Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I cancelled my f150 first wave RES when they sent me configurator. thought at the time cybertruck was close to production and didn't need 2 trucks.

I know Tesla is ahead on battery tech but by how much?

F150 long range got 86 miles towing a large/light trailer with 9% left with last 10 miles babied to make it to a charge station. Less than a 3rd of claimed 320 range is disappointing
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Had to get my head around it, but I think I get it.

Basically, the CT's shape advantage is negated by the tow, and comes back to the same aerodynamic capability of the Ford.

That would for example bring the CT's range from 500 miles to say 400 miles, and we would then have to reduce that figure by 60% ish to get the towing range.

So I had calculated 500 miles less 60% = 200 miles range when towing

When in fact, it could be
400 miles less 60% = 160 miles range when towing

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Range is terrible if dragging a parachute. The question on my mind is how to reduce the airflow disturbance from CT to flowing over the trailer. Trucking industry implementation is my starting point.

TheLastStarfighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
Country flag
Not all trailer loads are equal. My old Grand Cherokee suffered 50% range loss with a mid-size uhaul I'd use to pick up appliances or whatever. A small wagon type trailer probably only would knock off 30%. A full-size RV or a boat? Yeah, that's gonna kill an EV just like it kills a gas truck, and knock off 70%. People just notice less with gas because it's quick to fill. If you're hauling a house on wheels, you'll want a 500mile range truck and plot your superchargers. You'll likely only get about 200 miles, but hopefully there are chargers along the way. There are in most places.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
How much range loss will be largely largely dependent on the aerodynamics of the trailer, some trailers will reduce range more than others. For me, I wouldn't buy any electric vehicle planning to do distance towing. Everything I've seen shows a range loss of 30%-70%, depending on trailer, terrain and to a lesser degree weight. If you are going to tow, you are going to have to charge to a much higher percentage to make to the next charger which will really add charging time. You are going to have to drop the trailer for many, probably safe to say most, chargers. If you have a large trailer with a weight distributing hitch, that is a hassle even in good weather. More power to anyone that wants to do that, but I wouldn't do it if that is a significant planned use for the truck.

Short distance towing will be great with any etruck.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla EvTruck range depends lowesre costbattery suppler LFP configuration

BYD B LFP 400mile range
CATL Q LFP 620 mile range
Panasonic RC LFP 320 mile range
Panasonic NMC 300 mile range

Tesla EvTuck reange depends on the battery company
CTs will be using the Tesla 4680. That has never changed since they were announced. No one knows what size the pack will be but there have been numerous predictions based on the original range quotes and the specs that Tesla gave out for the 4680 cell.

Reactions: DFW

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe it will come with 180kw(500 miles) , but option to increase to 300kw for $7000.

Which is $58per kw, but the pack is already done.. its just the raw components.

I'd say Hell Yes.

DO it Elon !!!!!!

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Range is terrible if dragging a parachute. The question on my mind is how to reduce the airflow disturbance from CT to flowing over the trailer. Trucking industry implementation is my starting point.
Tesla SEMI already plowed that field.

Cybertruck is Tesla final answer for pickup.

See that space between those two? That’s not daylight. Weathermen use the term when it looks like clear blue sky. They call it - sucker hole. That’s pretty apropos for wind resistance increased by velocity squared. At this point in time, the only vehicle that bridges between Cybertruck and SEMI is ICE.

Can Tesla build a smaller vehicle off its SEMI platform? How many do you want; right? That’s where any excursions into the sucker hole should start. Without a volume ramp for a vehicle suited to light industrial-heavy commercial-crazy consumer there ain’t ever gonna be but Cybertruck and SEMI.

More. Creativity using charging, incentivizing subsidy and offset schemes by various industries bring answers to the problem that are much cheaper than throwing SEMI’s at it. We gonna see a whole bunch of cool, sustainable solutions that put BEV in-service in-replacing that Ross Perot giant sucking sound you hear at the pump.

Cybertrucks might be half the cost of SEMI bridging the gap were the right solution in-place. Tesla’s throwing darts at it as we speak. Come up with a viable pilot solution in one place, one industry. Maybe Tesla has a way to make it happen.

Someday sooner than later “EVdolley”. A SEMI but eliminate cab above battery box; install Autopilot with CONVOY mode in slave to a lead Cybertruck. Gang EVdolley’s pulling trailers autonomously behind lead CT with a proprietary “SpaceBee repeater” network between a whole wireless connected convoy of EVdolley trailers. Maybe…

Gaston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberTruck Tri-motor
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Well reality is starting to set in for me. My trusty Dodge RAM 1500 is starting to show it's age.
More concerns of
  • When I would actually get my CT, (I'm not a spring chicken anymore)
  • How much it will end up costing,
  • Very Limited range towing in the hills/mts of Tennessee/Virginia
  • Availability of fast charging stations out in the country that has any room for trailers
  • Having to unhook/rehook trailer/WDH
  • Forget about an expensive basic battery dolly for me with more sway, charging time, backing up nightmares....
I considered putting in an order for one of the other EV pickups, but those reservation lines are so long now and CT is the only one that shows any hopeful range with towing.
:confused:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Tesla EvTruck range depends on lowest cost battery suppler and LFP configuration

BYD B LFP 400mile range
CATL Q LFP 620 mile range
Panasonic RC LFP 320 mile range
Panasonic NMC 300 mile range

Tesla EvTuck range depends on the battery company
FYI
Tesla Texas is moving tooling from Tesla China so Texas can dump round can LFP and build Model Y with old 2170 cells.
Tesla is buying BYD flat B LFP cells
Tesla is buying CATL flat Q LFP cells
Tesla 2025 will buy Panasonic LFP cells from its American factory when its online.
Future
Why Tesla is Tesla it sees a production problem in EvBattery and jumps to the lowest cost most productive EvBattery. Just like the chip shortage
Future is never fixed for Tesla. It has to move quick or die.
Do you ever listen to Elon or Drew speak about CT features? He has repeatedly said that the CT will have to use the latest/best technology batteries and pack due to its weight and power requirements. So LFP would have been out from the get go. Moreover, during Battery Day he and Drew showed that the CT would be using the 4680/structural battery pack. Not just the tri-motor but all trims. Finally, he has stalled CT production in part because the 4680 cell plant isn't producing the needed quantities yet. So I do not know why this LFP comment keeps cropping up. It has to be such a low-probability possibility that it isn't worth discussing. It is likely (although I would not hazard a guess as to when or which vehicles would have them) that Panasonic and others will produce 4680 cells for Tesla, but they will be 4680s.
Sponsored