First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
Sad to say but for some vehicle shoppers their main concern is what color it comes in and what will the neighbors think. They have their mind made up, don't confuse them with the facts or they will have a "come apart".
I've been softly trying to convince my fiance to go in on a model y instead of a CRV, which she has her heart set on, and this is one of her replies. They are as follows:
- it's too eye catching and wedbe the only one on our street
- it's too fancy compared to a CRV
- she wants a back up gas motor in case the battery does

Despite telling her the reasonable counter to all of these I can't even convince her to let me trade in my F350 early and then let her have it when I get my CT. She just has her heart set on a black CRV with low miles. I know once the CT is in our driveway and she sees how it works she'll probably come around, but between her love of Hondas and a bad experience with a soul EV she can't be swayed. Now extrapolate this to the far less reasonable masses...
Advertisement

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Ford F-150, 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
Now that we are going with Electric vehicles, I'm hoping to see more unique designs coming from companies. Someone could make a 2 person work truck that has no frunk with a 12' bed if they wanted to, which some companies might really want for commercial use.
With the small size of the new turbo-charged truck engines and compact transmissions, they could make a regular cab ICE truck with a 12 foot bed right now. And they would have a hard time selling more than a few. It would be a big money-loser.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not suggesting Ford will out-tech Tesla - no one will in the nearish future - but brand and tradition loyalty will allow Ford to sell a ton of lesser vehicles. Wait and see.

People buy crappy vehicles every day - just look at how many Jeeps and Chryslers you see daily. Both unbelievably garbage-quality vehicles.
They buy those crappy vehicles because they are relatively cheap. I highly doubt Ford can make the Lightning at a profit when selling them below $50K. And they can't sell hoards of $90K models because that's a very small market. I also don't think there is much demand for EV 1/2 tons with 230 mile range between $50K-$80K. In short, I think Ford has designed a truck that costs too much for what you get to sell many at a profit.

The prices they have announced are break-even or worse. So there is no incentive for them to make them in large quantities, they are simply dipping their toes into EV's and hoping to gain experience and not go bankrupt. And they can only sell as many as they are willing to make.

So, no, I don't think they will sell in high numbers. Because they won't make them in high numbers for many years (if ever). Mark my words.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
...and a bad experience with a soul EV she can't be swayed. Now extrapolate this to the far less reasonable masses...
A Soul EV is a compliance car, it's not at all comparable to a Tesla. It didn't have the range or recharging. It's nothing like a full EV except simplicity of use. It's more like my half-battery Zero which doesn't even have level 2 charging.

I don't know if a Model Y matches a CRV in use cases, as its cargo area will accept a less wide thing, a Model Y actually can carry more stuff and you never have to visit the gas station.

And Tesla batteries are not known for 'going' out/away/off. They 'go' in that they don't stop.

And that's just statistics.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
With the small size of the new turbo-charged truck engines and compact transmissions, they could make a regular cab ICE truck with a 12 foot bed right now. And they would have a hard time selling more than a few. It would be a big money-loser.
There is a huge market for work trucks and a lot of campanies buy trucks and then take the bed off for custom equipement that doesn't need a bed. I worked at an airport that had about 80 ford trucks where they took the beds off and coverted them into fuel trucks. A 12' bed would be good for those types of conversions, landscapers could definitely make use of a 12' bed, and there could easily be more markets overseas for a truck like that. I visited a lot of countries like Thailand, where some cities didn't have public busses but they had pickup trucks that you just jumped on the back of. a 2 person truck with a 12' bed wouldn't have a huge market in north america since it would only sit two people, but there are still uses here and in other parts of the world. It just isn't really a recreational vehicle.

txnewsboy

First Name
david
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Occupation
journalist
Country flag
All things being equal I would buy a Ford e-truck but they are not. Tesla is simply a better engineered product from the batteries to the motors. Looking inside the e-mustang proves that - it looks like it was designed to break down with unnecessary hoses and other maintenance needed nonsense. The maverick truck looks great also but it's not electric and I don't think Ford is going to make very many because it's so cheap and it will eat into their F-150 sales. Unless Ford is forced to - they won't make an all electric Maverick. However, they don't have the batteries for it. But the more people we can get into EV's now the better off we will all be.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
“Tesla makes shit happen”. …well….except for meeting expectations on product updates, unfortunately 😕
like the Y and Giga Shanghai? when you're breaking the mold even your best estimate can be wrong.... look at FSD and its camp of whiners. Excuse me but show me someone else making visual AI ? oh right there aren't any. Good luck at estimating when your AI will meet a certain level of intelligence.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Well... the Mach E didn't exactly 'crush' the Model Y or Model 3. I think the Ford might outsell the Cybertruck in some markets/segments. Lotsa 'redneck' truck owners that wouldn't buy a Toyota pickup even though it might be better than the domestic... those same people probably wouldn't get the 'weird' CT, either.
I'm waiting for some fool to call the CT 'Liberal' or 'leftist' and that is why they won't buy it. just wait.... it'll happen.

