How big of a price increase would you tolerate?

How big a price increase would you tolerate and still buy a Cybertruck?

• 30% - CT1 - $52,000, CT2 - $65,000, CT3 - $91,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MOAR!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Seems like there is a vocal minority who keep piping up about inevitable price increase. Personally I don’t think they are inevitable, but I’ll leave that discussion for the 3-4 other threads that seem consumed by this assumption. More interesting to me is how big an increase would you tolerate?

Maybe we can limit discussion here to that and leave the discussion of whether it’s “Inevitable” to other discussions.

To be honest, it felt a little ridiculous posting 30% and 50% price increases on this poll, but I’ve heard multiple people suggest increases would be that high.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
FWIW, I voted 10%, but I would almost certainly have to move from CT3 to CT2 so I could afford options. I might do that regardless. Even that is pushing things, this vehicle is replacing a Subaru Outback. Any more I’ll just stick it out for a few years until the car market sorts itself out.

A 15% increase would mean the CT3 would no longer be eligible for the current proposed incentive plan, effectively making it a 26.5% increase. A 10% increase would mean almost any options added to the CT3 would similarly push the vehicle over the incentive threshold. (Assuming Senate version). This is the other reason I’d drop to the CT2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I don't have alot of price flexibility.

I don't believe they'll raise the price on existing reservations.

-Crissa
Nor do I. But in particular this talk about $15k+ price increases just piqued my curiosity whether anyone would tolerate that kind of craziness.

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
Nor do I. But in particular this talk about $15k+ price increases just piqued my curiosity whether anyone would tolerate that kind of craziness.
Not willing to flex here either. If it would happen, it sure would make the wait shorter for those willing to pay more, but I wouldn't be one of them.

EV Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ordered our 2020 Model S LR a year ago for $70K. The 2021 is now $95K. Yes, part of that 33% increase was a short-term price cut followed by a refresh.

Despite its vertical integration, move from California, and other cost saving measures, Tesla is not immune from hyperinflation, and cannot sell a million CTs at a loss. Tri motor Plaid is $130K. A Tri motor CT for $70K? He might sell a few at that price to keep his word, but those of us further down the list will be lucky if it’s less than 6 figures.

Just don’t blame Tesla. They didn’t lie - the truth changed. All manufacturers have the same dilemma. And prepare for 10% interest on your loan. Those of us who bought cars in the 80’s remember that.

akcoyote

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S; Dual motor CT w/FSD reservation
Occupation
retired
Country flag
While the current inflationary period does make it appear Tesla will be unable to sell CTs at the originally announced prices, I think if there is a price increase they will try to make it a minimal one.

Zabhawkin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 Nissan Frontier, 2015 F-150, 1984 Jeep CJ7
Country flag
I don't have a lot of flexibility, 500 miles is a must as I live in a rural area and I already take long drives where even a 500 mile gas truck gets range anxiety. The tri-motor is a stretch as it is.

I doubt it will go up, from what I understand the price at reservation is fixed.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
I don't have alot of price flexibility.

I don't believe they'll raise the price on existing reservations.

-Crissa
Just wondering why you do not believe it.

Will there not be some four years between the reveal and the roll-outs, years during which most other prices have gone up? And if the prices remain original, and the early roll-outs are successful, will not some of the new owners offer theirs for re-sale at a profit that would otherwise go to Tesla?Did not the original prices include a "subject to change" attachment?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
It is a wild Wild West (Texas is west for me). Lightning reservation holders are already freaking out because they can’t find dealers that will commit to no mark up and those that do commit likely to change their mind after you order. $5K-$10K over MSRP specially in metro areas seem to be normal now. That reflects in Tesla current price increases too.

If I am still around and have not purchased something else by the time my number comes up, I would likely to drop out if I can’t get CT2 at $50K. But even if I was willing to pay more, I wouldn’t say it in this poll giving Tesla the green light for price increase..

Please change all your votes to Zero. Honesty is not always the best policy. Look at this pole like you would at the question: “honey do I look fat?”

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Just don’t blame Tesla. They didn’t lie - the truth changed. All manufacturers have the same dilemma. And prepare for 10% interest on your loan. Those of us who bought cars in the 80’s remember that.
It doesn’t matter.

Whether Tesla was engaging in deceitful marketing or not, most people can’t afford a 30% increase in the cost of a planned purchase. Particularly not since I suspect many, like me, pushed up a tier in pricing already. Many people are saving up for this car and a big price increase means moving the goalposts significantly.

The Model S has always been sold as a luxury car. The Cybertruck was sold as a utility vehicle. The presentation was an hour long comparison to one of the most affordable, practical vehicles on the market today… the F150 has not risen in price 20% in the past 2 years.

People shopping for the F150 are a lot more sensitive to pricing changes than people shopping for a Mercedes S Class.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Depends on what your competition is. The base F150 Lightning is already the same cost as the base Cybertruck. The base Rivian is roughly the cost of the tri-motor.

Not a ton of room for bumping prices here. We should see Ford’s final pricing soon, if the “leaked” price list is correct, there isn’t a ton of room for Cybertruck price bumps there either.
Sponsored

Last edited: