Highland model 3 with rear seat screen and controls (Robotaxi hint)

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Looking at the information about the new Model 3 that was just announced last night, there was information that there will be controls to move the front seats forward (without occupants in them).

BAM! My mind went ROBOTAXI controls!!!!

I have never heard of any manufacturer giving rear seat occupants the ability to do that. Why would you want to enable that, unless you are expecting the front seats to be unoccupied. How often do you drive and have someone with you ride in the back seat when they could choose to sit in the front?

Sure, your dog, or kids may go back there at times. But really, can you imagine Tesla putting in this feature without having the ability to disable it from the driver's seat?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
When cleaning or loading out my car, I often wish I could move the seats without being in the front.

I'll have my head in the back door and an arm down under the seat pulling out stuff that rolled under or stuffing water bottles under there for later and need to reposition the seats.

Or when getting in or out from the back, the front occupant jumps out but you in the back still need to wriggle your way out.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Insirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Prius Prime, 2022 XSR-900
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Just handy to have for cleaning, packing things since there's not fast manual controls. Electric seat controls are nice but kinda slow.

With everything being operable from touch screen though it does pave the way for Robotaxis. Hopefully with Hardware 4 they have everything they need to make it happen!
Sponsored