Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

Progress on the Model 3 Model Y portion of the facility was said to cost $1b in some permits recently so there is a long way to go still in Texas.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

Progress on the Model 3 portion of the facility was said to cost $1b in some permits recently so there is a long way to go still in Texas.
Don't you mean Model Y? BTW, $10B on a factory is astonishing. I remember when The Getty museum was built for $1 B. and that seemed like a lot. A museum is a much more complicated building than I would think a factory would be.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Don't you mean Model Y? BTW, $10B on a factory is astonishing. I remember when The Getty museum was built for $1 B. and that seemed like a lot. A museum is a much more complicated building than I would think a factory would be.
Well the Getty museum isn’t filled with 1000 robots and 6 gigapresses which aren’t cheap.

PS Fixed the typo, thanks.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
By the time my CT is delivered, factory will be paid for. If Tesla wants to be in the black, deliver my CT.

wife worked for Getty when built. There were a lot of internal discussions and opinions. It is a nice museum.

Deleted member 12457

$10B divided by 1M vehicles (first full year production) means $10K/vehicle to pay off the building. That's not that bad, especially if you pro-rate that cost over a few years. Adding as couple thousand dollars to the cost of Teslas to pay off just this plant isn't that bad. $10B is a lot of money but not for what Tesla is producing. All the excavators, tractors, cranes and other heavy equipment costs add up very quickly as does all the labor costs. Material costs for something this huge (large isn't what it is) is also a huge amount. If you take the 987 acres shown above that's only $10M/acre or $230/sqft, a very reasonable price for common homes and we're talking about single story homes, not several story high buildings with expensive robots and machines. As a stock holder, I think this is money well spent.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
$10B divided by 1M vehicles (first full year production) means $10K/vehicle to pay off the building. That's not that bad, especially if you pro-rate that cost over a few years. Adding as couple thousand dollars to the cost of Teslas to pay off just this plant isn't that bad. $10B is a lot of money but not for what Tesla is producing. All the excavators, tractors, cranes and other heavy equipment costs add up very quickly as does all the labor costs. Material costs for something this huge (large isn't what it is) is also a huge amount. If you take the 987 acres shown above that's only $10M/acre or $230/sqft, a very reasonable price for common homes and we're talking about single story homes, not several story high buildings with expensive robots and machines. As a stock holder, I think this is money well spent.
They won’t be producing 1m vehicles per year for at least 3 years from start of production. Shanghai is 2 years in and right about half a million right now working towards 750k next year.

But they haven’t spent nearly $10B yet. That’ll be 3-5 years down the road and by the time they hit the $10B mark they should be at 1m/ year.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
If it cost 1 Billion so far.

What on Earth will be put there that's going to cost 9 times more.

Ok.. we can postulate.... a Starlink factory, Cathode plant... ??????? etc

I've got 8.5 Billion left to spend

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

pretty sure this will be Tesla only, no SpaceX.

I don’t think the Cybertruck pieces were counted in that initial billion. Also lots of battery factory stuff not accounted for.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag

Elon is a Bond villain. Underground lair With lasers, robots, flame throwers, and rockets. You know, everything he already has above ground.
Sponsored