First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru STI, KTM450EXC
Country flag
Good news :

Cybertruck will have 800 + volt architecture. Not current 400 V ( Along with Semi, as the maximum possible fast charging will be a commercial imperative)

Bad news :

Confirmation of this, along with other specifications, likely delayed due to concern over Osborne effect.
As this will likely also lead to 800 v architecture rolled out to other models.

Could this be correct ? Is this the reason why Elon keeps pushing back the announcements of the details of the Cybertruck ? He first did so in April 2020 !
Is it correct to say, most if not all other E.V.'s (even cheaper ones) use superior 800 volt architecture ?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Good news :

Cybertruck will have 800 + volt architecture. Not current 400 V ( Along with Semi, as the maximum possible fast charging will be a commercial imperative)

Bad news :

Confirmation of this, along with other specifications, likely delayed due to concern over Osborne effect.

Could this be correct ? Is this the reason why Elon keeps pushing back the announcements of the details of the Cybertruck ? He first did so in April 2020 !
Is it correct to say, most if not all other E.V.'s (even cheaper ones) use superior 800 volt architecture ?
Probably not correct. You say there is no proof, so where does the information come from?

Last edited:

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Probably not correct. You say there is no proof, so where does the information come from?
I wouldn't be surprised if it was correct for the following reasons:

If they are using new batteries that can handle heat better, why not.

Smi has a big pack and has a lot more to fill and can't afford to wait on the road forever while ICE trucks fill up and go.

Everyone else is doing it. How can you be industry leader and left behind:
https://chargedevs.com/newswire/kia-to-introduce-800-volt-battery-system-goosing-charging-speeds/

If you are towing and running out of juice quickly, you will see a lot of unfavorable reviews on youtube about bad charging experience if you can not fill up quick.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Good news :

Bad news :

Why do you think 800v is faster than 400v or is superior? Typical battery charge speed is limited by internal resistance which is a resistance to current and resultant heat management. A higher voltage charger does not mean that more power is put into the battery. 800v at 5 amp is exactly equivalent to 400v at 10 amp.

Deleted member 5322

Am I right in saying that 5 amp is safer than 10 amp?

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Elon might be planning “Int’l” ramp-up. Germany 3phase is 400v.
MENNEKES CONNECTOR
RWE and Daimler single and three phase coupler initiative is an IEC 62196 type2 implementation 63 A three-phase (at 400 V in Central Europe) which makes a maximum of 63 A × 400 V × √3 = 43.6 kW.

The only difference is that most European versions have an on-board charger that take advantage of three-phase electric power with higher voltage and current limits even for the same basic electric vehicle model (such as Chevrolet Volt / Opel Ampera). Tesla equips its newest vehicles with a dual connector charge port system to support more than one charging standard. Tesla factory equips both Supercharger and the dominant market standard to enable easier access for Tesla owners to growing public charging networks in their home country.

Elsewhere in EU CCS2 is DC Fast Charge. So Tesla maybe is moving to 400v to standardize its network compatibility worldwide. Standard disclaimer applies no engineer, electrician or puzzle master, neither.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Am I right in saying that 5 amp is safer than 10 amp?
No. 0.1 to 0.2 amps can be lethal current. On a Navy ship 0.03 amps is enough to crisp you if the voltage is high enough.

Deleted member 5322

No. 0.1 to 0.2 amps can be lethal current. On a Navy ship 0.03 amps is enough to crisp you if the voltage is high enough.
I always thought that high voltage with low amp is safer than low voltage with high amp. How does tesla tower work? It has thousands of volts but it does not kill ppl.
i am sorry, i am not an electrician....

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I always thought that high voltage with low amp is safer than low voltage with high amp. How does tesla tower work? It has thousands of volts but it does not kill ppl.
i am sorry, i am not an electrician....
There is a video on this thread that should help.... your body, shoes, etc have resistance to current. The higher the voltage the easier to overcome that resistance then current will flow. It doesn't take a huge current to kill you and at 800 volts you certainly don't want it to be a rainy day. ?
Sponsored