Hazmat transport

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
I frequently have to transport chemicals in my line of work, acid, solvents, etc. Even though they're in secure containers, I've had a few pop and leak into my service boxes on my bed. That was enough if a headache as it is.

I'm hoping the CT has a way for me to have the tonneau down but not have the bed share the air and climate control of the cabin. I suppose the frunk could be used, but since I plan to use that for groceries and such I'd rather not.

Any thoughts on what will be the best means of transporting chemicals without risking cabin exposure?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I wouldn't hazard a guess without a truck in hand to figure it out.

I usually use a yard tarp with a hard surface atop it when carrying messy things, but you'll have to be certain your use time will not exceed the ability of any barrier to be consumed by your solvents.

-Crissa

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Also useful for transporting manure
As a frequent manure transporter, I disagree. Nothing like trying to scrape the bottom only to find that you've ripped yet another hole in the tarp with your grain shovel.

Best manure transport is bare or spray-on liner (no mats), a grain shovel, a pushbroom, and a hose.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As a frequent manure transporter, I disagree. Nothing like trying to scrape the bottom only to find that you've ripped yet another hole in the tarp with your grain shovel.
Hence putting down a hard surface over the tarp, like a piece of plywood.

Then you can pull it out and hose it down.

-Crissa

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I frequently have to transport chemicals in my line of work, acid, solvents, etc. Even though they're in secure containers, I've had a few pop and leak into my service boxes on my bed. That was enough if a headache as it is.

I'm hoping the CT has a way for me to have the tonneau down but not have the bed share the air and climate control of the cabin. I suppose the frunk could be used, but since I plan to use that for groceries and such I'd rather not.

Any thoughts on what will be the best means of transporting chemicals without risking cabin exposure?
Positive cabin pressure in the passenger compartment and negative in vault will do the job you need. Unless you transport volatile organics.

Professional temperature and pressure containment are outside the bounds of Tesla, Cybertruck biowarfare ambient air system and HHS.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
There are some big pros and cons to the mid-gate idea. I hope it goes through, personally. But aside from what's already been suggested, I have used a cabinet-like container in the bed to house dangerous materials, but the ones from my work weren't air tight...
Maybe something like a refrigerator cabinet, without the refrigeration lol.

If it's like manure, and thrown in, that won't work so well... But in my case it was always messy containers of antifreeze or R12/R22, which were already in a container, sorta. I don't have any experience transporting anything REALLY nasty. But you may need special equipment for that anyway...

Is this a health concern or more of an "I don't want to smell it." Kind of thing?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Bureau of Land Management require a spill tray capable of holding all the volume of the containers that are stored in it. You'll often see people use kiddie pools under gas drums for that reason ^-^

-Crissa

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
If it's something you do regularly, I would probably place the haz mat jugs in a heavy duty plastic bin with a cover during transport. Like the $10 black and yellow ones at Costco or Home Depot. At least keeps things mostly contained. I would expect that you would normally not be sharing the passenger compartment air with the vault air.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not sure how big your hazardous materials are, but you might consider putting them under the bed or in the sail pillar storage. The sail pillars are almost certainly not connected to the cab at all. The under bed storage is in the vault, but at least has an additional lid on top of it.

OP
OP
BillyGee

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
There are some big pros and cons to the mid-gate idea. I hope it goes through, personally. But aside from what's already been suggested, I have used a cabinet-like container in the bed to house dangerous materials, but the ones from my work weren't air tight...
Maybe something like a refrigerator cabinet, without the refrigeration lol.

If it's like manure, and thrown in, that won't work so well... But in my case it was always messy containers of antifreeze or R12/R22, which were already in a container, sorta. I don't have any experience transporting anything REALLY nasty. But you may need special equipment for that anyway...

Is this a health concern or more of an "I don't want to smell it." Kind of thing?
My major chemicals of note are muriatic acid, concentrated acetic acid (angry vinegar) and specialty gear oils. While they all have their own pesky odors, they are also all potentially hazardous in enclosed spaces and have myriad stickers alerting me of this. You know, the funny ones with 4 colors and the numbers?

So long as the bed and cabin separation is controllable it sounds like it should be a non-issue, I'd just really hate to have to get creative about carrying things I otherwise carry in my bed and service boxes right now.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Not sure how big your hazardous materials are, but you might consider putting them under the bed or in the sail pillar storage. The sail pillars are almost certainly not connected to the cab at all. The under bed storage is in the vault, but at least has an additional lid on top of it.
Just for a second there I thought you recommended having them underslung. LOL.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
If it's something you do regularly, I would probably place the haz mat jugs in a heavy duty plastic bin with a cover during transport. Like the $10 black and yellow ones at Costco or Home Depot. At least keeps things mostly contained. I would expect that you would normally not be sharing the passenger compartment air with the vault air.
Tesla Cybertruck Hazmat transport 1627434934504

And they are stack-able and nest well with others.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The warning of enclosed spaces is that if they're left enclosed, their gasses or spillage will build up and create a hazard when you open up.

Mostly that means don't leave them alone in the heat too long and don't stick your head in right after opening a space they're in. You could mount a fan on the tallgate since Cybertruck has power back there.

-Crissa
Sponsored