GM’s Mary Barra Says GM can Catch Tesla by 2025. Problem is…

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
“https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/27/gm-can-absolutely-top-tesla-in-ev-sales-by-2025-says-ceo-mary-barra.html” said:
DETROIT – General Motors can "absolutely" catch Tesla in U.S. sales of electric vehicle by 2025, CEO and Chair Mary Barra told CNBC on Wednesday.

Barra said an influx of new products, including the soon-to-be-released GMC Hummer pickup and Cadillac Lyriq as well as an upcoming Chevrolet crossover, will help the company beat Tesla. The vehicles are part of GM's plan to release at least 30 EVs by 2025.

"I am very comfortable because when people get into these vehicles, they are just wowed," Barra said during CNBC's "Squawk Box." "So we will be rolling them out and we're going to just keep working until we have number one market share in EVs."
Just between the capacity at Fremont and Tera Texas ramping up, Tesla is going to have capacity to manufacture between 1.5 and 2 million vehicles/ year and that capacity is online end of 2023. GM told their shareholders recently they aren’t planning on having capacity for more than 20% of their US sales converted by 2025, that’s not quite 1.5 million vehicles. Tesla is on course to have capacity to produce 4-5 million EVs a year in the US alone.

Either GM was seriously sandbagging at their investors meeting; Barra is completely unaware of Teslas production capacity coming online; or she’s just outright lying.

There is a strong chance Tesla will be selling more total cars (ICE + EVs) than GM by 2027. I’d give them a 50/50 chance of surpassing them by 2025.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
" Barra is completely unaware of Tesla's production capacity coming online, or she’s just outright lying."

I would not look for GM to be on the horizon in a few years, they will become the new Saturn. When you rank them against VW and Ford they come in dead last and this is by their own calculations of producing EVs. Ford is getting out of the sedan business so that leaves VW who BTW was smart enough to have Elon speak to their executives.

jerhenderson

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Correctional Officer
Country flag
Just between the capacity at Fremont and Tera Texas ramping up, Tesla is going to have capacity to manufacture between 1.5 and 2 million vehicles/ year and that capacity is online end of 2023. GM told their shareholders recently they aren’t planning on having capacity for more than 20% of their US sales converted by 2025, that’s not quite 1.5 million vehicles. Tesla is on course to have capacity to produce 4-5 million EVs a year in the US alone.

Maybe GM was seriously sandbagging at their investors meeting, Barra is completely unaware of Teslas production capacity coming online, or she’s just outright lying.

There is a strong chance Tesla will be selling more total cars (ICE + EVs) than GM by 2027. I’d give them a 50/50 chance of surpassing them by 2025.
she's smoking crack

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
" Barra is completely unaware of Tesla's production capacity coming online, or she’s just outright lying."

I would not look for GM to be on the horizon in a few years, they will become the new Saturn. When you rank them against VW and Ford they come in dead last and this is by their own calculations of producing EVs. Ford is getting out of the sedan business so that leaves VW who BTW was smart enough to have Elon speak to their executives.
VW‘s Diess was smart enough to have Musk speak with his management, but his hands are largely tied and they have a very big ship to turn.

Ford and GM’s big problem is every vehicle Tesla sells is a former Ford or GM customer. Tesla is planning on growing at 50% per year. They are already starting to displace GM & Ford sales.

It looks like sometime between 2016 and 2019 will be put on the record books as peak “ICE” sales in the US. Ford, GMs, and the US Stellantis brands sales have declined for 4 years running. The current chip shortage offers a nice coverup for the most recent decline, but it seems pretty likely their sales will never return to levels they enjoyed just a few years ago.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Here is something I have only heard one person (Cathie Wood) in the marketplace talk about. GM Battery Technology is a generation or two behind Tesla. If GM wants to offer the same performance, the same range and offer it at the SAME COST to consumers, they will have to sell every car at a significant loss. That is not sustainable business model. So when GM’s CEO says that they will catch up to Tesla, what does she mean? Total units sold? If they don’t sell it at a loss, the market will always prevail and consumers will select the better product. If GM is willing to sell at a loss, they will accelerate to coming Sears, JC Penny’s, etc. And everyone knows how that story ends.

