Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SUBR-'14 MAZ CX9-'12 MAX-6 '17 HNDA '17 CYBER TRK
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla's camera is tucked away to avoid fouling. Mine on my Mazda is right above the license plate (tho I need to put it on the fin) and it doesn't ever get that bad x-x

-Crissa
I've got 2 Mazdas with cameras great additions.
1 Honda with even better cameras. like one that shows your right turn blind spot.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '20 MY, '24(?)CT, Maveric hybrid ordered
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Planner
Country flag
Just got FSD Beta yesterday and it was pretty neat. We had one instance where it went kind of nuts getting out of the driveway swinging the steering wheel back and forth... Maybe calibrating itself? Anyway, I set the destination to a local custard place and had zero interventions. It pulls out smartly and does fine. Oh, once, it slowed down 10 mph to 35 in a 45 for a ghost to cross, I suppose. Anyway, it was neat. It. Sees. Everything. Well, the renders are much better and deeper in field of view. It was neat.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck MY Prius Merc VW
Country flag
Was it "neat" enough to clean the car by driving through a car wash? ;) ;)

(Just jealous!)

LoneWolfO6

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Occupation
Retired Military
Country flag
Agreed. That all makes sense in theory.

Question. Camera doesn't see anything in front of you. Radar sees a large object. Do you trust the camera and drive through it, or trust the radar and hit the brakes?
So, it would be nice to have radar and cameras when human visibility is limited and the Tesla agrees?! Had it in autopilot and the car started braking due it couldn’t see with only cameras?!

7065B8BD-8587-4D43-83F2-0982AA734F68.jpeg

4469BCCA-2D66-4960-BD8A-FA4F3FB1783D.jpeg

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '20 MY, '24(?)CT, Maveric hybrid ordered
Occupation
Nuclear Operations Planner
Country flag
It kind of makes sense that when it's too dangerous to drive with limited visibility, FSD would ALSO have it tough. I mean, we all want to be able to keep plowing along with some kind of super vision in our Teslas but realistically, do we WANT to plow along with people who also can't see and are just hoping they are staying in their lane?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Radar as we have it now, can't see line markings. It can barely see shapes. It can't see colored paint or lights at all.

So even with radar, you'd have to slow down.

And, TyPope gave another good reason: Other people and animals would have limited visibility and will be stumbling around out there. They won't see us, and may make decisions based on assuming we aren't there, which will make for path of travel violations.

-Crissa

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
I drive FSD Beta every day in my Model Y.

As others have said, the Beta just mentions that it's performance may be degraded. That's the worst I've seen during heavy rain from the Beta. Nav on Autopilot just disables but keeps lane centering and follow distance.

I have had the Autopilot hand over control to me (I was on city streets, so not really Autopilot's domain), it wasn't raining, just something caused it to say "Nope!", it goes nuts, flashing warnings etc. It's very rare though. I don't recall the Beta ever doing that.

I like Tesla's iterative approach. If they can make FSD work to better than human level in perfect weather, and about human, or say slightly better than human in poor weather then that's a huge win. To drive super human in poor weather it may take additional sensors or maybe better cameras... not sure, but I can see how that's not a priority right now.

I think FSD Beta is super impressive, but I'm glad I subscribed and didn't purchase outright. If they let you move your purchase to a new vehicle, then maybe I would have purchased.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We also have to remember that the current FSD and Autopilot are supposed to drive in a way the human can see and react to. That means not overdriving its safety driver.

But the rest of my point stands for later, too.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Cybertruck Hawaii

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I agree. I think the main reason Tesla doesn’t want to include radar is cost.
😊Money is always the last word in any project. You can bet that even the Cybertruck would have been for sale already if money wasn’t an impediment. Not many people are willing to pay a million dollars for a Cybertruck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
😊Money is always the last word in any project. You can bet that even the Cybertruck would have been for sale already if money wasn’t an impediment. Not many people are willing to pay a million dollars for a Cybertruck.
That's why they eliminated radar.

Because it couldn't tell the difference between a sign and a truck across the road.

So no, you don't want radar to have you creep along. You're still a sitting duck.

-Crissa
that is not what they said. They said it was because the radar and cameras could produce conflicting results. And to address someone else’s comments it wasn’t about cost for the same reason.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
that is not what they said. They said it was because the radar and cameras could produce conflicting results. And to address someone else’s comments it wasn’t about cost for the same reason.
How is what I said not similar, but of course, my own opinion?

-Crissa

Cybertruck Hawaii

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
😊It is also important to only add a slightly advanced technology as to sustain an appetite for more demand in the future. Otherwise, a company may put themselves out of business. Planned obsolescence is the key to any business.

CYBERBACKPACK