Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Great Update tx. I knew about it , but the article confirms the timeline.

Musk said he intends to grow the charging network by 30% per year.

We have about 60 stations ATM, one could tavel from Melbourne to Rockhamption.

The next 50 Tesla locations should fil the gaps around AU by end 24.

I'd say similar stories apply around the world.

by 2026.. which is less than 4 years away, the EV story will write a new chapter.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Great Update tx. I knew about it , but the article confirms the timeline.

Muck said he intends to grow the charging network by 30% per year.

We have about 60 stations ATM, one could tavel from Melbourne to Rockhamption.

The next 50 Tesa locations should fil the gaps around AU by end 24.

I'd say similar stories apply around the world.

by 2026.. which is less than 4 years away, the EV story will write a new chapter.
Do u have a link to the extra 50 SC?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
no ,I made it up. But Elon did say he wants to increase the network 30% per year.

It follows at 30% compounding growth per year..
I allow extra for the model Y launch, and I considered Elon saying he was surprised by the popularity of the Y in AU. Plus we apparently have 26,000 CT on order.

Firstly they build a few locations in the city and surrounding suburbs, then new installations network about 150k apart between cities.

Over the last 12 months superchargers sprung up around Adelaide, and I think about 3 locations now in Perth.

So I figure the next linkage is between Melbourne , to Adelaide to Perth.

I recently worked out that building out the Supercharging network @30% is almost self funding.

I think with Car sales growing at 50% we may see extra funds allocated to the network growing it even faster.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
How many times do you actually have to charge at another charge station if you do city driving and can charge overnight at home? In my case 90% of my country driving would be charged at home, if I had a useable 400km range. But in saying that our charging network here is abysmal.
yeah, I don’t have to charge at a charge station.

In my Lightning, I’ve charged at a station twice, once on the way to and then again from our annual beach vacation 180 miles away - and only then did I charge out of an over-abundance of caution because it was my first BEV road trip, and I had two toddlers in the car.l with >100° temps. Now that I’m confident in its range, next year I won’t stop to charge at all on that trip.

Living in central Texas, the Lighting can easily do not only the beach, but Houston (165mi / 265km), Dallas (196mi / 315km), and similar reach.

If we ever needed to drive to El Paso (576 mi / 930km), I’d either have a bullet-proof charging plan, take the wife’s ICE, rent an ICE, or … by then have a Tesla charging subscription.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
no ,I made it up. But Elon did say he wants to increase the network 30% per year.

It follows at 30% compounding growth per year..
I allow extra for the model Y launch, and I considered Elon saying he was surprised by the popularity of the Y in AU. Plus we apparently have 26,000 CT on order.

Firstly they build a few locations in the city and surrounding suburbs, then new installations network about 150k apart between cities.

Over the last 12 months superchargers sprung up around Adelaide, and I think about 3 locations now in Perth.

So I figure the next linkage is between Melbourne , to Adelaide to Perth.

I recently worked out that building out the Supercharging network @30% is almost self funding.

I think with Car sales growing at 50% we may see extra funds allocated to the network growing it even faster.
Righto.

To be honest I have no idea what they plan on using to power the 1200km stretch between Ceduna and Norseman. The only thing I can imagine is diesel generators for now, until they can get, or even afford to get a Tesla megapack at each stop with some solar. There isn't a single place along there with even 250kW of generation for the little town micro grids there. Let alone running a couple of SC's at that rate.

There's actually only 8 Petrol stations along that route at all... so well hmm... I don't think we'll see a SC out there for another 5 years or more?

The smaller 75kW chargers will be easier, but will likely be booked out fairly quickly. But at $500k each that is a pretty low ROI, only possible using gov. subsidies really.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
yeah, I don’t have to charge at a charge station.

In my Lightning, I’ve charged at a station twice, once on the way to and then again from our annual beach vacation 180 miles away - and only then did I charge out of an over-abundance of caution because it was my first BEV road trip, and I had two toddlers in the car.l with >100° temps. Now that I’m confident in its range, next year I won’t stop to charge at all on that trip.