In addition, nobody has the charging infrastructure that Tesla has. Furthermore, GM cars charge slower. This is a classic case of Disruptive Innovation. If this was chess, Tesla would have yelled CHECK three moves ago. GM has lost, they just don’t know it yet.

If Tesla ever decides to market their products, their motto should be: “If you want more…you have to be willing to PAY LESS.”

C0249251-8652-4889-874D-0C2A6817CE4C.jpeg

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

Maybe GM was seriously sandbagging at their investors meeting, Barra is completely unaware of Teslas production capacity coming online, or she’s just outright lying.

She's smoking Space Crack

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
In addition, nobody has the charging infrastructure that Tesla has. Furthermore, GM cars charge slower. This is a classic case of Disruptive Innovation. If this was chess, Tesla would have yelled CHECK three moves ago. GM has lost, they just don’t know it yet.
I think the phrase you are looking for is “Mate in 3 years”.

Sometimes it feels like we’re all drinking Kool Aid here and we just haven’t been told it’s poisoned yet.

The big problem all of these companies have is that they all seem to plan for a 10 year transition which will be too late. That is about the right time frame. Now they just need the time machine to go back in time to 2012 or so…

A.W.Jelfs

First Name
Asa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
HQ gts 350 monaro Ht gts 307 monaro
Occupation
retired investor
Country flag
Hi All from Aussie Land.
Firstly they have to stop their Bolt from catching fire.
They reckon every single one that has been made needs to be recalled at the cost of over a billion dollars.
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.
GM will never have their own FSD they will need to buy or lease the software from Tesla.
GM will need to partner with the Chinese to have any chance of surviving till 2035.

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Problemo “network” effects!
Charging
Battery
Insurance
OTA
FSD

Elon never rests, especially, now he’s stepped away from spotlight. Tesla is a moving target engineered to iterate, innovate, obsolete and repeat.

Panasonic announced 4680 cuts its costs by half. Whatever battery GM is plugging is yesteryear as Teslas are moving on LFT. GM aren’t able to operate that way.

GM excels at production longterm. BEV have emerged as electronic assembly. GM doesn’t have a seat at the table reserved for Foxconn, Qualcomm and TSMC. GM fumbled EV-1, its best chance.

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Only way GM can even think about 'Gaining Ground' (but still not 'catching') Tesla - is if Biden continues his corrupt manipulation attempts to try and seriously hold back Tesla which he definitely wants to do - because their political money sources are drying up and the UAW is definitely a big one. Ironically, Biden doesn't even care about GM or Ford at all, it's their UAW money so he's treating them as pawns just like many others he has tried to manipulate. Biden doesn't care about the environment nor does he care anything about the companies - Follow the Money...

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
This is the same CEO who APPROVED investing $2.2 beelllllioooonnnn into Nikola.

Nikola! A company with no real technology.

If I was on GM's board of directors I would have called for Mary Barbra's resignation.

Mary Barbra is desperate and will say anything she needs to give the directors, employees, and customers the impression that everything is fine.

She'll be unemployed soon.

Carlos Thomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
I think the phrase you are looking for is “Mate in 3 years”.
Actually, what I am trying to say is that Tesla has set up the board already and what we are seeing in real time is GM playing into an inevitable outcome. When someone has set the board and gives you a “light check”, it is at that moment that you realize things are really bad.

GM took their eyes off the board and didn’t see what was really happening.

E9386FB8-DCFB-4277-AB27-80D85CA049C3.jpeg

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

You do realize Saturn WAS part of GM, just like Oldsmobile and Pontiac. The game is almost over!

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I don’t get why everyone gets so much Joy out of an American Icon that employs so many people dying off. I have no doubt both Tesla and GM can sell any EV they can produce. Even if she is B.S.ing about their ability, they are obviously dumping a ton of money into going electric. I don’t get why we wouldn’t want that to happen.
Sponsored