Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 7
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
well, $69…:) but yes, I’m glad to have gotten in this 2022

this is likely true for trucks delivered after 1/1/23, but not yet fully settled.

It is unclear yet, when the IRS rule-making is finalized, whether the manufacturers will thereafter respond with their pricing (and options) in ways that allow customers to mitigate (e.g., by breaking out trim levels in more granular ways, or expanding dealer-installed options off-contract)

If one gives Ford the benefit of the doubt, it was on one hand forced to increase and release the new trim level prices in advance of opening 2023 ordering, but on the other hand also forced to do so too far in advance of any IRS guidance (not likely to arrive until 12/31/22) to know what it really means. Sort of a pickle, on that view.

If instead one views Ford unfavorably, then Ford intentionally busted the new MSRP caps and in a battery bottleneck is happy to still sell every truck it manages to build.

Im not sure where I land
Has anyone ever shipped a Lightning before or any truck? I am shipping my lightning and my BMW X5 from California to Atlanta Georgia with a company National Car Shipping. They are charging me $3400. Has anyone done this before? https://longdistancetowing.com/what-is-the-cost-to-tow-a-car-from-california-to-georgia/
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Has anyone ever shipped a Lightning before or any truck? I am shipping my lightning and my BMW X5 from California to Atlanta Georgia with a company National Car Shipping. They are charging me $3400. Has anyone done this before? https://longdistancetowing.com/what-is-the-cost-to-tow-a-car-from-california-to-georgia/
what are your concerns, exactly? I have only one.

footprint-wise it’s no different from shipping any other F-150

Weight-wise, it’s heavier than an F150 but that’s irrelevant since the shipping company will account for weight in the shipping choices.

so as far as I can tell I think the biggest difference is this: EV’s with motors at both axle can’t be “towed” with wheels on ground like ICE vehicles. For the Lightning, it has a special emergency setting for being “towed” that basically releases the engines to a degree, which can’t be towed faster than 35mph and longer than 50miles.

Really, you want the Lightning towed only on a flatbed, with this “emergency” setting utilized for any moving of the vehicle not accomplished by driving. Basically, think of it as there being no “neutral xp

so to me, it seems like the #1 thing for you to consider when discussing with this shipping company is that they understand the Lightning cannot be put into “neutral” in any meaningful sense relevant to their towing/shipping maneuvers. It may require them understanding/using this “emergency” setting if they need the car to move in certain ways.

that said, I suspect these issues are variously common to other EVs, and that shipping companies are getting more familiar?