How ‘switched reluctance motors’ are being brought back, mainly to advance electric mobility

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
How ‘switched reluctance motors’ are being brought back, mainly to advance electric mobility
M Ramesh | Updated on August 15, 2021

It is an age-old, simple and cheap technology, yet shelved for nearly two centuries because it was never easy to use. It is a technology centred around reluctance.

The first ‘switched reluctance motor’ was made in the early 19th century. Reluctance is the property of a material to resist the flow of magnetic flux — similar to ‘resistance’ to ‘current’. The physics behind it is fairly simple. Magnetic flux — the invisible magnetic lines passing through a surface — likes to travel down the path of least resistance (‘reluctance’). A reluctance motor uses this principle. It has a rotor with alternating regions of high and low reluctance and a stator featuring electromagnets. When electricity is supplied through them, the rotor will rotate.

And now, switched reluctance motors are being brought back, mainly to serve the electric mobility revolution.

Why now
The comeback is for two broad reasons: Cost and China.

Motors need magnets; today the best magnets are made of rare earths — neodymium, dysprosium, samarium, strontium, cobalt and so on. China controls the supply and trade of rare earths. Wary of China’s grip, the world has been trying to find other ways of making efficient motors (see ‘The Big Attraction’, in Quantum dated August 2, 2021).

So, if you can make magnets without rare earths, you are a winner. But you are a bigger winner if you can make motors without permanent magnets.

This is where switched reluctance motors (SRMs) come in. All you need to make them are copper and steel. That means lower costs. Steel costs around ₹100 a kg, copper costs ₹800 a kg, while magnets cost ₹6,000 a kg. SRMs, overall, are 30-40 per cent cheaper than conventional motors.

In a motor, when you supply current, you get a torque — the twisting force that creates rotation. To put it simply, the more the current the greater the torque. However, the relationship between current and torque is also dependent on the rotor position and the current through the windings. This relationship, in an SRM, is non-linear, which means if you double the current you don’t double the torque. You have to send just the right amount of current in the windings to make it work, which is difficult.

“Owing to the non-linear behaviour of SRMs, the motor parameters need to be constantly monitored,” says Bhaktha Keshavachar, Founder and CEO of Chara Technologies, a Bengaluru-based start-up, which designs SRMs. “But now, with better computing power and machine learning-based algorithms, it is possible to better control the SRMs,” he told Quantum.

The power of algo
This is how it works: By creating a ‘digital twin’ of the motor in software and mapping to it the observed parameters such as current, voltage and position, the current applied at any instance can be controlled optimally to enable smooth operation and extract the desired performance. “With the increased computing power, it is now possible to perform on-the-edge, real-time optimisation of currents based on the electromagnetic behaviour of the motor,” says Keshavachar.

EVs and beyond
Electric vehicles need high-powered motors, and those that fit the bill contain rare earth magnets — which means dependence on China. Further, the motors in electric vehicles heat up more, which is a problem because degmagnetisation occurs above 150 degrees C.

SRMs can withstand extreme temperatures. A Bengaluru-based start-up called Bounceshare, which rents out scooters at a per km charge, has said it would manufacture 30,000 electric scooters featuring SRMs.

“SRMs are coming back with a bang,” says Amith Bysani, Head of Products, Chara Technologies. Two companies, Turntide Technologies and Advanced Electric Machines, both based in the UK, are bringing out SRMs. Advanced Electric Machines’ technology even allows the use of the cheaper aluminium instead of copper for the windings.

Though SRMs are often hyphenated with EVs, they can gainfully replace any motor. SRMs will “create a new revolution in India,” says Ravi Singh, Partner, Kalaari Capital, which has invested in Chara.

https://www.thehindubusinessline.co...eturns-to-aid-ev-adoption/article35923898.ece
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Switched reluctance need bushings, which are a physical part that wears out. They can also lose performance - like permanent magnet rotors - due to heat stress over time.

Pros and cons, article, remember them both!

