Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
So yesterday was another day of driving over a mountain pass. This time I was stuck behind some slow vehicles for a while and ended up passing a bunch of them. Got me thinking though.

Has anyone seen FSD videos of it crossing into the oncoming lane to pass a slow vehicle? Most of the road I drove was a 2 lane highway (1 lane each direction) with a double yellow divided center line. But since we are allowed to pass when safe and the yellow line is dotted on my side, I was able to pass. I’ve seen a number of FSD videos where the driver describes FSD as being somewhat aggressive. So I’m wondering what it will do when encountering a less than aggressive vehicle in its lane.

Does it try to pass? Does it know to get back in the lane before the line goes back to solid? Can it pass more than 1 vehicle at a time? Does it avoid passing if there are intersections or train tracks etc up ahead?

Or in the off chance that a number of more aggressive vehicles line up behind it, does it know to pull over and let them pass? Here in Washington, you are required to pull off and let cars pass if 5 or more back up behind you.

Very curious about these kind of situations.
Sponsored

Hunter Sawyer

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Construction Worker
Country flag
Navigate on autopilot does this iirc

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I don't think it is currently authorized to cross into oncoming lanes, except at low speed. FSD is sorta near-sighted, anyhow.

-Crissa

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Navigate on autopilot does this iirc
With navigate on autopilot you can adjust the settings to make it more aggressive or less aggressive in terms of changing lanes on a multi-lane highway to over-take vehicles moving slower than your set speed. But it won't cross into on-coming lanes on a non-divided highway to overtake. At slow speeds it will enter opposing lanes to get around cars blocking it's way but I don't think even FSD will pass at highways speeds in on-coming lanes. Yet. I'm sure it will in time.

T3slaDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, RWD Cybertruck
Country flag
I've attempted this myself on my M3 with EAP, and can confirm it will not cross the yellow dotted line to pass traffic. Not on its own, and not even when you manually trigger the lane change with the blinker. It will just say Auto Lane Change Unavailable.

Essentially, right now you just have to manually take over, pass traffic with the dotted yellow, and then put AP back on AFTER you're back in your correct lane.

It seems too hazardous of a situation for Tesla to program. What about times where the dotted yellow is too short of a length before turning back into solid yellow, or going around a turn or hill with blind spots to oncoming traffic when dotted yellow shouldn't exist in the first place but does?

Tesla's approach might be "tough luck, you're going to be stuck behind the slow semi uphill around a turn on a single lane with dotted yellow going around a blind side bend, because we'd rather save you from catastrophe vs getting you there 5 minutes earlier."

Glass half full: once FSD vehicles and EV semis are a standard practice in life, you won't have to worry nearly as much about these types of situations! Everyone will be zipping up, down, and all around everywhere with their vehicles and day-to-day traffic will be much less congested! ?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It seems too hazardous of a situation for Tesla to program. What about times where the dotted yellow is too short of a length before turning back into solid yellow, or going around a turn or hill with blind spots to oncoming traffic when dotted yellow shouldn't exist in the first place but does?
Eventually the AI won't be relatively nearsighted and will be able to identify hills and curves, 'imagining' the shape of the road it sees in three dimensions, and using its sensors to know the exact distance to oncoming traffic or blind spots. So it won't matter if the dotted yellow doesn't tell it where the blind spots are... It will calculate the time it needs to surpass the traffic and only instigate when it knows it has time. It will know the number of feet, the time to accelerate, the amount of power it has available, the slope of the road and the air pressure it's pushing against and do it exactly to the millisecond.

But that's really far in the future.

-Crissa

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Eventually the AI won't be relatively nearsighted and will be able to identify hills and curves, 'imagining' the shape of the road it sees in three dimensions, and using its sensors to know the exact distance to oncoming traffic or blind spots. So it won't matter if the dotted yellow doesn't tell it where the blind spots are... It will calculate the time it needs to surpass the traffic and only instigate when it knows it has time. It will know the number of feet, the time to accelerate, the amount of power it has available, the slope of the road and the air pressure it's pushing against and do it exactly to the millisecond.

But that's really far in the future.

-Crissa
Funny, this made me think back to many years ago going on a caravan with 3 vehicles in Baja. Back then, you could be driving down the road and not have a car come the other way for 15 minutes most of the time. We had CB radios to communicate and when one guy would pass, he would give the rest of us road condition reports out ahead. We would know that it was all clear ahead and pass at will on mountain roads, even with blind curves. We had a lot of fun with it, knowing the people we were passing thought we were idiots! Maybe some day Tesla's could communicate with each other and give road condition reports. But I can't imagine crazy stuff like passing on blind curves like us crazy gringos back 35 years ago. ?
Edit: Here's a photo of my 82 Subaru in Baja back then.

Tesla Cybertruck FSD and passing on highway 82subi

Last edited:

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
I don’t think you will need to worry about FSD working well for a long time. I mean a very long time.

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
It works pretty well now. It does better than some human drivers.

-Crissa
Tesla‘s idea of FSD is .. what 2.0?

There is a long way to go before they get to 5.0, if ever.

I’m not a believer. Heck my 2017 top of the line Model S can’t even drive down the freeway without all kinds of glitches, dark screens and fantom breaking issues. Sorry when I hear that people are all in on FSD, I just have to crack up.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...my 2017 top of the line Model S can’t even drive down the freeway without all kinds of glitches, dark screens and fantom breaking issues. Sorry when I hear that people are all in on FSD, I just have to crack up.
You're comparing your four year old car with an outstanding recall issue to what's coming off the line today?

Weird.

-Crissa

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
You're comparing your four year old car with an outstanding recall issue to what's coming off the line today?

Weird.

-Crissa
Tell that to the thousand of people with worse problems than mine.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tell that to the thousand of people with worse problems than mine.
Worse?

The MMC has been recalled. None of the cars buil in the last several years has this issue. And you're using it as an example of what, exactly? It doesn't even affect the driving software or hardware.

-Crissa

TessP100D

Banned
Banned
First Name
Faris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 P100D
Country flag
Worse?

The MMC has been recalled. None of the cars buil in the last several years has this issue. And you're using it as an example of what, exactly? It doesn't even affect the driving software or hardware.

-Crissa
I understand your statement, but it also makes me feel that you do not own a Tesla. They are safety driven when the screen is black.
Sponsored