First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FSD price increase coming.

Congrats to all who locked in $6k or $7k. I’m in a weird boat where I didn’t lock it on my initial order but locked it in on a second order much later for $10k.

(thinking about upgrading my Model Y to EAP since that’s the only features I really find
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
So glad I have no intention of ever getting this crap. Keeps going up.. keeps remaining in Beta!
I’m on the fence. There has been a ton of progress, but you still have to poke the wheel every 20 seconds or so which means it’s useless. For the truly tedious driving, Autopilot does everything I need. What I’d want FSD for is still out of reach.

If I can’t pass out in my car/ truck and rely on it getting me safely home, FSD is incomplete and essentially a toy. I have trouble paying for that and it’s not clear how long after FSD is “ready”, that’ll be possible.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
15k is bonkers.
How much does it cost to have a designated driver on call? Or for a driver for a visually impaired person? Or for the ability to safely watch movies while you “Drive”?

$15k is dirt cheap for fully functioning FSD. But until it’s fully functional, it’s way too much. It needs to be at a level where you climb in, type an Address, and let it get you there.

It’s a weird uncanny valley right now. Good enough where it’s mind-bendingly cool, but not good enough where it’s super useful.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
All I want is parking assist. Cause I hate parking. But I like driving. So I'll drive.
EAP has all the fully functioning parts of FSD including parking assist.

I think that’s a reasonable compromise at this point since everything you buy is actually there.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
It's like they don't want people to get FSD.

For something that isn't really ready for primetime you'd figure they would have frozen the price long ago. I'd be pissed if I paid for FSD, owned the car, traded it, and not have had, a feature I paid 10%-15% of the value of the car for.

They're flush with cash, and Musk even stated that there's no problem they're working on at Tesla that would benefit from more cash being thrown at it. So, why keep raising the price?

The only reason I can think of is that they may be trying to price out people who would do stupid stuff with FSD because it is so expensive you don't want to risk getting booted off. But there are already hundreds of thousands of jackasses with it. Maybe they're stuffing their insurance coiffers?

I don't know but $15k for something that's 80% baked... Nope.

I did get EAP on my MY order. FSD is nowhere near ready for DC streets, so FSD has minimal use to me.

Last edited:

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
the more I think about it, the more it seems a waste.
If it was like a lifetime subscription, i would get it.

I wanted it in hopes of putting the truck on their eventual self driving taxi service.
But when that comes, 5+ years? the new, little car designed for the network will probably be coming out.

people will be buying those on mass to put exclusively on the network

I enjoy driving,
so other then making money with it, or it being a fun thing to test out and marvel at, I dont really see a good reason to spend big money on it.

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
By raising the price they make people that paid $12k for almost there FSD feel better. I think Tesla will actually honor fsd pricing on reservations. It doesn't really cost them much and will take the sting out of the other price adjustment.

My reservation was for $8k but unless fsd is level 4 at time of purchase I will probably opt for EAP for $6k. Unless I am guaranteed 8 plus years of FSD.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have FSD. I drove in Nebraska for the first time ever last month. I put it on FSD to my destination and had a revelation. It's good enough that if I cut my hand off I would feel comfortable with FSD driving me to the hospital. It's not good enough that I would feel comfortable with it driving while I'm holding an open-top hot coffee.

Last year people said it is like a 16 year old. I think it's now at a 23 year old. In a year it will be like a 30 year old but probably a lot better than most drivers in most situations.

And I know that everyone who reads this is a better than average driver and has been driving perfectly for forever. I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the boneheads who cause traffic every single day in every major city.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I have FSD. I drove in Nebraska for the first time ever last month. I put it on FSD to my destination and had a revelation. It's good enough that if I cut my hand off I would feel comfortable with it driving me to the hospital. It's not good enough that I would feel comfortable with it driving while I'm holding an open top hot coffee.

Last year people said it is like a 16 year old. I think it's now at a 23 year old. I'm a year it will be like a 30 year old but probably a lot better than most drivers in most situations.

And I know that everyone who reads this is a better than average driver and had been driving forever perfectly. I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about the boneheads who cause traffic every single day in every major city.
FSD means I can stop almost all domestic flying. Pop in the driver seat, FSD and sleep. Wake up in 3 hours, charge, go back to sleep, repeat.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
not gonna lie, that sounds horrible Ogre. unless theres a dedicated bed.
AND fsd is 100% perfect

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
not gonna lie, that sounds horrible Ogre. unless theres a dedicated bed.
AND fsd is 100% perfect
Well flying is pretty horrible, particularly post 9/11. You spend 2 hours waiting to get on a plane, screw around with parking or have someone drop you off. Spend 3+ hours crammed into an uncomfortable tin can with stinky rude people. Get to the destination spend 45 minutes screwing with getting luggage, another half hour renting a car, then drive 45 minutes to get to your destination.

If you have bikes you pay even more, can’t find a decent rental, have to assemble your bike when you get there…

Ive slept in the passenger seat of a car many times.