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Tesla has been using hybrid SRM's i.e. PMSRM's with embedded permanent magnets in them for a while now. My dual motor X has a PMSRM motor in the front. But, as noted, the magnets, while they solve some problems, cause others the biggest of which is cost. Thus Tesla, as discussed by Musk in some detail recently, appears to be going back to induction motors that is the carbon fiber wrapped copper rotor induction motors implying that this is the technology that will be used in the CT. It seems that the carbon wrapping allows higher rotor speed and smaller gap both implying more power for lower current and thus greater efficiency than in conventional IM's. It will be interesting to see what actually is in the CT when it finally ships.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Tesla has been using hybrid SRM's i.e. PMSRM's with embedded permanent magnets in them for a while now.

It will be interesting to see what actually is in the CT when it finally ships.
It took quite awhile to figure out what the Model 3 motors used. Tesla isn't very revealing either unless Elon is asked and decides to respond via Twitter.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
The owner's manuals list the motors, e.g. (X LR+)

TeslaMotors.png

Note that this is the opposite of the configuration mentioned in the Tweet.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The owner's manuals list the motors, e.g. (X LR+)

TeslaMotors.png

Note that this is the opposite of the configuration mentioned in the Tweet.
Yes I know. I posted that sometime back, if you remember, during our back-and forth over motors.

I'm also wondering what the voltage architecture will be, any guesses?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Afraid memory isn't my long suite. I know I have posted on motor speculations before though. Let me be clear that I am not predicting that the CT will have CRIMs. I haven' the temerity. Musk made a big fuss over them in one of his recent presentations and that suggests that the CT will use them but he's also been suggesting FSD by the end of the current year for several years now. He has also made a big fuss over 4680's suggesting that the CT's will use them but I won't make a definite statement on motors or batteries until the truck is in my driveway.

On voltage: I think that the CT is going to stick with the 380 V architecture because of intertia (I mean organizational inertia - not rotor inertia). The big advantage of double voltage is half the current for the same power but as half the current requires twice as many turns for the same flux the benefits of reduced current aren't realized in the motor. Lower current means lighter wiring elsewhere in the vehicle though but the main advantage of it seems to be faster charging.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I know Elon tweeted “Switched Reluctance” motors but from what I’ve been researching and what I’ve seen on the Munro tear downs, the Tesla motors look like synchronous reluctance motors, not switched reluctance. Switched reluctance motors from what I’ve researched have isolated stator windings and do not have the same number of poles in the stator as the rotor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
It's clear from the manual section reproduced in No. 5 and the Munro teardowns that the motors in the cars are not pure reluctance motors. The magnets are obvious. At the same time Musk has touted what seems to be a new induction motor. I guess anything is possible but they must have a pretty good idea as to what is going into the CT at this point.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
It seems a lot of people are playing fast and loose with the terms permanent magnet, reluctance, synchronous reluctance and switched reluctance. In the industrial world there are also surface mount permanent magnet motors and interior mount permanent magnet motors. I THINK (haven't found definite proof yet) that the PM synchronous reluctance motors in EV's are the same thing as the Interior mounted permanent magnet motors we use in the industrial world. I have a working theory on what each motor is, but with all the conflicting information, I can't say my theories are correct.

There's an engineer at work who I'd love to talk to about this but he's a very busy man and I'd hate to ping him out of the blue about non-work stuff. If we were all working in the office, I'd bump into him in the halls or in the cafeteria and ask him. I believe he wrote, or at least consulted with people who wrote the motor control code in all of our current products.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Perhaps this will help you with the terminology. It's been posted before.

Clearly the motor Munro did a video on was interior type with the nabla (or maybe V) configuration (IIRC). Various motors have been used in EV, even, I think, a pure switched reluctance one. And manufacturers and researchers are always trying new things hence the article cited in the OP and the CRIM (if that's what it really is) that Musk has been crowing about.

Motors.jpeg

Please note the interconnecting line between PMASR and IPMM on the diagram. I don't think it is always possible to put a motor in one class or another.

Last edited:

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Perhaps this will help you with the terminology
Yes, that does agree with my theories. Thanks. So would you agree that it is incorrect to call the Model 3/Y motor a PM SWITCHED reluctance motor and that it, given the information we have on it, is actually a PM Synchronous Reluctance motor?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
I'd say it is potentially incorrect to describe it in any terms other than those used in the manual but as whatever it is it develops some reluctance torque I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it wasn't called an induction motor.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You are confusing what you read here with an e-mail from your doctor.
Sponsored