Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Ford promoting their EV with a video of a ridiculously overpowered Racecar. Check out the comments. Ford may be creating interest in EV's.
Sponsored

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
can't beat 'em, chase 'em.

I recall reading (here?) about how how Tesla has vision and executes ($$$/R&D) towards that vision and achieves it goals. Ford and other auto companies spend $$$ on marketing and businessperson BS.
Putting a stupid amount of power in a mustang can be done but it is like giving a UZI to a chimp.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

I recall reading (here?) about how how Tesla has vision and executes ($$$/R&D) towards that vision and achieves it goals. Ford and other auto companies spend $$$ on marketing and businessperson BS.
Putting a stupid amount of power in a mustang can be done but it is like giving a UZI to a chimp.
I AGREE! Legacy auto companies waste so much money trying to create hype. They have these huge marketing budgets that they think they have to spend to get sales. Tesla on the other hand, hold my beer, let me show you how to build cars that sell themselves!

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Sweet video! I’m shaking my head at that screeching sound they dubbed over the EV tho ?‍♂?‍♂haha who approved that?? Maybe they’re playing 4D chess and subtly trolling EV’s by feeding into the widely held belief that they sound like cheap RC cars?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag

Ford is trying to avoid GM's mistakes. GM made the Volt but marketed it meekly as a simple people mover. People yawned and that (arguably decent) EV has never sold in much volume compared to their other offerings. Ford is trying to hype the heck out of the Mustang Mach E to build up demand for EVs. They've already mostly stopped making all the cars they used to with few exceptions in order to gear towards an electric future. Well, that AND they wanted to concentrate on the more profitable markets like the pickup truck market. You can't really fault Ford for taking a different path than GM at this. They can't beat Tesla with autonomous driving and it would be foolish to try to get people excited about that because anyone really interested in autonomous driving already knows how far ahead Tesla is. So, downplaying that aspect (while working on it feverishly in the background) is important. Also, downplaying the charging network (or lack of a real one) is smart on their part. What Ford CAN do is appeal to people's sense of nostalgia AND the sense of performance. Everyone knows Teslas are quick. But that Mustang... Man, that's quite the looker and she just LOOKS fast. Now, they've got a ridiculous video of burnouts with a one-off Mustang that will drive people to buy the real deal. I mean, NASCAR fans buy the "car" that wins the races even though it has almost nothing in common with the race car.

If Ford gets more people moving towards an electric future, it's going to change the landscape.

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Sweet video! I’m shaking my head at that screeching sound they dubbed over the EV tho ?‍♂?‍♂haha who approved that?? Maybe they’re playing 4D chess and subtly trolling EV’s by feeding into the widely held belief that they sound like cheap RC cars?
[/QUOTE This video only appeals to those who really, really enjoy buying tires!

Kevinb2

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suzuki SX4 2009 sedan
Country flag
That sounds either like a dentist's drill, or those pitstop drills taking off lugnuts.

0:39

Last edited:

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
My guess is the Model S Plaid would smoke that Ford like a cheap cigar.

OP
OP
Sirfun

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My guess is the Model S Plaid would smoke that Ford like a cheap cigar.
It would probably be a close race, however it's interesting, all that Ford has shown with that custom-built non production vehicle is demonstrations of it burning through tires. AND NOT ANYTHING THAT CAN BE COMPARED. Like a timed quarter mile, or a timed lap of anywhere. That Ford is just about HYPE.
Sponsored