Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected?

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
I installed a very slim license plate frame on the front plate holder that comes with CT. And found that it is blocking the front camera in the left lower corner.

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 61yN4Vsv6FL._AC_SL1500_

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 20240508140052

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 20240508140033

The license plate itself is also blocking a little bit without the frame. I didn't notice that before the frame installed. The photo below is without the frame, showing a dark triangle area behind the wash camera button.

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 20240508140105

I'm wondering how this will affect auto pilot :unsure:.

Now I'm looking for an after market front license plate holder to avoid this.

Update:

Tested CyberBandit front license plate mount. A plate mounted in the middle without a frame also block the camera.

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 20240510142354

Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? 20240510142403

But it can be easily mounted off-center all over the front bumper. So this will be my solution for now.

Update:

Just heard that SnapPlate is not blocking the front camera.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
OP
OP

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
This photo seems to be nonsensically edited. I have no idea what you're showing.
It is a close up showing the dark triangle area behind the wash camera button.

...This looks terrible, but why hasn't anyone else noticed it before now? Is your camera mounted differently? Is it inset a little bit, maybe?
I have no idea. I never touched the camera.

RollingRefrigerator

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundation AWD CT, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Simple fix - remove the whole damn thing. Yes, I know, CA law requires a front plate, but I've been driving 4 different cars over the last 20 years in CA without a front plate, and have never been pulled over for it. I've been pulled over for other things multiple times, and still didn't get any flack about not having a front plate or my illegal tint. But yes these were all "nice" cars so I am surely betting the benefit of any profiling the cops are doing. YMMV!

In my opinion they totally throw off the look of a car, and might slightly affect aerodynamic efficiency as well, so I say no to front plates.

getsometom

Site Sponsor
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
makerspacedude.etsy.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
a dude
Country flag
A few things you can check.

1. Verify your front camera is positioned correctly with Tesla.
2. Check the dimensions of your license plate frame? Plates in the US are 12"x6", plate frames are naturally a tad bigger than license plates to cover the edges. Some frames are bigger than others. The ones I use are 12.3" x 6.5"
3. Verify the plate bracket backing is positioned correctly during install and there is no slack or space between the bracket backing and the front bumper. The closer you can get the entire thing mounted to the bumper, the better it will be for your camera's visibility.

What does the camera image look like without a plate frame? If your camera sees the plate without a frame, Tesla needs to adjust the camera to allow full visibility as any frame will further hinder visibility.

Last edited:

gaubong053

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MXP, Cybertruck AWD FS.
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
I am seeing the same thing. As the front camera has very wide angle so very small block would not affect FSD if it ever uses the camera.
Tesla Cybertruck Front license plate blocks the front camera. Will autopilot / FSD be affected? IMG_5640

Last edited:

Fedork

First Name
Fedor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Software engineer
Country flag
I installed a very slim license plate frame on the front plate holder that comes with CT. And found that it is blocking the front camera in the left lower corner.

61yN4Vsv6FL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20240508140052.jpg

20240508140033.jpg

The license plate itself is also blocking a little bit without the frame. I didn't notice that before the frame installed. The photo below is without the frame, showing a dark triangle area behind the wash camera button.

20240508140105.jpg

I'm wondering how this will affect auto pilot :unsure:.

Now I'm looking for an after market front license plate holder to avoid this.
I put on the front licence plate without any frame and I noticed the camera blockage as well. I assume this is just an oversight on Tesla part. Hopefully does not affect autopilot, but is somewhat annoying. Maybe they can fix it by providing a different mount? Not sure if that is possible, maybe thinner one would work?

WRT the comments about not mounting front plates at all - I considered it, but I have yellow-on-black custom plates and they look really nice on CT, so no loss there

OP
OP

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
Update:

Tested CyberBandit front license plate mount. A plate mounted in the middle without a frame also block the camera.

20240510142354.jpg

20240510142403.jpg

But it can be easily mounted off-center all over the front bumper. So this will be my solution for now.
Updated.

OP
OP

wheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MYLR, 2024 CTAWD
Country flag
Just learnt that SnapPlate is not blocking the front camera.👍

Sponsored