First Name
chalupacabre
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
Cramer says Ford F-150 electric versus the Aztek-like product(CT) that Musk has for pickups they're(Ford) going to run circles around it(Cybertruck)

Video here
https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick?jwsource=cl

https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick

: maybe Sandy Munro is a better truck guy. He looked into the Mc E HV cooling system and mach stroked out. Cooling system has a 10k maintenance schedule, wtf, over? Major fail point! I'll say it again, CT HAS STOLEN THE LIGHTNING'S THUNDER!

Advertisement

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
1. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that starts at height of the cabin (instead of lower bed rail) so you get more lockable covered storage space ( bed space + triangle shaped space above bed)?

2. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that can cover some vertically positioned items with heights taller than the F-150 bed sides (higer than bed rails but less than cabin)?

3. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that does not lose storage space to the rolled up cover?

4. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that when closed gives the vehicle a significantly more aerodynamic shape that will reduce energy usage during high-speed travel?

Finally is there any factory made rolling tonneau cover by Ford/GMC/Chevy/RAM??
The fact the the top of the truck is shaped like a triangle is why the cover gives more storage space, vertical space and the cover fits the already aerodynamic Cybertruck. 3/5 points you mentioned are about the Cybertruck itself, not the cover. If there was no built in cover for the Tesla, the aftermarket products would most likely still cover that same area because the truck is designed in a way that it would work perfectly, obviously with the cover in mind.

As for not losing storage space, do you believe that the cover magically disappears when it goes inside? The cover actually takes up a lot of space that is shown in the patent pictures that is under the rear seats and goes under the bed a little. That's a completely acceptable amount of space to lose for the cover but if the cover wasn't there, Tesla might have put under bed storage in that spot and maybe even put in storage under the rear seats.

You're last point isn't really all that important to me and probably not a necessity for a lot of people. When I buy stuff for my truck, I don't go to GMC and see if they have everything, I look around for the thing I want and buy the best one available, regardless of who makes it. Like I love the Tesla camping package that they displayed on their website, I think it's great. However, if another company builds one that I like more before I get my Cybertruck, I'll buy that one instead.

Red61224

First Name
Stumpy
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT3
Occupation
Amateur Lizard Wrestler
Country flag
Most people are traditionalists, the CT doesn't really appeal to traditionalists.
Is that a treatable diagnosis or listed classification in the 2021 PDR? I've run into a few in my time, sad.
Poor suckers, there's always hope.

Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
: maybe Sandy Munro is a better truck guy. He looked into the Mc E HV cooling system and mach stroked out. Cooling system has a 10k maintenance schedule, wtf, over? Major fail point! I'll say it again, CT HAS STOLEN THE LIGHTNING'S THUNDER!
I remember watching that on youtube. It was a completely valid argument against what ford did with the Mach E. The two biggest points was that the amount of points that have a good chance of leaking is way too high and the amount of hoses that they have going all around under the frunk is a lot of weight in liquid for an EV to be carrying around when they didn't need to do it that way.

I'm not an engineer so I won't say that it was an obvious mistake that Ford should have resolved, but I will say that if Sandy knows it's a problem at a first glance before even getting into it, it's probably something the Ford team should have thought more about.

I wouldn't consider anything about the Mach E to really reflect the Lightning. Ford has always been more about trucks than they have been about Cars. I'll be interested to see the break down on Sandy's channel when he gets a lightning, especially since they have such a big frunk, they might not have any extra room to work with for the Thermal System.

Red61224

First Name
Stumpy
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT3
Occupation
Amateur Lizard Wrestler
Country flag
Will that many people want an inferior product spec to spec ?
Sad to say but for some vehicle shoppers their main concern is what color it comes in and what will the neighbors think. They have their mind made up, don't confuse them with the facts or they will have a "come apart".

Red61224

First Name
Stumpy
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT3
Occupation
Amateur Lizard Wrestler
Country flag
I would not be surprised one bit if Ford (long term) sells more Lightnings than Tesla does CTs. Many (most) people aren't comfortable with new, they want the same old, same old, which Ford offers in spades.

