Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Ok - these are not light and most HD trucks don't have these. The front would support a hell of a snow plow, but what about the ones in the back?

I am going to guess a bolt on camper extension or roll cage rack system. That hitch looks like 1/2" wall tube steel.

Tesla Cybertruck HD receivers front and rear 1649421182026
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
My next guess is this is nothing to be produced. Maybe they were going to hang it in the air for display. It is a hack job, where they cut through the plastic cover. A lot of effort for a failed attempt.

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
My next guess is this is nothing to be produced. Maybe they were going to hang it in the air for display. It is a hack job, where they cut through the plastic cover. A lot of effort for a failed attempt.
IDK - I bet it'll be an option, or at least an aftermarket mod. I've had concerns about how the exo/structural will work with aftermarket agricultural/functional accessories for mid-duty work (snow plow, winch, front-mounted snow blower (snowvac), spreader, etc), and this kind of confirms for me that it'll at least be possible and likely not a risk to mechanicals.

Factory or not yeah you may be correct, but for those where the truck is nothing but a base/platform for the real tools, this may ease a lot of minds about extensibility and functionality with existing platforms - something that has been anathema to Tesla thusfar.

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
IDK - I bet it'll be an option, or at least an aftermarket mod. I've had concerns about how the exo/structural will work with aftermarket agricultural/functional accessories for mid-duty work (snow plow, winch, front-mounted snow blower (snowvac), spreader, etc), and this kind of confirms for me that it'll at least be possible and likely not a risk to mechanicals.

Factory or not yeah you may be correct, but for those where the truck is nothing but a base/platform for the real tools, this may ease a lot of minds about extensibility and functionality with existing platforms - something that has been anathema to Tesla thusfar.
Yeah the fact that they can bolt/weld something substantial to the megacasting (if there is a aluminum alloy part in there now) is encouraging. That said it is a lot of structure that the vast majority of people would not use.

If this is a factory option, the sky is the limit for bolt ons. There is a ton of power to work with.

Tesla Cybertruck HD receivers front and rear 1649423954388

WildhavenMI

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (reserved), 2021 Bolt EV, 2018 Model X
Occupation
Digital @ Aurora Solar
Country flag
Yeah the fact that they can bolt/weld something substantial to the megacasting (if there is a aluminum alloy part in there now) is encouraging. That said it is a lot of structure that the vast majority of people would not use.

If this is a factory option, the sky is the limit for bolt ons. There is a ton of power to work with.

1649423954388.png
You know I've been playing with the new bobcat battery electric skid steer lately (as opposed to the umbilical electric one which has been around for a while) and that did get me to thinking about powered attachments. Like, could CT-as-engine (or any EV platform) be a replacement for the PTO for equipment that makes sense truck mounted. If there was a working group that could put together a standard for PTO-but-electric so we don't end up with proprietary attachments I bet the market would shift that way eventually.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ok - these are not light and most HD trucks don't have these.
None as far as I'm aware of, not even as an option from the factory. I'm talking about HD pickup trucks.

In the presentation Elon asked Franz von Holzhausen(designer of the CT)if he wanted to say something about the CT and his reply was "there is no other truck, everything else fails in comparison, this is the only one you need"

Elon also said it will be Tesla's Magnum opus!

OP
OP
Tinker71

Tinker71

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
You know I've been playing with the new bobcat battery electric skid steer lately (as opposed to the umbilical electric one which has been around for a while) and that did get me to thinking about powered attachments. Like, could CT-as-engine (or any EV platform) be a replacement for the PTO for equipment that makes sense truck mounted. If there was a working group that could put together a standard for PTO-but-electric so we don't end up with proprietary attachments I bet the market would shift that way eventually.
A 240 VAC 40 amp outlet can make around 10 HP, which could power a hydraulic pump and a small digger, (smaller than the screen shot).
I looked through the offerings for 3 point tractor attachments. Most don't make sense because the CT is so big that it would be difficult to maneuver. IDK.

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ok - these are not light and most HD trucks don't have these. The front would support a hell of a snow plow, but what about the ones in the back?

I am going to guess a bolt on camper extension or roll cage rack system. That hitch looks like 1/2" wall tube steel.

1649421182026.png
Just a note.....there doesn't look like there has been much use, if any. No wear marks.

Qball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
a front receiver would be nice but for me a front winch would be even better, please have a front winch as an option!!! Or space to bolt one on!!! Please, I am begging you Elon!
Tesla Cybertruck HD receivers front and rear 8133E0E4-E9E3-477F-BF7E-CE4D0715EC04

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Never did I see a PTO rear mounted that was useful. Plenty of missing limbs farm tractors speaks to PTO problems. Best use was front PTO->hydraulic pump that enabled snowplow inside cab controls.

American engineering historically favors independence. British famously engineers dependently ganging off single source. The latter introduces feedbacks that breed complications.

So it’s a No on Tesla engining any 3rd party hangers-on. Plenty of attachments are perfectly suited to Cybertruck in ways not yet consider, thunk or frunk possible yet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No chance this ships like this with big plates sticking out.

Very interesting for certain. Brush guards perhaps or maybe just installed for some testing equipment.

Tesla Cybertruck HD receivers front and rear 1649438405381

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
No chance this ships like this with big plates sticking out.

Very interesting for certain. Brush guards perhaps or maybe just installed for some testing equipment.

1649438405381.png
Apparently it was to push this mule around as it couldn't drive itself yet.

-

As for electric PTO. Imagine just a cable with a plug on one end for the CT and a lightweight 30-40hp electric motor on the other that could be attached in any orientation, meaning no more PTO shafts or expensive gearboxes on implements anymore, front or rear, in bed or even underneath. You could use the same motor to drive every attachment. How awesome would that be?

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Or just for shipping. Or to show that hard mounts were possible.

American engineering historically favors independence. British famously engineers dependently ganging off single source. The latter introduces feedbacks that breed complications.
The advantage with batteries is that they don't care about the load variations, for the most part. Which eliminates the old generator/hydraulic pump power balancing problems.

I do hope Tesla does give access to the traction battery power for third party applications. Even if just a governed tap.

-Crissa
Sponsored