Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
A weight distribution hitch uses 2 bars that attach to the tongue of the trailer and pry the front of the truck down. While it does help level the truck its purpose is to put weight back on the front tires to aid in steering and braking.

What does that have to do with a self-leveling height-adjusting truck, tho?

-Crissa
Sponsored

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Won't the truck with its variable height suspension be like a weight distributing hitch?

-Crissa
I was thinking the same thing. But the CT's TRI carrying capacity is 1.5 tons , and can tow 14,000 pounds 6.5ish tons.

In comparison to most other popular towing vehicles such as Nissan patrol etc which tow about 3.5 tons and half the carrying capacity.

Whilst weight distribution hitches are recommended, I can;t see a need for one if we carry say a 4 ton RV.
Even if we had 4 people sitting in the CT, and 300 kg in the back, and 300kg tow ball weight... we would still be about 50% capacity.

And we have a Tesla, which is smart enough to see the RV and level out as appropriate.

So , I dont see a need for weight distribution hitch.

And with 4WS, we probably won't need sway control. It will be conflicting to Tesla AI like radar was to FSD.

Rutrow

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3, CyberTruck Tri-motor reservation
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
Airbags in the CyberTruck (and any other airbag equipped vehicle) will not accomplish the main objectives of a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH). I've tried before, in person to explain how WDHs work, without much success. I've been impressed with the intelligence of folks here on this forum, so I sat down to explain the physics of them, but by the 500th word, realized that it defies non-multi-media explanations, so I erased the whole thing...

Let me just state that "leveling the vehicle" and "getting the headlight stop blinding oncoming traffic" are only helpful side effects of WDHs. The MAIN objectives of WDHs is to: 1) reduce the weight on an overloaded rear axle, and 2) Improve stopping and steering ability by increasing the weight on the front axle.

Adjustable suspension cannot do either of these things, and in fact, can only make them worse. The airbags on the rear axle only serve to raise the fulcrum (rear axle), so only worsen the high pointing headlights.

I found a video showing the results of airbag vs WDH that show the effects each have on axle weights.

Seeing how a WDH shifts weight to the trailer axle and front axle may help one get their head around how WDHs work. Hope this helps.

TomGriff

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 MS 70D, 17 Bolt Premier, CT Reserved, Yamaha T7
Country flag
Won't the truck with its variable height suspension be like a weight distributing hitch?

-Crissa
WDHs do level the truck, but they also reduce hitch weight (a bit factor for larger trailers) and help with anti-sway. Self leveling will help with anti-sway by preserving the truck on level but a WDH will provide more anti-sway by reducing bounce and providing more stability between truck and trailer. Not all trailers need a WDH. It is a really good question and I will be interested to see what Tesla recommends. I saw a video with a R1T using a WDH - . I believe they have towed quite a bit so guessing they needed the WDH even with air suspension that is self leveling.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I still don't see the difference.

-Crissa
Ok, when you are towing a trailer you need a certain amount of tongue weight typically 10% give or take.

When you have 500+lbs on the back bumper the rear axle acts like the fulcrum in a lever system. Which tries to lift the front tires.

The bars on the weight distribution hitch act like a frame extension. The connection will rotate side to side but will not move up and down. When you connect the bars to the tongue at the end of the bars it uses the bars as a pry bar to push the front back down.

With an truck that can level itself the rear axle is still the fulcrum even though the truck looks level. The loss of weight on the front axle is still there.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
My iCE RV puller gets mileage reduction of 50% while humping the notorious Donner Summit. As i observed, the mpg reduction is also a function on whether the humping is just a quickie or extra long until you reach her peak.

So I won't be complaining if I get the same off my Cybertruck. Besides, 150 miles is my typical stop for bathroom break and lunch while RVing..

Tech aside, my previous RV and puller combo did not require a weight distribution hitch but stability and handling difference is most apparent with and without. Try driving without one a 50mph cross wind off I-15 and I-80.:eek:

Last edited:

Deleted member 12457

Tech aside, my previous RV and puller combo did not require a weight distribution hitch but stability and handling difference is most apparent with and without. Try driving without one a 50mph cross wind off I-15 and I-80.:eek:
Been there, done that all the way on I-5 from Central CA to the Canadian boarder. It can be white knuckle driving the entire route.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Been there, done that all the way on I-5 from Central CA to the Canadian boarder. It can be white knuckle driving the entire route.

Seeing that you are from WA, my scariest was in Coastal 101 encountering triple trailer logging trucks on full load barreling down on sharp curves on the two-lane portions of the freeway whle pulling my RV.

My close call was going downhill to Lee Vining at Yosemite's 9,000+foot Tioga Pass where my brakes, being used only intermittently still overheating and failing, when my gears and 4WD was already engaged in low.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12457

Seeing that you are from WA, my scariest was in Coastal 101 with triple trailer logging truck on full load barreling down on sharp curves on the two-lane portions of the freeway.

My close call was going downhill to Lee Vining at Yosemite's 9,000+foot Tioga Pass where my brakes, being used only intermittently still overheating and failing, when my gears and 4WD was already engaged in low.
I have all sorts of names to call logging truck drivers like you but I'm happy you're still alive. It's not something I'd ever do.

I'm hoping the Tesla Semi will include advanced FSD capabilities to help slow trucks down when going downhill on all the crazy logging roads and highways on the West Coast. I've seen a couple trips off the road on Hwy 199 between Grants Pass and Crescent City, a small highway I avoid at all costs. The largest truck I've ever driven is a 26-ft UHaul along I-5 crossing five passes luckily without enough snow to close the highway. Taking my time and downshifting kept me safe.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
I know it was talked about before,
but it still blows my mind that no 1 has figured how to connect cab to trailer with some strong slightly flexible cloth material, the little gap in semis " the gap between the tractor and trailer. As air flows into this gap, it produces another 25% of the overall drag". ill draw a pic...
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning ha

I would imagine if some1 came up with a similar thing for CT or any truck really it would increase range. Maybe its just harder to design than it seems.
Tesla Cybertruck Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning HAHA