How far can I get when plug-in home outlet for 48 hours?

MyFirstElectricTesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz
Country flag
If I go to my sister's house and plug-in at 6:00 PM today Friday using her regular home outlet, by 6:00 PM Sunday (48 hrs later) how many miles or % I would get?
Sponsored

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
If you use a standard 120V 15amp outlet, you should get about 12 amps out of it, or 1,440 watts. If you let it charge for 48 hours, that adds up to 69 kWH.

If you use the EPA 340mi range/123kWH battery, that's 2.76mi of range per kWH.

So your 48-hour charge would give you 190 miles of range.

chaosmarine92

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
When I plugged my truck in to a 120v outlet with the mobile charger just to see how it did i got right about 1% per hour overnight in my 75 degree garage. If you park outside in the heat or cold the charge rate will be lower because some of your energy will go toward maintaining the battery temperature.

OP
OP

MyFirstElectricTesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz
Country flag
When I plugged my truck in to a 120v outlet with the mobile charger just to see how it did i got right about 1% per hour overnight in my 75 degree garage. If you park outside in the heat or cold the charge rate will be lower because some of your energy will go toward maintaining the battery temperature.
Any chance you could tap into a preexisting 240v dryer plug?
It's my sister's house, their washer/GAS dryer are inside the house, not in the detached garage with their vehicles. So my CT must be outside to charge and I guess 0.5% rate at night around 55 degrees?

If I cover the truck while charging it would be faster or not?

chaosmarine92

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
It's my sister's house, their washer/GAS dryer are inside the house, not in the detached garage with their vehicles. So my CT must be outside to charge and I guess 0.5% rate at night around 55 degrees?

If I cover the truck while charging it would be faster or not?
Just guessing here but at 55 degrees I'd think it be more like .75% per hour but it's hard to say. Covering it probably wouldn't be worth it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag
I was plugged into a 120V / 15amp outlet at a vacation rental and the charging rate was abysmal. About 0.5% per hour. Wasn’t especially cold, maybe 50 F. Sentry was off.

Known-Background

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
If I go to my sister's house and plug-in at 6:00 PM today Friday using her regular home outlet, by 6:00 PM Sunday (48 hrs later) how many miles or % I would get?
~80 miles so about 20%

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I was plugged into a 120V / 15amp outlet at a vacation rental and the charging rate was abysmal. About 0.5% per hour. Wasn’t especially cold, maybe 50 F. Sentry was off.
You were probably using an extension cord, most are not up to the task and the vehicle will sense the voltage drop (or the temperature increase at the end of the extension cord) and reduce charging current. Even if the vehicle doesn't reduce charging current due to heat or voltage sag the voltage sag alone can cause up to about a 8% reduction in charging speed. It's been years since I charged on a 120V outlet, but it used to be that anything over around 8%-10% voltage sag would cause the vehicle to reduce charging current as a precautionary measure to avoid fires.

Tesla recommends not using an extension cord but, if you do, make sure it is a high quality one with 10-12 gauge wire and without too much unnecessary length. That said, a lot of the resistance can also come from the outlet itself, or the wiring in the walls, if it is substandard and/or a long distance from the service panel that feeds it.

If the 120V outlet is a 20 amp outlet, you get about 30% more miles per hour by using a 20 amp pigtail on the Mobile connector. This doesn't come with the Cybertruck but should be available in the Tesla Store.

I see the O.P is in S. California. Is there a problem with just stopping at a Supercharger for 15 minutes?

OP
OP

MyFirstElectricTesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Benz
Country flag
If the 120V outlet is a 20 amp outlet, you get about 30% more miles per hour by using a 20 amp pigtail on the Mobile connector. This doesn't come with the Cybertruck but should be available in the Tesla Store.
Their house has an 30A 120V in the garage. I didn't know the mobile connector came with CT is limited to 15A. So it doesn't charge faster if I plug it in that 30A without a pigtail? I have another thread about plugging in a higher current outlet and I think just plugin a higher one would charge faster.

I see the O.P is in S. California. Is there a problem with just stopping at a Supercharger for 15 minutes?
Yes, I can. But I don't want to waste time and worry about charging, just wanna enjoy the visit. It's about 120 miles away and depends on how many % left by the end of Friday's work I would need to stop by a Supercharger or not. By the book I can go there and back with a full 100% but to be safe I would just plug-in when arriving and have enough juice to go back home.

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I'd turn off Sentry mode, disable phone key and not log into the app at all. This way you'll reduct the "phantom" drain by cutting off known power consumers.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, BMW, Ford
Country flag
I'd assume pulling 1kw you could get 2 miles per hour give or take. Not horrible to top off but not great if a SC is far away.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model Y LR. Volvo XC70 T6 retired 9/23
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OP
OP