Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
GM Defense Builds One-Off Electric ISV To Impress The Army
Tesla Cybertruck GM Defense Builds One-Off Electric ISV To Impress The Army ehicle-all-electric-concept-vehicle-three-quarters

By: Chris Bruce

It uses GM's eCrate electric powertrain
GM Defense has a one-off, electric version of its Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) that it refers to as the All Electric Concept Vehicle, according to GM Authority. While the name isn't very creative, the idea behind the vehicle is fascinating because it points to a possible future for military vehicles.

The All Electric Concept Vehicle uses the General Motors eCrate electric powertrain. This consists of an electric motor making 200 horsepower (149 kilowatts) and 266 lb-ft (361 Newton-meters) of torque. There's also a 60-kilowatt-hour, 400-volt battery, and the range is estimated at 70 to 150 miles.

For comparison, the existing version of the ISV uses a 2.8-liter Duramax four-cylinder turbodiesel engine that makes over 186 horsepower (139 kilowatts) and 369 pound-feet (500 Newton-meters).

Oddly for an EV, the drivetrain puts the electric motor in front under the hood, but it drives the rear wheels, according to GM Authority. The system can also allegedly operate in four-wheel drive, suggesting the motor must be routing the power through a transfer case.

GM Defense also tweaks the look of the ISV by putting a pickup bed on the back, rather than the seats in the rear of the standard version. This limits the occupancy to five people, though, instead of nine. The floor of the cargo area uses the same carbon fiber as what's available on the GMC Sierra.

"There were no requirements to build anything of the sort. However, we wanted to show our Army customer what was possible in a short amount of time. We took it off-road at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Rock City Campground on Monday, and it performed exceptionally well and did the same course as the ISV which included a steep muddy and rocky hill climb," GM Defense spokesperson Sonia Taylor told Motor1.com
Gallery: GM Defense Chevy Colorado Infantry Squad Vehicle
Tesla Cybertruck GM Defense Builds One-Off Electric ISV To Impress The Army defense-chevy-colorado-infantry-squad-vehicle-lead

The US Army released a survey in November 2020 to check the availability of an electric light reconnaissance vehicle that would weigh 12,000 pounds fully loaded. "The technology is here and is coming. We're at an inflection point with electrification," Jeff Ryder, GM Defense's vice president for growth and strategy told Inside Defense in a December 2020 interview. Electric vehicles are a very, very real conversation right now," he also stated.

The version of the ISV that GM Defense supplies to the US Army uses around 90 percent off-the-shelf parts from existing vehicles, especially from the Colorado ZR2 pickup.

GM Defense has a $214.3 million military contract to build the combustion-powered ISV for the Army. The initial order is for 639 of them, but there's an option in the contract to increase the number to 2,065 vehicles.

SOURCE: motor1
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
just curious as to why people keep saying "one-OFF" insinuating it is one of a kind or series....I always thought it was "0ne-of"......meaning 1 of 1, 1 of 2 or 1 of 25......

did or have I lost something in the translation of this common phrase over the years?.....thanks and I mean no disrespect....

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
just curious as to why people keep saying "one-OFF" insinuating it is one of a kind or series....I always thought it was "0ne-of"......meaning 1 of 1, 1 of 2 or 1 of 25......

did or have I lost something in the translation of this common phrase over the years?.....thanks and I mean no disrespect....
I definitely always had that term as one-off. A single item, not to be built again. Singular forever.

But maybe I was just double visioning the “f” all these years.

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I definitely always had that term as one-off. A single item, not to be built again. Singular forever.

But maybe I was just double visioning the “f” all these years.
it could be an age thing.....I think the past two generations have changed many things.......our language is one of those changes....I have to listen really well when listening to younger kids speak.....half the time I can't understand what they are talking about or the words in their songs......I am a 50's and 60's guy.....hehehehe

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
One of one and 'one off' mean the same, but they're different terms.

It's nice to see they're using the eCrate, but this seems like a dumb use for it, unless we're trying to prove they can stick it where gas engines would have normally been.

-Crissa
Sponsored