Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Hey Sparkchaser!

If you can could you make like a hundred or so photos from different angles and I can make a orthomosiac from that, that I could dimension, and I could share here?

So if you can, probably three levels would be best, so a lap around at knee height, eye height and then one lap with your arm fully extended above your head. Then just walk around and take one every foot or so, and it doesn’t matter if its always completely in frame so long the photos overlap by half or so. Maybe you could take something with that we know the size of as well, either a small measuring tape or walking stick, or bottle, peice of string etc. The longer it is the better though. You can lay it on the floor somewhere in a photo, just one or two picture per side will be enough, but if it doesn't disturb anyone just leave it there for the overhead lap.

Anyways, even just lots of photos would be great. I can setup a share folder to upload them too. If not that's OK too, enjoy you day there either way! 😊

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Tesla gave specs for this prototype. Length of 231.7 inches, width of 79.8 inches, and height of 75 inches.

How those dimensions and that prototype will compare to the final production CT, is purely speculation. So go and enjoy your time with the granddaddy to all our CTs, along with all the interesting Prototypes and information about the history of Tesla. The museum is 3 stories of fun & interesting cars to explore.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Tesla gave specs for this prototype. Length of 231.7 inches, width of 79.8 inches, and height of 75 inches.

How those dimensions and that prototype will compare to the final production CT, is purely speculation. So go and enjoy your time with the granddaddy to all our CTs, along with all the interesting Prototypes and information about the history of Tesla. The museum is 3 stories of fun & interesting cars to explore.
This has been discussed previously, the concept Cybertruck that is on display at the Petersen does not match the on screen specs that were shown as it is 84" wide.

Which brings me to the point:

@SparkChaser: Any chance you could take a tape measure with you so we can ascertain its length?

RandyS

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 Performance, 2021 Model Y LR
Country flag
We went to the museum a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed all the exhibits (and especially the Tesla exhibit). It took us several hours to go through and look at everything. They have parking on-site, so you don't have to park somewhere else and walk over. There are a few EV chargers, but not too many. If you need to use one, get there early...I know you'll really enjoy it!

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Hey Sparkchaser!

If you can could you make like a hundred or so photos from different angles and I can make a orthomosiac from that, that I could dimension, and I could share here?

So if you can, probably three levels would be best, so a lap around at knee height, eye height and then one lap with your arm fully extended above your head. Then just walk around and take one every foot or so, and it doesn’t matter if its always completely in frame so long the photos overlap by half or so. Maybe you could take something with that we know the size of as well, either a small measuring tape or walking stick, or bottle, peice of string etc. The longer it is the better though. You can lay it on the floor somewhere in a photo, just one or two picture per side will be enough, but if it doesn't disturb anyone just leave it there for the overhead lap.

Anyways, even just lots of photos would be great. I can setup a share folder to upload them too. If not that's OK too, enjoy you day there either way! 😊
wouldn’t extracting the stills from a 4K iPhone video be easier for Spark and better for your model?

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag

Yeah, they gave the planned specs of the production truck, not the proto. That mock up was significantly larger in all dimensions.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I too wish to make a pilgrimage, but alas, it lies across the seas

Tesla Cybertruck Going to the Peterson next week. So excited to see a CT in person 1681014599232

Innovation is obvious

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
wouldn’t extracting the stills from a 4K iPhone video be easier for Spark and better for your model?
I could try. Do you have a video like that? The work is in extracting the frames, and most are only shot at one height, I need lots of different angles and overlap to get good triangulation for a pointcloud.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I could try. Do you have a video like that? The work is in extracting the frames, and most are only shot at one height, I need lots of different angles and overlap to get good triangulation for a pointcloud.
I don’t have the vid

but saying instead that @SparkChaser shooting that vid at Peterson would be easier probably than taking photos. Make sure camera on highest resolution, roll camera, do a lap around the CT down low, then a second lap at waistline, then a third lap at hands-over-head, then stop vid.

before he goes, you give him a file link to email vid to - one upload and done

any basic video editing software, including what comes standard on macs or windows, easily allows extracting a vid frame into a .jpg etc

and you’d have several thousand spare photos from which to grab any additional points needed

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I don’t have the vid

but saying instead that @SparkChaser shooting that vid at Peterson would be easier probably than taking photos. Make sure camera on highest resolution, roll camera, do a lap around the CT down low, then a second lap at waistline, then a third lap at hands-over-head, then stop vid.

before he goes, you give him a file link to email vid to - one upload and done

any basic video editing software, including what comes standard on macs or windows, easily allows extracting a vid frame into a .jpg etc

and you’d have several thousand spare photos from which to grab any additional points needed
Yeah, it would work too, but how many of those frames will be compressed, motion blurred and distorted, poorly exposed etc. compared to high res quality shots from his Canon. Most SLRs are poor at making videos as they struggle to auto focus depending on the lens used. From a processing standpoint the less frames, but at a higher quality the better. So long I have an overlap of about 3-4 overlapping shots of the same point on the vehicle it should be good. I'll see if I can find some time to do my own vehicles to get a better idea of how to get accurate results...otherwise I might do it next month myself. 😊

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't understand the interest in the exact sizing of the protoype at the museum.

We know it is different in significant ways from the truck that is about to be released.
Sponsored