for their 50kw (MAX) Bolt., for hours…

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With the lack of consideration for others that most people appear to have, I’m worried about all those Chevy Bolts taking up a 250kw supercharger spot for their 50kw (MAX) Bolt., for hours…
Well, a), if they're there for hours they'll get a huge idle fee; but b) if they're there charging for hours, there's something wrong with the charger. They only have a 65kWh nameplate pack and generally only quick-charge half of it.

-Crissa

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, a), if they're there for hours they'll get a huge idle fee; but b) if they're there charging for hours, there's something wrong with the charger. They only have a 65kWh nameplate pack and generally only quick-charge half of it.

-Crissa
Hyperbole mode was fully engaged.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag

I agree, they are pretty tight.

Tweet Elon.

Rockvillerich

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, and dual motor.
Occupation
Machine fabrication
Country flag
There aren't that many Bolts out there, the batteries are small, and they've been discontinued, so I don't worry that much about them. A Lightening with a large battery will probably take as long to charge. Yep, adding other vehicles will be a bit of a pain until the number of chargers becomes high enough to accommodate mass adoption. If I'm not mistaken there were similar issues with gas stations back in the early 1900's.

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
I agree, they are pretty tight.

Tweet Elon.
nah, I’ll just wait for Business Insider to pilfer the content of this thread and write a FUD article about it. 😈

Greshnab

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Software Arrchitect
Country flag
interesting since all use of tesla chargers requires the teesla app or api; i wonder if they have built and will start using a minimum requirement for a charger.. so for example you can only use a class 4 charger if your car supports it..

JRu

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Cherokee, BMW R1200R
Occupation
Gymja Warrior
Country flag
I read with Ford and now GM joining Tesla qualifies for a good amount of federal grant money, hopefully to expand the supercharger network and add more drive through stalls.

israndy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2012 Mitsubishi I-Miev, 2x 2007 Vectrix VX-1, 2000 Honda Insight, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired from IT
Country flag
Yeah, I think it's not only the money that will allow more supercharging infrastructure, it's the getting GM and Ford to stop trying to get legislators to make laws that work against Tesla

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag

The spots are the same as most other parking lots around here, (Costco excluded) but I agree, not because GM or Ford drivers are worse at backing in, heck, most pickup drivers back in BECAUSE normal spaces are too narrow to park nose in with a pickup. The reality is we will have larger vehicles at the charging stations soon (cybertruck included) and wider spaces make sense.

What really makes the most sense to me is lining them up like gas pumps with an aisle between (like a Costco gas station) so that trucks and SUVs pulling trailers can just pull up, but also people can maneuver around vehicles that are currently hooked up.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
What really makes the most sense to me is lining them up like gas pumps with an aisle between (like a Costco gas station) so that trucks and SUVs pulling trailers can just pull up, but also people can maneuver around vehicles that are currently hooked up.
Tesla Cybertruck Ford/GM/Superchargers... the ELEPHANT in the room...... 1686411066569

Like this... except instead of only 2 pumps per line, 4-8 per line in larger stations. because people will be at the charger longer than at a gas pump. This is the main reason to have that aisle down the middle, so no one ends up stuck behind someone, and it is easy to move away from a charger so someone else can pull up.

There are only a handful of Tesla stations big enough to consider this kind of setup right now, but as more big stations are built at highway stops, this makes more and more sense.

A good start though would be to have one or two pull through chargers designated for vehicles that are towing, and lots of regular parking space type spots for those who are not towing.
Sponsored