Does that equal Ford 'crushing' Telsa? Haha, no.
You know we have to careful and not "move their cheese".

stangfish

First Name
Stan
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, tri-motor, FSD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The F-150 Lightning competition is the ICE F-150, not the Cybertruck. This is a problem for Ford because the ICE F-150 is much more profitable, so even if they had enough batteries for a high number of Lightnings, which they don't, they'd be cutting their own throat in selling them.

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
1. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that starts at height of the cabin (instead of lower bed rail) so you get more lockable covered storage space ( bed space + triangle shaped space above bed)?

2. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that can cover some vertically positioned items with heights taller than the F-150 bed sides (higer than bed rails but less than cabin)?

3. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that does not lose storage space to the rolled up cover?

4. Is there an aftermarket rolling tonneau cover that when closed gives the vehicle a significantly more aerodynamic shape that will reduce energy usage during high-speed travel?

Finally is there any factory made rolling tonneau cover by Ford/GMC/Chevy/RAM??

The fact the the top of the truck is shaped like a triangle is why the cover gives more storage space, vertical space and the cover fits the already aerodynamic Cybertruck. 3/5 points you mentioned are about the Cybertruck itself, not the cover.
Yes, Cybertruck has bed with integrated sail panels & rolling tonneau cover.

Aftermarket companies make many different height bed caps & covers for pickup truck bed.
No aftermarket or OEM had made a sail panel attachment rolling tonneau cover for old style pickup truck bed.

Looks like Cybertruck is pretty novel solution.

As for not losing storage space, do you believe that the cover magically disappears when it goes inside?
Never suggested Cybertruck cover magically disappears.

But what Cybertruck vault cover does NOT do is take up space in the truck bed.

Every aftermarket rolling covers I have seen takes up space in the bed.

Most aftermarket rolling covers I have seen also reduce the bed length available .

Ford F-150 & other old style ICE pickups do not have a "storage gear tunnel"

Rivian has "storage gear tunnel" but this discussion was Cybertruck vs Ford F-150 Lightning vs old style ICE pickups.

The fact the the top of the truck is shaped like a triangle is why the cover gives more storage space, vertical space and the cover fits the already aerodynamic Cybertruck. 3/5 points you mentioned are about the Cybertruck itself, not the cover. If there was no built in cover for the Tesla, the aftermarket products would most likely still cover that same area because the truck is designed in a way that it would work perfectly, obviously with the cover in mind.
I though we were discussing Cybertruck vs Ford F-150 & other old style pickups, Not Cybertruck vs Cybertruck aftermarket. Cybertruck does come with rolling cover so what is point of discussing aftermarket Cybertruck rolling cover.

You're last point isn't really all that important to me and probably not a necessity for a lot of people. When I buy stuff for my truck, I don't go to GMC and see if they have everything, I look around for the thing I want and buy the best one available, regardless of who makes it. Like I love the Tesla camping package that they displayed on their website, I think it's great. However, if another company builds one that I like more before I get my Cybertruck, I'll buy that one instead.
Myself and many others do look at factory options. Factory option might cost less in total (aftermarket installation can be expensive), more seamlessly integrated, longer warranty or avoid voiding warranty.

I will look at factory options and aftermarket but the more intrusive the modification will be to the vehicle the more advantages there might be to have a factory option.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This is something a lot of people seem to miss. Anything that is in the original purchase of the vehicle is warranted, plus the big deal is that when it's included in the purchase price, the cost of that item is spread out with the monthly payments. I purchased a vehicle last year with 0% financing. So when it's a high dollar item like a motorized Tanneau cover or camping options, this can be a huge benefit to have included with the purchase price.