Living in central Texas, the Lighting can easily do not only the beach, but Houston (165mi / 265km), Dallas (196mi / 315km), and similar reach.

If we ever needed to drive to El Paso (576 mi / 930km), I’d either have a bullet-proof charging plan, take the wife’s ICE, rent an ICE, or … by then have a Tesla charging subscription.
Yeah makes sense to take it easy on your first trips. I suppose the thing to get used to with an EV is that in a pinch you can get power from any socket if you have an extension cable in the car, and you have enough time. It's either that or go much slower, I think for most EV's it's around the 30-40mph mark for best range. Just start early rather than late, then you can speed up later on if you see that you have enough.

What would be nice to see on EVs is a calculation running in the background that gives a warning if you are going to be out of range of the nearest public charger. That would at least ease the nagging feeling a bit I think. Bit like airplanes avionics show the nearest airports in case of a emergency.

Hopefully at some point V2V charging is more common and at decent charge rates. If you have a Lightning buddy at least you can use the built in inverter for a top up. I'm hopeful CT inverter is even better, and that we get some V2X options on it.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
What would be nice to see on EVs is a calculation running in the background that gives a warning if you are going to be out of range of the nearest public charger. That would at least ease the nagging feeling a bit I think. Bit like airplanes avionics show the nearest airports in case of a emergency.

I think Tesla vehicles already constantly estimates next supercharger location and if needed warns the driver to slow down.

Hopefully at some point V2V charging is more common and at decent charge rates. If you have a Lightning buddy at least you can use the built in inverter for a top up. I'm hopeful CT inverter is even better, and that we get some V2X options on it.
The standard lowest price Ford Lightning Pro does not have 220/240V outlet (only 110/120V).

Every Cybertruck including the least expensive is supposed to have 220/240V outlet.
Probably by end of 2025 there will not only be more Cybertrucks on the road than Lightnings so every Cybertruck could top off any brand/model EV using 110/120V outlet and if the EV had a 220/240V mobile charge cable the top up charge could be done fairly rapidly.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Righto.

To be honest I have no idea what they plan on using to power the 1200km stretch between Ceduna and Norseman. The only thing I can imagine is diesel generators for now, until they can get, or even afford to get a Tesla megapack at each stop with some solar. There isn't a single place along there with even 250kW of generation for the little town micro grids there. Let alone running a couple of SC's at that rate.

There's actually only 8 Petrol stations along that route at all... so well hmm... I don't think we'll see a SC out there for another 5 years or more?

The smaller 75kW chargers will be easier, but will likely be booked out fairly quickly. But at $500k each that is a pretty low ROI, only possible using gov. subsidies really.
Yep
Out of the way places would be operationally difficult and unprofitable.

If the EV uptake continues as predicted, the most impacted areas would be those which are remote tourist areas. They rely on the $$ coming in more than anyone. Not only the tourist location, but getting there too.

Looks like the national network is covered first, then we may see special grants / initiatives to keep tourism healthy. It might surprise.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
I think Tesla vehicles already constantly estimates next supercharger location and if needed warns the driver to slow down.
Yeah, I get this all the time and ignore it. Way too conservative.

Glenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Cyber T, S , Infinty, Buick, sligshot, Goldwi
Occupation
Diamond coated surgical burrs
Country flag
Range is terrible if dragging a parachute. The question on my mind is how to reduce the airflow disturbance from CT to flowing over the trailer. Trucking industry implementation is my starting point.
There is an electric assist camper coming out soon, PEBBLE FLOW. I am sure there can be a trailer made to be more efficient. We will get there, we will get better batteries, it takes time, at least Elon got the ball rolling. There should be a 10% increase in learning and developing of electric everything a year. We can not just all the sudden stop all gas or diesel cars. We need to work it out. This is a politician problem, they want it now and that can not happen, we need to upgrade the electric in the USA :)