g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
Rad, rare interview with the man himself!

- [Production Cybertruck] Maybe slightly smaller, a few percentages. But looks just like the one behind me (the OG)
- Favorite design is the one coming that we (customers) don't know about yet. Cybertruck is very special and has a huge potential
- They've spent a lot of time proving out the insane design of Cybertruck, exoskeleton specifically touched on.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
The moment he says that Cybertruck will be a little smaller than the demo.
Again, swear it'll be the size of a long bed tacoma.

I have one. With a few inches to spare it's garage fitting. Bed is 6' long.

If they do the midgate, they'll still "have a 6.5' bed"

59sjordan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 M3LR White on White, CyberTruck Reservation
Occupation
Controls Engineer
Country flag

- [Production Cybertruck] Maybe slightly smaller, a few percentages. But looks just like the one behind me (the OG)
- Favorite design is the one coming that we (customers) don't know about yet. Cybertruck is very special and has a huge potential
- They've spent a lot of time proving out the insane design of Cybertruck, exoskeleton specifically touched on.

When he says his favorite design is the one that is coming - that he can't talk about. (4 minute, 18 seconds into the video) I wonder if we will see that at Semi Launch?

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Here's where he talks about the CT...

Interviewer: Talk about the Cybertruck design. How did this design come to be?
Franz: Ha. The CT is one of these rare moments where, in a way, form follows function. A lot of times we put form in front of the function especially in the automotive world and it's really tough to mix the two. But the CT is really born out of the idea of a different way of manufacturing to put the toughness on the outside. So, we really wanted to use stainless steel as a material, so the hardest part of the vehicle is on the outside and not the delicate paint.
So, it felt right for a truck that's used like a Swiss army knife in any kind of environment. It has to be tough. Stainless steel is really tough to form especially when you make it bullet proof or thicker to withstand impacts and not get damaged. And, so, we really looked at new ways of manufacturing it. You can only brake form and form it in one direction. You can't do compound curves or things with the thickness of the stainless steel we are using. It really led us to a design that was planar or simplistic and was also a chance to break the paradigm of what pickup trucks have been for the last 50 or 60 years. The same. Kind of a three-box shape. And we just thought from an aerodynamic perspective having a covered back and sloping roof would also be helpful and oddly enough, it may not look it, but the Cybertruck is an incredibly aerodynamic design.

He goes on to talk about how his favorite design is in something coming that he can't talk about. But, he likes the Cybertruck.

The window smashing thing was not expected. He threw the ball at the window multiple times backstage, and it didn't break. At the end of the day, the reveal ended up being something really special.

Interviewer: How different will the production Cybertruck be from this vehicle behind you (Peterson Museum) and also what's taking so long getting it off the production line?

Franz: There's a lot of new things in CY. When we are reinventing a product, sometimes we have to go through these processes to prove it out. We had this idea that making an exoskeleton vehicle could work so we've been using that time to make sure that is working. So, the CT will look, for all intents and purposes, just like the one behind us. Maybe slightly smaller... a few percentages, but in general this is what the truck will look like. ... He goes on about EVs for a while

But that's basically it.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Again, swear it'll be the size of a long bed tacoma.

I have one. With a few inches to spare it's garage fitting. Bed is 6' long.

If they do the midgate, they'll still "have a 6.5' bed"
Will be the size of an F-150 crew cab with 5.5ft bed. The OG prototype right behind him is bigger than that.

audi2tesla

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3; 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
He is not an engineer
He is a art photographer
He is talking about engineering issues which he has no experience

Education:

ArtCenter College of Design, Syracuse University,

School of Art - College of Visual and Performing Arts
Degree Programs · ‎

Studio Arts (M.F.A.) ·
Studio Arts (B.F.A.) · ‎
Illustration (B.F.A.)

This is not even Bachelor of Arts (4 years) or Bachelor of Science (4-5 years) or Master's (6 years) or Doctorate degree (8 years)
It is an art school
Nice school but
Syracuse is school of visual and performing arts.
...and?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

I liked it. No 'new' information but listening to Franz is a treat, as you say.

OP
OP
greggertruck

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
Country flag
When he says his favorite design is the one that is coming - that he can't talk about. (4 minute, 18 seconds into the video) I wonder if we will see that at Semi Launch?
Mostly doubt any new products til after Cybertruck, or at least until next summer. There would be horrible optics if they showcased new products at all right now.

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
He is not an engineer
He is a art photographer
He is talking about engineering issues which he has no experience

Education:

ArtCenter College of Design, Syracuse University,

School of Art - College of Visual and Performing Arts
Degree Programs · ‎

Studio Arts (M.F.A.) ·
Studio Arts (B.F.A.) · ‎
Illustration (B.F.A.)

This is not even Bachelor of Arts (4 years) or Bachelor of Science (4-5 years) or Master's (6 years) or Doctorate degree (8 years)
It is an art school
Nice school but
Syracuse is school of visual and performing arts.
Education is great but real world experience is another (better imo) form of education.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I don't know what it will be, but I already want it. :)

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
I don't know what it will be, but I already want it. :)
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same but debating whether I should spend the extra $ for the optional upgraded version of it. Hopefully it will be a software unlock.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Education is great but real world experience is another (better imo) form of education.
Even NASA hires artists. The team needs to know how to present and create a coherent vision, how to explain it, and how to prepare it.

Engineering education should include art, but sadly doesn't anymore. But it's important for a finished product.

-Crissa
Sponsored