Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
I was thinking I could help pay for the Tri motor by making some hot shot runs. I was looking into the licensing and insurance requirements for becoming a hot shot driver. I would probably also need a trailer.

Would there be enough of a benefit if I was only making 1-2 runs a month at no more than 800 miles?
Sponsored

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
IMO, you'll make some side money with a car dolly and a 20' deck between equipment trailer. Maybe a small open car trailer.

I don't think the CT is up for hot shot work. I've seen one F350 single rear wheel with a two car wedge attached. It just didn't make sense to me.

I have a neighbor that just sold his 2015 Ford F450 and ordered a new 2021 F550. He's the guy to call to move a tractor, a car, a Unimog, go get broken Razor, etc. No DOT number, just pay him in cash.

I have a DOT number for my side business and it's a huge PITA.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Cybertruck needs Class6-7 (19,500 to 27,500 lbs) suspension minimum to run Commercial. Been there done that. The rated weight CT = 14000# is not a tow problem. Wear and tear on 3/4ton bearings, rotors, pads and steering linkages is the commercial service impacts. You actually need no less than 8 hole Budd wheels, to keep operating costs on consumables under control.

Cybertruck is a retail consumer product. It can tow 14000#, haul 3500# payload and is more than a one trick pickup in so many ways. A retail customer weekend trip and yearly toy hauler cross country will be the primary customer demographic. All ½ ton truck and ¾ ton pickup use == no problem. Only “white-glove” commercial use above this range fits a Cybertruck (i.e. wooden canoes, pianos, handmade<Fav>, nursery, etc...).

OP
OP
Sgt. Glenn

Sgt. Glenn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cybertruckphotography.com
Vehicles
2012 JKU Call of Duty/ Modern Warfare Edition
Occupation
Aerospace Photographer
Country flag
Cybertruck needs Class6-7 (19,500 to 27,500 lbs) suspension minimum to run Commercial. Been there done that. The rated weight CT = 14000# is not a tow problem. Wear and tear on 3/4ton bearings, rotors, pads and steering linkages is the commercial service impacts. You actually need no less than 8 hole Budd wheels, to keep operating costs on consumables under control.

Cybertruck is a retail consumer product. It can tow 14000#, haul 3500# payload and is more than a one trick pickup in so many ways. A retail customer weekend trip and yearly toy hauler cross country will be the primary customer demographic. All ½ ton truck and ¾ ton pickup use == no problem. Only “white-glove” commercial use above this range fits a Cybertruck (i.e. wooden canoes, pianos, handmade<Fav>, nursery, etc...).
I would only carry the small hot shot loads. I’m not sure how many of those are in my area and a regular basis. I’m not sure how much those pay and if it would be worth it for the little I would be available. It’s sounding like it’s not worth it.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Intermountain West is booming. I saw the Overthrust boom years. Hauling pipe up into Rollins WY and around oil rigs was a common haul with a bentonite backhaul out of WY. Today? Find the hot ticket.

You could YOYO loads DEN-PHX-SLC-BOI-RNO. Light loads? Check chainstores, distributors and specialties (carbon fibre makers, brokers, CorpHQ’s and mfgrs). Look for gravy runs scheduled in advance then pound the pavement for backhauls. You’ll only need 1-2 good sources that you can service comfortably.

Don't underestimate large corps. You can offer to run overnight and emergency service where a shipper has to arrange power, load and driver then ship. Transplant teams often need to get something fast and flying isn’t always faster. You have 110/240 onboard so cooling isn’t impossible.

Have a blast, disrupt something!

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I was thinking when I end up in Queensland, My wife (Chinese) and I, for a smallish fee, could take Chinese couples for adventure outings. Perhaps CT beach ride and drone fishing, dinner under the stars.

Not for income so much, but it would keep me amused. It might be fun.
I may end up doing it once, and then never again ! lol
Sponsored