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Is that a treatable diagnosis or listed classification in the 2021 PDR? I've run into a few in my time, sad.
Poor suckers, there's always hope.
I have to say this is one advantage of being in software. You learn to embrace and deal with change early in your career (and this includes re-thinking how you do things), or you find another career. :cool:

firsttruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag

This is something a lot of people seem to miss. Anything that is in the original purchase of the vehicle is warranted, plus the big deal is that when it's included in the purchase price, the cost of that item is spread out with the monthly payments. I purchased a vehicle last year with 0% financing. So when it's a high dollar item like a motorized Tanneau cover or camping options, this can be a huge benefit to have included with the purchase price.

Very good point by Sirfun.

Winch or snowplow would be other items that could be very important to get on the original loan. You might want those installed by factory or dealer before delivery.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I love the cover on the Cybertruck as much as anyone else. The only point I was making before is that it's not new. I consider it a better design than others and that it's great that it's built in, but a rolling cover isn't a new product.

There are lots of Benefits but there can also be some drawbacks to it as well. You ever have a bunch of sticky pine needles stuck to your truck? imagine going camping and have a bunch of sap on your cover, not something I would recommend rolling up until it's cleaned off. If something doesn't malfunction, whether it's covered by warranty or not, it's not something you can just fix yourself or replace. if it breaks after warranty, it's going to be more complicated to repair/replace than a standard cover. Also if it breaks, lets say it breaks while the vault is closed and you have something in the vault that has dementions that won't fit out in any way without the cover coming off.

I will opt for the the Cybertruck version any day of the week over a different cover, but there are numerous different types and all have their benefits and problems.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I remember watching that on youtube. It was a completely valid argument against what ford did with the Mach E. The two biggest points was that the amount of points that have a good chance of leaking is way too high and the amount of hoses that they have going all around under the frunk is a lot of weight in liquid for an EV to be carrying around when they didn't need to do it that way.

I'm not an engineer so I won't say that it was an obvious mistake that Ford should have resolved, but I will say that if Sandy knows it's a problem at a first glance before even getting into it, it's probably something the Ford team should have thought more about.

I wouldn't consider anything about the Mach E to really reflect the Lightning. Ford has always been more about trucks than they have been about Cars. I'll be interested to see the break down on Sandy's channel when he gets a lightning, especially since they have such a big frunk, they might not have any extra room to work with for the Thermal System.

Ha ha, after this thrashing from Monroe, Ford might be considering some last minute design changes. They have an entire year still to correct stuff like this for the F150-Lightning. It will be interesting to see if they ignore the words of wisdom.

CyberROD

Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired Vet
Country flag
So true, Ford and their same old same old....

Unlike Tesla and the CT, brand new interior that doesn't look like any other interior in their line.......oh wait.....

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
So true, Ford and their same old same old....

Unlike Tesla and the CT, brand new interior that doesn't look like any other interior in their line.......oh wait.....
Really not sure what you are trying to imply here. This isn't Ford doing same old ford stuff, especially if you are refering to the recent comments with the Mach-E. The issue with the thermal system that Ford has is something that is unique to the Mach-E. I would actually praise Ford on making good trucks.

Sure I could find issues with a Ford truck but their trucks are actually designed quite well and do what they are designed to do. Ford has always made pretty affordable trucks compared to other makes. If you wanted a work truck but didn't have a lot of money to spend, you could sacrifice some comfort and still get a work truck. On the other hand if you wanted to spend a little more, i've sat in some very comfortable trucks made by Ford that might not have been what I call luxury, but for a truck I was impressed.
So the same old same old Ford stuff is actually what I like the most about ford, the issue here is something they were doing new that just wasn't engineered as efficiently as it could be been. I'm not just speculating, I'm taking this information from Sandy who is a very respectable Engineer and has worked with Sandy before.

Now when we look at a Tesla interior, that's something that I see people always praising Tesla for. I always here in reviews how comfortable the seats are, how luxurious it feels to be in a Tesla. I think the interior of the Cybertruck is extremely nice. Also the interior of the Cybertruck isn't completely similar to other Tesla models. You've got an entirely different style roof, a middle seat instead of a center console, a simple modern dash design. If anything the only thing that really stikes me as being similar is just the seats.

Advertisement

Advertisement