A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
What the option gets you is the promise that if FSD is ever developed to the point where regulatory bodies permit its use you won't have to pay anything more than the $7000 you already shelled out for it at delivery. Right now it gets you some bells and whistles that sort of work sometimes. Post #5 above enumerates these and the sort of work sometimes comment applies, in my experience, to each. European regulators have forced Tesla to disable some of these for operation on their roads. I sometimes think that US regulators should do the same but if accidents aren't occurring as a result of their use I guess I am OK with their continued use. I've had to abort lane changes that, while they might not have caused an accident would certainly have pissed off the drivers of overtaking vehicles and I've had to take control on exit ramps to prevent driving into a row of traffic cones but I do have to say that at the end of a long drive where traffic density is low I am more rested than I would be without these features. In heavy traffic I tend to sit there white knuckled worrying that the AI is going to do something that a prudent driver wouldn't.

The implication is that some day you will pick up your cell phone, push a button and go to your front door at which the car will present itself. You will get into the back seat and the car will take you to wherever you want to go without any intervention on your part so that you can nap, read a book, work or whatever. This isn't going to happen in my lifetime and I doubt it will happen in the lifetimes of most of you younger guys either.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3, LR AWD Cybertruck on order, 2020 Suburu Outback XT Limited
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What the option gets you is the promise that if FSD is ever developed to the point where regulatory bodies permit its use you won't have to pay anything more than the $7000 you already shelled out for it at delivery. Right now it gets you some bells and whistles that sort of work sometimes. Post #5 above enumerates these and the sort of work sometimes comment applies, in my experience, to each.

The implication is that some day you will pick up your cell phone, push a button and go to your front door at which the car will present itself. You will get into the back seat and the car will take you to wherever you want to go without any intervention on your part so that you can nap, read a book, work or whatever. This isn't going to happen in my lifetime and I doubt it will happen in the lifetimes of most of you younger guys either.
This is very likely true (the future you describe), but the debate usually centers around timing and if you will have the car you purchased FSD for, when that future eventually arrives. Personally, I don't believe my FSD/HW3 equipt Model 3 will ever get past L3 capability. I'm okay with that, but for similar reasons, I passed on the $7000 loan to Tesla on the Cybertruck pre-order. Equally as important, the FSD you put $7000 down on DOES NOT transfer to future Tesla's you may buy down the road (as yours ages out, gets totaled, traded, etc.)

Schmeegz

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
those with it already, can the auto park detect handicap spots in a parking lot?

also half of my work lot is for women parking, can i tell it NOT to park in that section if i were to drop myself off at the door? lol

Revelation

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Res: Rivian R1T, Res: Tesla Cybertruck Tri-Motor + FSD
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
This is very likely true (the future you describe), but the debate usually centers around timing and if you will have the car you purchased FSD for, when that future eventually arrives. Personally, I don't believe my FSD/HW3 equipt Model 3 will ever get past L3 capability. I'm okay with that, but for similar reasons, I passed on the $7000 loan to Tesla on the Cybertruck pre-order. Equally as important, the FSD you put $7000 down on DOES NOT transfer to future Tesla's you may buy down the road (as yours ages out, gets totaled, traded, etc.)
All the FSD option is is locking in the price with the pre-order. You do not put $7k down today; thus there is no "loan" as you call it to Tesla. When you go to actually order your Cybertruck you can choose to buy it for $7k or not at that time. If you did not lock in the price, your only option will be whatever price FSD is at the time.

In two years time FSD should be "out" in some form or fashion, especially if Elon thinks they will have it done by the end of 2020.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
those with it already, can the auto park detect handicap spots in a parking lot?
In my experience it doesn't detect parking spots of any kind most of the time.

Devix

First Name
Fabrizio
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance
Country flag
FSD hardware comes on every car produced. You can choose to activate it or not.
Elon stated that the price will increase overtime, so my advise is to check the box in the pre-order so the price il locked. If in the future you donā€™t want it, you just wonā€™t buy it, but maybe at that time it will cost 10.000

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
All the FSD option is is locking in the price with the pre-order. You do not put $7k down today; thus there is no "loan" as you call it to Tesla. When you go to actually order your Cybertruck you can choose to buy it for $7k or not at that time. If you did not lock in the price, your only option will be whatever price FSD is at the time.

In two years time FSD should be "out" in some form or fashion, especially if Elon thinks they will have it done by the end of 2020.
ā€œShould be,ā€ being the operative words. I purchased FSD in June when I bought my 3. That is a loan for a promise, one not yet filled.

Kurious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 4x4
Occupation
Organics farming
Country flag
How would FSD handle snow and ice on roads? I guess if conditions are bad enough the roads will be closed but what about slightly less extremes?

Would it indicate that the driver should take control?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
FSD hardware comes on every car produced. You can choose to activate it or not.
Elon stated that the price will increase overtime, so my advise is to check the box in the pre-order so the price il locked. If in the future you donā€™t want it, you just wonā€™t buy it, but maybe at that time it will cost 10.000
Or $3000. In the past, FSD prices have gone both up and down.

scottysize

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
I ordered FSD for 1 reason. I plan on having this truck as my retirement truck. I won't be getting any other vehicle after this one. Eventually I am sure I'll reach a point where I shouldn't be driving and I do not have kids to bother, so I will have this truck that can drive me around in my old age and still be able to go to Wal-Mart and hope on the scooter to do my shopping.

I got FSD on my Model 3, because my plan is to put it on the Tesla Uber network once Autonomous driving is approved.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Would it indicate that the driver should take control?
I ran into a real pea souper fog near Scranton, Pa a little over an month ago and that is indeed what it did when it couldn't see the lane delineation lines. The radar was able to see vehicles in front though.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"
"Hope this helps! This will explain the difference between Auto Pilot and Full Self Drive
https://www.tesla.com/support/autopilot"

My god, I just read this article, and the current autopilot system seems incredibly cludgy! So many parsed out options! I suppose they're easy to get used to, but by the time I get my CT, I hope I can speak commands to it!!! KISS...

parapyropig

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 FJ Cruiser NSSE, Cybertruck trimotor
Occupation
parapyropig
Country flag
FSD is inevitable.

The ratio of human-caused accidents per mile is one in every 460,000 miles versus crashes on auto pilot as one in 2,400,000 miles.

I look forward to it. As I age, Iā€™m not gonna be getting any better as a driver. FSD will allow my wife and I our independence way past the time we can safely operate a motor vehicle consistently.

Cyber1qhorsey

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FORD Expedition, Escape, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Real time voice activated commands are incredibly important to make FSD robust and synergize among the human, the autopilot, and the AI.
Sponsored