JJ_Tex

Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Plat, CT dual on order
Country flag
I'm not buying from some liberal California company :)

BTW - I would like to point out that as a Texas resident, it would be hard to buy a more American/Texan car than the CT since it is an American company, built in Texas, powered by energy produced in the state. No other truck maker can say that.
To get more American/Texan you would have to fly around on a bald eagle wearing a stetson, flying the American and Texas flags, that is powered by freedom and tacos.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Yamaha Stryker
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
A Soul EV is a compliance car, it's not at all comparable to a Tesla. It didn't have the range or recharging. It's nothing like a full EV except simplicity of use. It's more like my half-battery Zero which doesn't even have level 2 charging.

I don't know if a Model Y matches a CRV in use cases, as its cargo area will accept a less wide thing, a Model Y actually can carry more stuff and you never have to visit the gas station.

And Tesla batteries are not known for 'going' out/away/off. They 'go' in that they don't stop.

And that's just statistics.

-Crissa
You're preaching to the choir. My dream scenario is selling my F350, buying a model Y, using that until I get my CT, then selling her civic and having that be her mom car while I use my doorstop for work/cyberpunk space battles.

She won't even go for this plan when I mention that the amount of savings in fuel alone is more than we'd be paying for the loan. This year I've put about $725 a month into my gas tank alone, not even including maintenance costs.

Last edited:
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Cramer says Ford F-150 electric versus the Aztek-like product(CT) that Musk has for pickups they're(Ford) going to run circles around it(Cybertruck)

Video here
https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick?jwsource=cl

https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick
Cramer has not done his research. The CT beats the electric F-150 in EVERY metric. I do think the F-150 looks better than the CT, but I lean toward a more traditional design in trucks. I think the Achilles heel of the electric F-150 will be battery production. They do not have the production to support large sales numbers. People will be waiting 2 to 4 years to get their electric F-150. Ford will be in a 'world of hurt' according to Dr. Know It All (youtube) and I agree. They may even flirt with bankruptcy because of customers leaving due to frustration with delays.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cramer has not done his research. The CT beats the electric F-150 in EVERY metric. I do think the F-150 looks better than the CT, but I lean toward a more traditional design in trucks. I think the Achilles heel of the electric F-150 will be battery production. They do not have the production to support large sales numbers. People will be waiting 2 to 4 years to get their electric F-150. Ford will be in a 'world of hurt' according to Dr. Know It All (youtube) and I agree. They may even flirt with bankruptcy because of customers leaving due to frustration with delays.
Exactly, Ford will make sure to string along their customers that want to go electric by not making enough of them. That way, they can send them home in a new gas truck they will swear has green credentials. Ford's plan is to string out their most profitable gas sales as many years as possible. The Lightning is just for show.

uppadaandroid

First Name
Kishore
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Data Engineering Lead
Country flag
Cramer says Ford F-150 electric versus the Aztek-like product(CT) that Musk has for pickups they're(Ford) going to run circles around it(Cybertruck)

Video here
https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick?jwsource=cl

https://www.thestreet.com/jim-cramer/why-jim-cramer-likes-tesla-but-ford-is-his-pick
Irrespective of whether Ford will crush CT (highly unlikely considering battery cost and availability) or not, it's really good to see the big auto finally making up their minds to go electric. This will for sure force other big auto, to go EV too. I'm so excited that there will be more options to choose from on the market and EVs make absolute sense. Especially for the hardworking who rely heavily on trucks for their work. Less breakdowns, less maintenance and cheaper per mile cost means better savings and work done faster or more work done depending on how you look at it. Exactly what all the hardworking people deserve. More competition also means, more features for customers to choose from. I just wish it all happens fast and companies invest in better battery tech and make them cheaper fast. It's hard earned money for a lot of people after all.
Can't wait for Tesla to show the changes they made to CT. I have 2 orders and getting impatient. LOL

bfrench

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck (tri-motor on order)
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Personally, while I love the big frunk that Ford is offering with the Lightning, I would have prefered a smaller one with a 6.5' bed.
This is a very important point. Humans typically believe a bigger [frunk] is better. But, there's an inverse relationship between container size and functional storage. The larger a container becomes, the less capable it is able to work well as a place to carry, organize, and access its contents. If you have a cavernous frunk, you will almost certainly fill it. And when you need to access one item that's packed way in the back, you'll regret that you have to unpack a cavern this large.

Tesla is as much about minimalistic living as it is about energy.

Advertisement

Advertisement