Hopefully Cybertruck tow range is better than F-150 Lightning

Deleted member 12457

I'm aware of the numbers and timeframes involved and is why my first order on the realease night was for a USA based CT. 🙂
Will you have any issues importing a left hand drive into Australia? I have no idea what Tesla's plans are for right-hand drive CTs.
Sponsored

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
Will you have any issues importing a left hand drive into Australia? I have no idea what Tesla's plans are for right-hand drive CTs.
The plan is easy, buy and drive the first order CT in the USA and wait for 3-4 orders to arrive in AU.
I have cars here already, but am looking forward to a a few USA roadtrips.

If I did import and have to convert it, which I doubt I ever will, drive side conversions are big business over here with lots of options for US trucks. It should be simpler than most ICE conversions.

Deleted member 12457

If I did import and have to convert it, which I doubt I ever will, drive side conversions are big business over here with lots of options for US trucks. It should be simpler than most ICE conversions.
I wouldn't bet on that with the CT. I'm sure Tesla has already designed right-hand drive CTs and maybe even are designing the front chassis to support either location but the steering wheel location and dashboard (maybe not this part depending on where it's placed) might not be configured, requiring aftermarket adjustments to lots of things, especially wiring harnesses. I also wonder whether Tesla would warranty these changes.

Do we know if the CT is drive-by-wire or is it still mechanical? If DbW (just made that up) then moving the steering wheel might be easier but I'm not spending $50-$100K on a brand new truck just to have some garage guy screw it up.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I wouldn't bet on that with the CT. I'm sure Tesla has already designed right-hand drive CTs and maybe even are designing the front chassis to support either location but the steering wheel location and dashboard (maybe not this part depending on where it's placed) might not be configured, requiring aftermarket adjustments to lots of things, especially wiring harnesses. I also wonder whether Tesla would warranty these changes.

Do we know if the CT is drive-by-wire or is it still mechanical? If DbW (just made that up) then moving the steering wheel might be easier but I'm not spending $50-$100K on a brand new truck just to have some garage guy screw it up.
Moving the steering, mechanical or not, or wiring, is not the big problem, it's more the safety gear like airbags etc that have to conform and still be safe. Ford uses a local converter here for there F150 imports, there is enough expertise here, they all have to comply with ADR. Warranty is from the converters for anything they change, or is caused by their change. They also have insurance cover etc for their work. But I'm not looking for a conversion. You can actually drive it as is now here as well, if you can get it in as a "collectors" model.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Do we know if the CT is drive-by-wire or is it still mechanical?
There is a ton of evidence that the steering will not be drive-by-wire Including quotes from Elon, and virtually no evidence that it is DbW (I like it), other than a few random people speculating.

edit: Rear wheels in a four wheel steering system will almost definately be steer by wire. If it does end up being mechanical I will be seriously questioning all engineering decisions made by Tesla. The probably of the rear wheels being mechanical steering is virtually 0. ( I never use absolutes… never).

Last edited:

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Someone has already made it to the north shore of Alaska in a Model Y. Not going to be hard to do in a Rivian, F-150 lightning, and especially not hard in a Cybertruck.
Seems there is a catch on that F150 Lightning with pop-up truck camper to Alaska's North Shore.

It will be shadowed by Ford Ecoboost that will be provide the charging.:sick:

Why not just teeter it so they can save time with stopping?:p

Deleted member 12457

Not sure if this is the correct forum article but was watching an Electrified youtube video and he showed Musk saying "When fully loaded, the Tesla Semi should be able to achieve over 500 miles of range." To me that means the range of the Semi is based not on an empty trailer but a full one. My hope is Tesla will design the CT the same way, which they could do if they designed the battery size the same way they're designing the Semi's battery.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Not sure if this is the correct forum article but was watching an Electrified youtube video and he showed Musk saying "When fully loaded, the Tesla Semi should be able to achieve over 500 miles of range." To me that means the range of the Semi is based not on an empty trailer but a full one. My hope is Tesla will design the CT the same way, which they could do if they designed the battery size the same way they're designing the Semi's battery.
People have discussed this early on a couple years back if I remember correctly. I remember them talking about the tri motor and it’s saying 500 miles plus they kept saying plus plus meaning as if they were something further something more out of it. This fully loaded response is cool. Share video. We would truly enjoy it. Anyways, I’ve always thought the same thing. That it had to be plus because of unloaded, it would go further. But, how far? That was the question I always wanted answered where to find out more about. Ultimately, it’s the distance I can get out of this Cybertruck that means a lot to me.
please find and share.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
A semi-truck's natural state is loaded. Almost no consumer pickup spends most of its time fully loaded to limits. I'd bet $1k that the range stated will be either unloaded or with a normal passenger load.

Cybr on

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 UncorkedMS75awd+Upgrade fsd,M3LRawd+fsd,CT3FSD
Country flag
Everybody here is trying to solve the problem to get the key from the wizard🤣🤣

OP
OP
Alpine

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The semi is its own animal. No comparison to ct imo. It can hold just about any size battery you can throw at it and comercial customers have their own requirements. tesla has to provide what that industry asks or the switch to electric and resulting truck sales won't be there.

Deleted member 12457

The semi is its own animal. No comparison to ct imo. It can hold just about any size battery you can throw at it and comercial customers have their own requirements. tesla has to provide what that industry asks or the switch to electric and resulting truck sales won't be there.
There is a weight limit on the batteries because it cuts into the maximum weight allowance (GVWR). There has to be a balance between the weight of batteries and the range. More batteries (weight) stops turning into longer range. As for what industry wants, I remember reading something about some diesel rigs having enough fuel tanks to go well over a thousand miles but that kind of range isn't necessary for the majority of drivers. There's also legal limits on how long drivers can drive in a single day and even if you double that with a two driver crew, 500 miles is a long way to drive in one day.

500m/70mph=7hr (driving across Texas or several northern states at 70mph) Even truck drivers need to stop once in awhile and if truck stops install V99 superduper chargers, hopefully a half hour pit stop would give them enough charge to go another few hundred miles.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
What extra supplies? The bigger vehicle takes extra supplies. The longer range vehicle takes less logistics.

-Crissa
Spare horses, horse feed, cooking gear, camping gear, extra ammo, trade goods, spare wagon wheel, axle grease, axe... the list goes on. LOL
Sponsored