Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, '24? Cyberbeast
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
???!!!

You will definitely be able to charge both at 40 A by setting each vehicle to charge at that rate or you can leave them both set to charge at the maximum 11,5 kW rate (48 A) and the first to plug in will get 48 A and the other 32 A.

Assuming the CT has a single charging port it would send 48 A to it (as much as it can take). Now if there is a 2nd charging port on the CT when you unplug the 3 and plug in the second charging port it would, presumably, treat it as another car and allow it to draw 32 A. This all assumes a lot that we don't really know. The assumption of two separate 48 A chargers is attractive but may not turn out to be what they do.

I think your plan is a good one to the point that I may buy another Gen 2 and put it on the shelf against the day the CT or R1T gets here as I have the same arrangement you do currently.
Hey, I, for one, appreciate your detailed answers. Thank you for those and keep it up! I'm new to Tesla though am currently working on talking my wife into a Model Y so that I'll at least have a Tesla in the family for the next two years or so till my CT gets built.
Sponsored

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
lol, fair enough!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I went to the store and had a look. They note that it's a limited stock intended just for people in our situation so I figured I'd better grab one while I could. Rather than put it on the shelf I think I'll install it. Shouldn't require a permit as its not a new circuit.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You can have multiple cars on one circuit, it will split while both are charging and divert full power once one car is done. My work installed an 80 amp lead to 4 rapid chargers. When there are 4 cars charging it’s slow, but I get the full 80 amps if I’m the only one charging.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
This may be confusing. You have an older car with dual 40A chargers. These are no longer offered. The current production have dual 24A chargers and, thus, the most any of them will draw is 48A. You are also describing the Gen 2 HPWC which could supply the oldest cars delivering 80A and you could also install up to 4 on one circuit (one master and 3 slaves communicating through a hard wired twisted pair). The new HPWC (Gen 3) is only capable of delivering 48 A and only one can be installed on a circuit but they can be pooled such that, for example, a business could have 8 of them, each with it's own 60A breaker in a subpanel behind a 200 A breaker. The maximum allowable load for that subpanel would be 160 A (0.8*200) and the Gen 3's can share that load. Thus if three cars occupy spots each will be allocated 48A (the maximum totaling 144A) but if a 4th car arrives each will only get 40A. If all 8 spots were occupied each would get 20A. The details of the allocation algorithm are unknown at this point because the sharing features are not yet implemented (but coming soon - in Tesla time). Apparently they will give an operator quite a bit of flexibility. Management of the units is via WiFi.

To add to the confusion Tesla has (see No. 12) put the Gen 2 back on sale for a time to accommodate people like me and SentinelOne who already have 100A circuits with one or more Gen 2's installed. To add charging for my CT if I wanted sharing I would have to take out my disconnect and replace it with a subpanel with two 60 A brekers, throw away my existing Gen 2 and install 2 new Gen 3 chargers. Being able to get a second Gen 2 and install is much simpler (though I'll have to pull No. 3 but not very far).

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Currently a Tesla Solar customer and I’m interest in purchasing the home charging system for my CyberTruck. Does anyone have any experience with that or can offer first time experience tips? Thanks in advance.
I am currently an owner of a 2018 Tesla Model 3 (OK, it's my wife's Tesla), I'd probably wait a bit before installing a wall plug for the CyberTruck until units start to ship. There might be specifics for the CyberTruck? If you already have a 3 prong plug in your garage for an electric dryer you are most likely half way there. I had to have my Auxiliary Panel in my garage beefed up to charge the Model 3. It took some searching for an electrician to handle the task, I got bids from $2,000 to the $500 it cost me. Tesla has a list of recommended Electricians for your area? I've seen information that the CyberTruck may be able to power my home as a backup battery? That would be really exciting as an option to the Powerwall. That too may be a modification to one's electrical panel?

Fabville

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fabville.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Nissan LEAF, Reservation for Tri-Motor CT
Country flag
I've seen information that the CyberTruck may be able to power my home as a backup battery? That would be really exciting as an option to the Powerwall. That too may be a modification to one's electrical panel?
In my opinion, I think it will be possible, but there could be hardware/software limitations that restrict it from being a reality. My neighbor installed a 10-circuit, 30-amp manual transfer switch on his house. He was able to choose what circuits in his house he wanted to be able to deliver backup power to through a small gas powered generator. If the Cybertruck has at least a 30amp output from the 220v plug, running an extension cord from it to a similar manual transfer switch should be feasible.

This is similar to the manual transfer switch my neighbor went with: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...p-Manual-Transfer-Switch-Kit-310CRK/205793178

OP
OP
OB2

OB2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
In my opinion, I think it will be possible, but there could be hardware/software limitations that restrict it from being a reality. My neighbor installed a 10-circuit, 30-amp manual transfer switch on his house. He was able to choose what circuits in his house he wanted to be able to deliver backup power to through a small gas powered generator. If the Cybertruck has at least a 30amp output from the 220v plug, running an extension cord from it to a similar manual transfer switch should be feasible.

This is similar to the manual transfer switch my neighbor went with: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...p-Manual-Transfer-Switch-Kit-310CRK/205793178
Thanks guys for all the tips and convo!

Did you catch the post about the possible factory ladder carrier? Its just amazing of the possibilities that this truck will have to offer. Keep the info coming. Thanks!

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
This may be confusing. You have an older car with dual 40A chargers. These are no longer offered. The current production have dual 24A chargers and, thus, the most any of them will draw is 48A. You are also describing the Gen 2 HPWC which could supply the oldest cars delivering 80A and you could also install up to 4 on one circuit (one master and 3 slaves communicating through a hard wired twisted pair). The new HPWC (Gen 3) is only capable of delivering 48 A and only one can be installed on a circuit but they can be pooled such that, for example, a business could have 8 of them, each with it's own 60A breaker in a subpanel behind a 200 A breaker. The maximum allowable load for that subpanel would be 160 A (0.8*200) and the Gen 3's can share that load. Thus if three cars occupy spots each will be allocated 48A (the maximum totaling 144A) but if a 4th car arrives each will only get 40A. If all 8 spots were occupied each would get 20A. The details of the allocation algorithm are unknown at this point because the sharing features are not yet implemented (but coming soon - in Tesla time). Apparently they will give an operator quite a bit of flexibility. Management of the units is via WiFi.

To add to the confusion Tesla has (see No. 12) put the Gen 2 back on sale for a time to accommodate people like me and SentinelOne who already have 100A circuits with one or more Gen 2's installed. To add charging for my CT if I wanted sharing I would have to take out my disconnect and replace it with a subpanel with two 60 A brekers, throw away my existing Gen 2 and install 2 new Gen 3 chargers. Being able to get a second Gen 2 and install is much simpler (though I'll have to pull No. 3 but not very far).
Good to know. Hopefully they will go with dual 40 amp chargers in the CT otherwise it will take a while to charge 500 miles of range.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No one really knows of course but my thinking is that the RWD and 2 motor AWD will have what the current production cars have i.e. a single 48 A charger which takes the maximum the Gen 3 HPWC can supply (48A from a 60A circuit). There seems to be a desire on the part of Tesla and others to keep charging circuit capacity down to 60A. NEC requires an extra lockable disconnect for circuits of more than that which may have something to do with this and the other thing I suspect is that going easier on the battery may be involved. I'm thinking, and this may be pure fantasy on my part, that on the TriMotor they will install a second charging port and charger unit (perhaps as on option as it's going to cost money to do this) as they evidently do on the Semi. This would give lot of flexibility to the owner. Many owners have, or will have, multiple HPWCs installed. Anyone contemplating buying a BEV should think about this at least to the extent that what he does if he decides to only install one does not preclude future expansion to more than one, CT or no, because I think that once a person buys a BEV he will never buy an ICE vehicle again.

CyberG

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 P85+
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Is it harder on the battery to charge at 80 amps of AC power or supercharging at, say 125k DC?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
To begin with unless you have an old S with dual chargers or an older S or X with fast charging option you will not be able to charge faster than 48 A (11.5 kW). Is charging 10 times faster than that harder on the battery? What does your common sense tell you? If it is silent note that the manuals for the recent cars advise avoiding Super Chargers except when absolutely necessary. Newer battery technology available by the time the CTs hit the road may change this somewhat

TirNaOg

First Name
Deasun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Country flag
Anyone just plug the charger that comes with the vehicle into the plug in the wall in the garage?
A normal plug.
Just wondering if you did that each night would you have enough charge in the morning to do 50/60 miles in?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A 120 V 15 A outlet delivers 1800 Wh in an hour. That will add about 4 miles range. If you can charge 15 hrs you would be able to add 60 miles per session.
Sponsored

Last edited: